Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anti-static procedures

Hi

For some years now I have been teaching (among other things) PC hardware. I have always been very strong on following proper antistatic procedures (our lab has copious supplies of antistatic straps, antistatic rubber on the desktops and antistatic lino on the floor).

I am getting industry feedback (from some quarters only) that modern electronics doesn't need this kind of care and real life business does not have time to carry out these procedures.

I know where I stand on this - just wondering what others think??

Thanks
    John
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - ASUS Eee 1001PX
    - Samsung S3 Mini Smart Phone
    - Raspberry Pi

Default Re: Anti-static procedures

I've never used any anti static procedures. Well I didnt for the 3 PC's here, the P4, the AMD socket 754, and this socket 775. Theyre all up and running. Havent had any probs since I assembled them. And the few PC's I've checked out (by opening the case). I've never used any anti-static procedures either.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I've never used any anti static procedures.
    However the reality of antistatic damage is this:
    - it takes about 3,000v of static discharge before the average person feels it. Many devices work on less than 2V.
    - antistatic damage is seldom catastrophic - it will reduce the life of the chip.

So if this is the case, how can anyone prove that not using antistatic procedures is "safe"? Non-catastrophic damage is a bit like a crack in a car windscreen - the integrated circuit is damaged and more likely to fail in the future.
    Last edited by johnd; 11-12-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - ASUS Eee 1001PX
    - Raspberry Pi

I have pulled many PCs apart over the years - Seldom had an antistatic wrist strap and have never broken anything.

I do usually try and keep the mains cable plugged in (usually turned off at the wall) and I usually (but not always) try and touch the metal on the chassis to ground myself - particularly if I am going to be handling memory. But like I say - have never broken anything or had it expire prematurely...

Most of the time when working on peoples Hardware or building new PC's I wear the antistatic strap setup.

I do have antistatic work mats as well on the benches along with plug in points, but generally just clip myself to the PC's. Better to be safe than sorry I guess, and only takes a second.

Can be a pain if something is just out of reach and the cable wont quite allow you to reach it
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

PC World Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Hi

For some years now I have been teaching (among other things) PC hardware. I have always been very strong on following proper antistatic procedures (our lab has copious supplies of antistatic straps, antistatic rubber on the desktops and antistatic lino on the floor).

I am getting industry feedback (from some quarters only) that modern electronics doesn't need this kind of care and real life business does not have time to carry out these procedures.

I know where I stand on this - just wondering what others think??

Thanks
    John

When working on any PC I will leave the mains cable plugged in with the PSU switched off, and make sure I ground myself on the case before touching anything and periodically thereafter.

Is there any good reason for doing more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo d View Post
    When working on any PC I will leave the mains cable plugged in with the PSU switched off, and make sure I ground myself on the case before touching anything and periodically thereafter.

One course I went on we did a whole section on static damage -- if you ground yourself on the case thats fine usually, as long as you dont go moving about.

As we were shown all it takes is to take a step or two on carpet for example, and you are now "recharged" -- seen people ground them selves - then later walk out to the loo, go get a cuppa etc- and dont think about grounding again when they came back.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Quote Originally Posted by pablo d View Post

If you have no other option, this is obviously better than nothing. But if you move on carpet, then forget to re-ground yourself ...... (you cannot beat proper procedures).

I maintain the following - if you are working on customers' equipment, then it is not professional to do anything other than use proper antistatic procedures.
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - ASUS Eee 1001PX
    - Raspberry Pi

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post

Why? Static suddenly doesn't exist? The laws of physics have changed?

Time? What's time have to do with it? Maybe they want failing components so the customer comes back and buys something new later.....

If you are working on something electronic that is plugged in, or sealed in some way then I suppose it already is protected but otherwise anti-static precautions should be used. I do.
    wipe your paws.

Bottom line is: serious about anti static, then DONT WEAR SYNTHETIC CLOTHING. OK, that about 100% of us breaking one of the more important anti-static procedures right there. This is near the top of the list(from the semi manufacturers) I had to learn way back in the day.

From memory here...
    Circuits can have basic antistatic protection built in: as simple as a bypass resistor. Most circuits certainly have bypass caps.

In reality, most PC boards,cards & ram seem pretty robust and it really isnt a
    issue most of the time, else PC's would be falling over left right an centre.
    Sure there can be unseen damage, but it usually doesnt manifest itself in the usefull lifetime of a PC.