Angry ZoneAlarm Free & Windows 7

Hi guys,

I was trying to install zonealarm firewall free to windows 7...big mistake!

In the mid of setup, the computer freezed and whenever I restart the computer, its also freeze.

1. I tried to do system restore, but I found out that it's not on (by default?) so there's no system restore point to go back to.
    2. Tried to uninstall zonealarm but because the setup never finished, there is no zonealarm in the installed program list.
    3. I installed registry fix program and run it (in safe mode), still not working.
    4. I unticked all startup program in msconfig, Windows will start but when i tried to open any program, it freeze again.

Running out of ideas here. Help?

My beef is the zonealarm setup did not even warned me about the incompatibility.

Cheers!

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Free & Windows 7

Did the site say it was compatible with windows 7?? Did you download the latest version of ZA?? The install probably wont tell you if its compatible or not. The site should

Quote Originally Posted by wallarro View Post
    Hi guys,

I was trying to install zonealarm firewall free to windows 7...big mistake!

In the mid of setup, the computer freezed and whenever I restart the computer, its also freeze.

1. I tried to do system restore, but I found out that it's not on (by default?) so there's no system restore point to go back to.
    2. Tried to uninstall zonealarm but because the setup never finished, there is no zonealarm in the installed program list.
    3. I installed registry fix program and run it (in safe mode), still not working.
    4. I unticked all startup program in msconfig, Windows will start but when i tried to open any program, it freeze again.

Running out of ideas here. Help?

My beef is the zonealarm setup did not even warned me about the incompatibility.

Cheers!
    what version did you install?

this site says
    ZoneAlarm free firewall will be able to download a free ZoneAlarm 9 (2010) update that supports Windows 7

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...security.htm#1

System Restrore IS on by default on Windows 7? If you didn't disable it maybe some malware etc on your machine did

I had the same problem with a Beta copy of W7. Hell of a job to get rid of as it has 100's of entries in the Registry, and in system32, documents & settings etc. In the end I reinstalled W7. You could try to install Zone alarm in safe mode & then uninstall it, but I don't think it will work.

I now use Comodo Firewall & Microsoft Security with W7 Ultimate, no problems.
    At one stage I used the Comodo Aintivirus as well but it gave a lot of false positives. Avast also works well with Comodo Fire Wall, but MS Security is very good.