Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NTLDR MISSING AND CAN'T BOOT FROM CD-ROM??

Sorry for the lengthy question but I want to give an accurate description as possible so hopefully someone can help me. Last night I decided to reformat my hard drive and start from scratch (Toshiba Satellite notebook utilizing Windows XP Home Edition) at first I tried to run the XP CD right from the start menu. It DID boot up at which point I was asked for a product key. I then remembered ďwait I canít do it from here I have to do it from the start up.ĒI shut the computer down and restarted it. Upon entering the setup I could not delete the partition (it said files were being used) this led me to think that I was in fact still booting from the hard drive and not the CD. I COULD NOT get it to boot from the CD. (Using a generic XP CD) I even changed the primary boot up drive to CD-ROM as the primary instead of the hard drive. Still no luck, the hard drive was then extracted and stuck into an external case and then formatted via another computer.

The PROBLEM???

Upon sticking the hard drive back in I am now receiving a message that states NTLDR (NT loader is missing) press Ctrl+ALT+Delete to restart. This would seem normal because the hard drive is no longer there being that I formatted it from the external case. So I assumed two things, either it is still trying to boot off the hard drive or the CD-ROM is bad (however I donít believe itís a bad CD drive because if you recall I was able to boot from the start up menu at which point I was asked for a product key) So I am assuming the CD drive is good. Still to be safe I did take out and swap the CD drive (thinking it might be bad) but still same message as above. I replaced it back with the original CD drive because I am pretty sure it is not the drive. So now I am stuck. I canít get it to boot from the CD drive no matter what I do Any suggestions? Thank you kindly everyone for their help.

Default Re: NTLDR MISSING AND CAN'T BOOT FROM CD-ROM??

Welcome to PF1

Are you sure you saved when you changed the boot order?

Blam

Thank you for the welcome

Yes I did go back and check and the change was saved.

On a side note, this may sound like a dumb question but it is a thought, if I took the hard drive back out, stuck it back in the external enclosure and hooked it to my desktop is there a way Windows XP could be loaded from my desktop onto the hard drive via that method? I'm at a standstill right now and my brain has been going in circles all night trying to think of another method. Again thank you all for the help

Apple free and happy KarameaDave's Avatar

You could try to:
    Put the hard drive in the external case,
    Delete the partition(s) completely, not just format them.
    Put it back in the laptop and see if it boots from the CD then.

NO that won't work. Can you put the CD in a working computer and check it by right clicking it in my computer and explore, might be the CD is bad

Team ******

Just a quick thought - you haven't selected USB CDROM as the first boot device rather than CDROM have you? It sounds like the system is not attempting to boot from the CDROM and is going straight to the HDD.

As discussed one reason could be a faulty CD so if you can eliminate that in another machine that leaves the CDROM in your system now being faulty or the BIOS not set to boot from the CDROM drive first.

In the BIOS does the CDROM appear when you view the system devices? Just wondering if maybe a power ir connectort cable was knocked loose for it when the HDD has been taken out and put back in
    Last edited by southern_jas; 26-10-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Intel Core i5-2500k, Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3, 8 GB RAM, MSI GTX 550 Ti 1GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Thank you all for you help and opinions, they are MUCH appreciated. Here is what I have done today. I did get a generic windows XP CD (Tried it in my home desktop and it worked fine so the CD is good) I then purchased a brand new external CD ROM drive to COMPLETELY eliminate the possibility of a bad drive. Still no luck, this was even after having changed the boot up settings in the bios menu to boot from CD-ROM, or FDD (I tried both ways). Someone above left a message telling me to take out the drive stick in an external casing and format it via another computer but that was already done. That is actually how I got to this point here.

Another idea was brought to my attention that I wanted to run by everyone. A friend stated that “it is possible” to have more than bios screen?? (His theory is that while I am changing the settings in one bios section, the computer is still defaulting to start on the hard drive leading us to think that there might be a secondary bios screen. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, WHAT do I do from here because I am STUCK. I have been banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure this out.

No theres only one bios screen / and settings. Since the cd is external is there a USB option in the BIOS to boot from? (it wont be the cd option, it'll looking for the internal cd to boot from)

How do you delete the partition from external enclosure? You are correct that it was only formatted but how do I delete it?

Speedy,

I was thinking that same thing for the last hour or so, perhaps the computer is not recognizing the external drive either. Upon entering the bios system the options to choose from are HDD (Hard drive) LAN CD ROM and FDD. The two I have tried is FDD and CD ROM. Any suggestions or thoughts?