Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Suddenly No Sound heard from my speakers - Windows XP

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem. My speaker was working alright in my Windows XP Professional SP2. Suddenly, I did not hear any sounds. I tried all possible combination to fix the issue. The following covers almost all of them.
    Check the device manager for any driver missing issues / yellow exclammation marks, mute button enabled for volume controls and also checked the BIOS if the audio device is enabled.

Finally, checked the speakers in another machine and it worked. Since it was an on-board sound card (Mercury Board - KOBP4M266A), I thought the issue could be with the sound card itself and purchased a NEW 4 channel PCI sound card. Installing that (Windows installed its drivers automatically - It was a "Crystal Soundfusion Audio device" driver) did not resolve my problem.

Now, when I see under the device manger, both the devices (AC'97 audio device from VIA technologies, which came with my mother board) and this one (Crystal Sound fusion audio device from the PCI sound card) both are listed and status shows as "Working properly" and "No conflicts". I also checked my PCI sound card in another machine and sound was heard alright.

I don't know where could be the issue with sound in my system.

Can some one help me resolve this quickly, as I have been having this issue for over 2-3 weeks now and tried all forums in the net, but not found a solution that fits my case.

Thanks for your inputs in resolving this.

Cheers,
    RSM.

Default Re: Suddenly No Sound heard from my speakers - Windows XP

Disable the onboard sound, if you installed another soundcard. Under sounds make sure the default device for the sound is pointing to the right device / card (it probably will, once you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS).

Before you installed the other (crystal) soundcard, did you install something else that used sound?? Either PCI or USB? If you did, that would have made itself the default device for the sound (apart from the onboard soundcard)
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 23-10-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Disable the onboard sound, if you installed another soundcard. Under sounds make sure the default device for the sound is pointing to the right device / card (it probably will, once you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS).

Before you installed the other (crystal) soundcard, did you install something else that used sound?? Either PCI or USB? If you did, that would have made itself the default device for the sound (apart from the onboard soundcard)
    Hi Gonzales,

Thank you for your quick response.

Let me throw some more light on the issue I am having. When I try to delete
    (uninstall) the AC'97 sound device (the one that came with on-board), my Windows XP hangs and I could not start it normally after restart. I have to use the F8 - Safe Mode, then shut down to have the OS load normally. The same is the case when I disable OR make the new sound device (Crystal Sound fusion Audio device) I connected thru' the PCI slot. I guess, my system is not allowing me to disable / delete the default sound device in my system, which came with the mother board.

With regards to the BIOS setting, I do not find anything for disabling the
    ONBOARD SOUND. All I see under Advanced options / features is, "Audio Device - Enabled / Disabled". If it is enabled, I see all the sound devices listed under the Device manager and if I disable it in the BIOS, then all my sound devices / options are greyed out - leaving me no option to set my new sound device as the "Default". I found in some other forum that there may be a jumper setting for some on-board sound cards, which should be disabled if one is going to use another sound card - in my case, it is a PCI 4 channel sound card. Is it true? If Yes, how can I find where the jumpers are for the onboard sound card in my mother board?

To clarify your last question, in fact the Crystal Sound fusion audio device was the one that was newly detected by my system when I installed the NEW
    PCI 4 channel sound card and I did not use any USB sound cards.

Hope these additional details helps to narrow down where the issue may be.

Thanks once again for your quick response and I look forward to hear from you.

Cheers,
    RSM.

Quote Originally Posted by getsupport View Post
    Hi Gonzales,

Thank you for your quick response.

Let me throw some more light on the issue I am having.

When I try to delete (uninstall) the AC'97 sound device (the one that came with on-board), my Windows XP hangs and I could not start it normally after restart.
    You normally disable it (onboard) in the BIOS. Not delete or uninstall it device manager. If you're using another soundcard.

If it is enabled, I see all the sound devices listed under the Device manager and if I disable it in the BIOS, then all my sound devices / options are greyed out - leaving me no option to set my new sound device as the "Default".
    Thats whats meant to happen. The new card is meant to say its the default sound. And youre meant to set it to default device. To actually hear sound. Obviously, if the onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS, its not going to be the default soundcard. Anything you plug into it, you wont hear sound

I found in some other forum that there may be a jumper setting for some on-board sound cards, which should be disabled if one is going to use another sound card - in my case, it is a PCI 4 channel sound card. Is it true? If Yes, how can I find where the jumpers are for the onboard sound card in my mother board?
    Most modern motherboards dont have any jumpers. Everything is done thru the BIOS. Whats the brand / model of your motherboard / system?? If you've got the crystal soundcard drivers on a cd install them from the cd. Windows drivers dont always work
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 23-10-2009 at 06:56 AM.

What you also need to do is check it is actually a software problem and not a hardware on the Motherboard someplace, other wise you will be running around in circles going nowhere.

Get hold of a Live Linux CD, ( They are free -many of the Mags have them or download) any one will do,boot from that Live CD, this will load up ignoring all software on the Hard Drive - check the audio settings / sounds Via the live CD - if it works OK then it's more than likely software - if not there could be a problem on the motherboard some place (hardware).
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Try a System Restore first.

If that doesn't work, try using a Linux Live CD(Knoppix, Ubuntu, Puppy etc) and see if the sound works.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    You normally disable it (onboard) in the BIOS. Not delete or uninstall it device manager. If you're using another soundcard.

Thats whats meant to happen. The new card is meant to say its the default sound. And youre meant to set it to default device. To actually hear sound. Obviously, if the onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS, its not going to be the default soundcard. Anything you plug into it, you wont hear sound.

Most modern motherboards dont have any jumpers. Everything is done thru the BIOS. Whats the brand / model of your motherboard / system?? If you've got the crystal soundcard drivers on a cd install them from the cd. Windows drivers dont always work
    I have disabled the "Audio Device" in the BIOS and then under device manager, only my new sound card is listed "Crystal fusion Audio device" and the status also says it is working properly. But I am not hearing any sound.

I disabled the audio device in the BIOS, then restarted the computer. Found no audio device listed under device manager. Then, I plugged in the PCI sound card. Only to find the system hanging during reboot. However, when I get into the SAFE mode, I can see the "Crystal Fusion Audio device" listed under device manager and also see all the options under "Sound/Audio" greyed out. What should I do now? As my speakers worked elsewhere and also my new PCI sound card worked at my friend's office, I am sure there is an issue with my on-board sound card. But I am not able to figure it out where the issue may be? I have already backed up all my files in my C drive
    and I am currently thinking of formatting the drive and reinstalling a FRESH copy of Windows XP Professional with SP2. Will that resolve the issue?
    Also, during that reinstall, can I leave the BIOS setting for Audio Devices 'disabled' OR I should set it back to "enabled" and proceed?

As I have mentioned in my first post, the following is the details of my motherboard. Mercury Mother Board. Model - KOBP4M266A

With regards to installing drivers from the CD that came with the PCI sound card, as Windows automatically installed the required drivers, it did not throw
    any message OR ask me to use the manufacturer's CD to install the drivers?
    Should I still be using the CD install the drivers when Windows does not show any Yello exclammation against that device?

Thanks for your inputs.

RSM.
    Last edited by getsupport; 24-10-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    What you also need to do is check it is actually a software problem and not a hardware on the Motherboard someplace, other wise you will be running around in circles going nowhere.

Get hold of a Live Linux CD, ( They are free -many of the Mags have them or download) any one will do,boot from that Live CD, this will load up ignoring all software on the Hard Drive - check the audio settings / sounds Via the live CD - if it works OK then it's more than likely software - if not there could be a problem on the motherboard some place (hardware).
    Thank you Wainuitech for your suggestion. I have heard about Linux, but never used one in my computer. If I use that LIVE LINUX CD to BOOT, then will it automatically boot the LInux OS from the CD ignoring the Windows in my C Drive? Also, if it loads up Linux, will I be able to play sound in my system using its audio settings? Please clarify before I proceed.

Thanks,
    RSM.

Quote Originally Posted by blam6 View Post
    Try a System Restore first.

If that doesn't work, try using a Linux Live CD(Knoppix, Ubuntu, Puppy etc) and see if the sound works.
    Thank you Blam6 for your advice.
    As I asked in my other post, Can I use that Linux Live CD to boot eventhough I do not have Linux installed in my system and will I able to test my speakers using Linux and play audio files from my other drives - like D / E and F?

Thanks,
    RSM.

Most linux Installs have some inbuilt audio, you need to get into the settings and play something - any sound will do its only to test if the audio works.

You can try your existing music, but Linux may ask for a plug in, depending on what player you use and what the format the music is in.

By booting from a Linux CD, as mentioned earlier, it bypasses the windows OS, Just make sure you select boot from CD ( or words to that effect) you DONT want to install it.
    Look when its loading the drivers from the CD, it should pick up the onboard audio - if it errors when loading its drivers, there "may" be a Motherboard problem.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum