Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peripatetic member

Default Where do Deleted emails go?

I emptied my Recycle Bin (XP Home) & then emptied the Deleted Items folder in Outlook Express.

My Recycle Bin still shows empty. So where did the deleted emails go?

I don't want to restore them - just curious about where in limbo they are, and when they will be completely removed?

Default Re: Where do Deleted emails go?

Basic technical explanation - When you delete something its Not really gone - windows just cant see it.

EVERY item in your Computer, be it a email, picture , music, what ever has whats called a start bit and a stop bit.

When you delete something, all it does is take off the start bit, so windows now cant see it - and thinks the space it once took is now free space and data can be written to this space.

Thats why simply deleting something doesn't actually get rid of it - with data recovery programs these items can be recovered by finding the rest of the file and putting back the start bit. So thats why when someone deletes "items" the Police come looking for - they are in the DOdo's - its still there.

Thats why if anything is deleted by mistake you turn off the PC right away and then atatch the drive to another PC and run a data recovery program through it. NEVER install a recovery program on the PC you are trying to recover from - as you may be over writing the very data you are trying to get back.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Old guy

They are actually still on your HD. The indexing has been removed and that portion of the disk can now be written to. As time goes by the deleted stuff gets written over and it is then effectively destroyed. If I have that wrong I am sure to be told in the very near future.

Wainuitec just explained it far better than I

Peripatetic member

Thanks for that, wainui & Clive.

So that means the reason for having both Deleted Items & Recycle Bin is simply to keep the decks clean & easily see what we've got to work with?

Your email application is separate to your operating system. The recycle bin is used for files you delete, for example when browsing with Windows explorer. The deleted items in Outlook is used to store deleted emails, which I guess you could think of as a recycle bin for your emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post

So that means the reason for having both Deleted Items & Recycle Bin is simply to keep the decks clean & easily see what we've got to work with?
    No not really - its almost like a "second chance" -- How many times have we all gone -- OPPS shouldn't have deleted that -- Its in the bin and can be restored.

You can set windows and email to auto empty the Deleted items and recycle bin on closing if you want.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post

People have a recycle bin so that they may be able to recover the file(s) moments after they have been moved there.

Email clients have a deleted items folder for similar reasons. The two are separate in any event.

They are separate because emails aren't usually files in the usual sense (and therefore can't be deleted in the same way as a file), they are generally entries in your mail client's database.

As such, they are marked as deleted in a different way to a file, and therefore require their own 'recycle bin' feature.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Peripatetic member

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    No not really - its almost like a "second chance" -- How many times have we all gone -- OPPS shouldn't have deleted that -- Its in the bin and can be restored.

You can set windows and email to auto empty the Deleted items and recycle bin on closing if you want.
    Yes, I do know about the auto function.
    And I have done the Ooops at times.
    My foolishness doesn't extend far enough to take that risk...

Just a thought here - mark the difference between deleting a file from you hard drive and deleting a similar file from a USB drive.