Default Monitor goes to Sleep imidiately after boot

Hello, i'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 with a NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX video card and i've got the latest drivers installed. Ok here's the problem:

Yesterday night, when i turned off my computer, i had also unhooked the VGA cord from my monitor for various reasons. Then, this morning, i went to plug it in and boot up my machine and here's what happens. I boot up my machine, it gets by the POST fine and then i see the loading Windows XP screen. However whenever the graphic GUI starts loading, my monitor goes to sleep. I tried booting in VGA mode but the thing i found odd was that my NVIDIA Control Panel was gone and i was automatically set to the lowest resolution so i tried a higher resolution and my monitor went to sleep again. I figure really the reason that my monitor goes to sleep after the Windows XP loading screen is because it's getting set to a high resolution and for some reason goes to sleep. If anyone knows what's up please let me know.

Thanks ,Lars.

Default Re: Monitor goes to Sleep imidiately after boot

So what resolution did you have it on?? And whats the monitor's brand and model? Will it boot into safe mode?? Try selecting last known good config. See if it gets into windows. If it does change the resolution (if its too high)

I had it on 1280720. It worked fine forever. My monitor is a HP1740. I tried last known good config and i still got the same problem. However, i did manage to boot into Windows using Enable VGA. But if i switch my resolution to 1024x768, my monitor goes to sleep. Quite frustrating. I'll try and leave my resolution at 800x600 and boot normally.

Ok, well if i put the resolution at 800x600 it goes to sleep aswell. So i'm pretty stuck here.

Default Re: Monitor goes to Sleep immediately after boot

Sounds like the video card and/or video driver may be the problem, try the monitor on another computer to eliminate that, next try updating the driver.
    Maybe this'll help (page 154 onwards)
    http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=N...lities&f=false
    Last edited by feersumendjinn; 02-08-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------

Heck is a place for people who don't believe in gosh.

I don't think its going to sleep. Whats happening is you're going to a resolution the drivers or the monitor does not support, and therefore you get a blank screen.

Remove the old drivers with Driver Sweeper:
    http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Then download the latest version and install.

Blam

VoidMaster

You bent a pin or two when you plugged the vga cord back in, have a look down the end of the plug after you remove it from the computer vga output, use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to CAREFULLY straighten them again.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche