Default Nightstore heaters (night power rate)

Just wondering if any of you have used nightstore heaters which have bricks inside them and are wired up to use the cheaper electricity rates overnight, and then release the heat during the day?

I'm looking at a few second hand ones on trademe. Are they more economical than a heat pump? A heat pump seems to have a pretty high uo front cost and I'm not particularly keen to part with my money

Cheers

mikebartnz

Default Re: Nightstore heaters (night power rate)

In my view nightstore heaters are a pain in the rear. Unless you watch the forecast and adjust to suit, you end up with heat often when you don't need it and not enough when you do.
    Modern heat pumps will give more energy than goes in and you only get the heat you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    In my view nightstore heaters are a pain in the rear. Unless you watch the forecast and adjust to suit, you end up with heat often when you don't need it and not enough when you do.
    Modern heat pumps will give more energy than goes in and you only get the heat you want.
    Right on mikebartnz, ours has been off for the past 4 years, it's just as you say, it's power wasted if the weather turns out to be fine and warm.

Our heat pump been in for 3.5 years and the savings are about $10.00pm.

Lurking.

Mixed Member

Nightstores work...sorta. The best you can hope for is the background heat they provide. Furthermore a nightstore has to be correctly wired in and that costs. A heatpump is a whole leap beyond.

Neighbour has one.
    The rooms end up above cold but I wouldn't call it warm and her power is enormous. The other neighbour tried one and the power bill went up so much she ditched it.

And yes, thats on the special low rate they get connected to down here.

Get a heat pump.
    You know there is a list on the net of which appliances have which running costs, forget where I found it now, but it had nightstores, heat pumps, regular heaters, gas, pellet fires, and woodburners all on it.

In order of cheapness it went:
    Woodburners (although probably not in AUckland!)
    Heat Pumps
    wipe your paws.

The house we bought 10 years ago already had two installed (running on the cheap night rate.)
    They are very effective in cold weather but are better if you also use small fan heaters for the cold spots etc. It's background heating where they are best. We are considering replacing one with a heat pump but I must admit as the storage heaters use very cheap electricity, only available during the night, the economics especially initial cost etc, do not really support changing - but we will although I will get irritated by the noise from the heat pumps. And probably also find the draft a bit annoying where I prefer to sit just now.
    Storage heaters still sell but I do not see us being able to get any money for our replaced heater. The one in the hallway we will keep as in that situation it is better than a heat pump.
    One thing to remember is that there is no need to have it running all night. Nobody needs the heat then and they can warm up and store all the heat needed in just a few hours. For our hallway that makes them just about the cheapest and best heating system.

Been into a few people houses that have These wall panels -- they swear by them, and I must admit, while not totally replacing the conventional heater, wood burner etc, they did a great job in the areas they were in.

When asked about the cost to run - every one I have spoken to has said hardly noticed the price increase.

Actually going to get some for our place, got several rooms that need to be heated that the wood burner doesn't quite do the job.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Mixed Member

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Been into a few people houses that have These wall panels -- they swear by them, and I must admit, while not totally replacing the conventional heater, wood burner etc, they did a great job in the areas they were in.

When asked about the cost to run - every one I have spoken to has said hardly noticed the price increase.

Actually going to get some for our place, got several rooms that need to be heated that the wood burner doesn't quite do the job.
    Those look like a good idea. Sort of a cross between the normal electric panel heater (which has gone out of fashion) and a thin nightstore. They are made out of fibrous cement thus having mass to store a little heat.

Not so junior

Hi forrest44, where are you located? if in the deep south (Invercargill) or thereabouts, we have a Unidare nightstore that we no longer use and will give away to a good home if you are prepared to dismantle and remove yourself. Anyone interested PM me for further details.