PDA

View Full Version : Please insert writable disc into drive D

Siobhan
09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
No matter what kind of disc I put in drive DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD -R, CD-RW - I get the same answer "there is no disc in the drive"

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
And whats telling you this? Windows itself or a program?

pctek
09-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Drive is stuffed.

Driftwood
09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Are we talking laptop or desktop?

Siobhan
09-06-2008, 05:40 PM
CD Writing Wizard when I click 'write these files to CD'

On both my computer and my laptop

Driftwood
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
What about if you access it through "my computer"

Driftwood
09-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Right click on the optical drive icon & check properties

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Well unless youve installed the update (if you have XP), XP doesnt support burning to DVD or any kind of DVD by default

Thats why burning to DVD doesnt work

Siobhan
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Well unless youve installed the update (if you have XP), XP doesnt support burning to DVD or any kind of DVD by default

Thats why burning to DVD doesnt work

Did that, but no further on. Could it be anything to do with having Any DVD installed?

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
06-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I've got Vista, so what does that mean for me?? I've got the exact same problem.
I bought a 15 pack of DVD-RW discs and my drive's name (original, unchanged by me) is DVD/CD-RW Drive (F:)
Please help me out guys...

Hp Told me to get Nero, i downloaded a different dvd burner software and it gives the same message...

Is Vista under the same thing as XP? And how do you fix that??

Appreciate it guys...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
06-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Can my gf format them on her mac and then i can use the discs? I'm at a University, all my friends with lappies would either have macs or XP, so, i dunno what to do with the dics if they won't work...

gary67
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
It is probably the discs themselves were they cheap ? It would be better not to get RW ones as they are lower quality anyway and formatting them on a Mac would make do difference, is your machine a Laptop? can you get someone else to try burning onto one for you even under XP would do to see if it is a bad bath of disc as it does happen

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 05:33 PM
It may be a bad batch, but i bought them at Meijer for $10-20, been over a year that i've had this problem lol, and i got a pack of 10, 4.7 GB discs...

Is there any way to confirm if it's just a bad batch? I don't want to buy some more and they don't work too. It's been too long, i don't have the receipt or anything to return them...
The brand is Memorex...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, i feel like a noob, I try to format the disc and is says "the disk is write protected"...

So, how do i fix that...

jwil1
07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Sorry, i feel like a noob, I try to format the disc and is says "the disk is write protected"...

So, how do i fix that...

Windows cannot burn DVDs by itself. You need to use a DVD burning program like Nero.

gary67
07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Optical discs should not need formatting either. XP can burn DVD's with the MS patch for it and Vista can do it natively no need for expensive software like Nero there are great free alternatives such as Burnaware free which will even do Bluray if you have a drive that burns it

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I take it, you're talking about this ? (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932716)

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Speedy i tried that link and downloaded the file, after i clicked run and it seemed to be working it said "Not enough storage to process this command" and "installation did not complete".

I found a Free burner like Nero called CDBurnerXP, it told me that i had an unwriteable disk/no disk in the drive once i tried to burn something to it...
It said to insert a writeable disk...

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Its because youre not meant to format the cd or dvd

You'll have to use a DVDR - or +

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I just checked the device information under the recorder tab, and it said it doesn't support reading or writing DVD-RW.

I'm in the middle of downloading Sp1, don't think i had gotten that. If that was the problem then my own Cpu should be able to write to the disc fine?
Or do i need a different burn software that does support dvd-rw?

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
In my computer, the drive is called DVD/CD-RW, and i have DVD-RW discs, is that my problem? And SP1 can fix that?
Sorry, i just realized that was the name of my drive, probably relevant...

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 07:40 PM
I wouldnt bother with RW blanks. Use + or - DVDR's

Since depending on what youre going to put it in, it probably wont play or read it

If CD drive appears in computer, or whatever its called thats normal

Once you put a blank cd / dvd in

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I already had Sp1...lol

So my discs are useless?? If there's a way to use them i'd like to know, College kid and all strapped for cash, and i've got 10 of 'em with 4.7 GB on each, it's a lot of storage space to throw away...

I really appreciate any help.

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Well no theyre not useless, but if theyre RW, you may have to reformat them

WHAT exactly are you going to use RW's for?

And WHAT exactly are you trying to copy / burn to the RW/s?

The only thing RW, will be useful for is data / exe files you want to keep maybe

Thats about it

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Anything, pictures, programs. I've only got an 80GB hard-Drive, was going to move some stuff onto discs so i wouldn't have them clogging up space on my cpu...

I can't even begin to use them because my cpu doesn't think they're even there...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
How can i reformat them? When my drive doesn't think they're there...
There's cpu labs on campus i could try to use...

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Umm, youre not trying to copy programs that have been installed already are you?

Because, it wont work later (unless you burn the install file/s to cd / dvd)

If Nero and CDburnerXP say the RW's arent writable, you'll have to format it / them

From within one of them. Then use one of the options in one of them

I would still use dvdr's or cdr's.

And dont FORMAT either if youre planing on using Nero or whatever. The program will do it for you. If you use the right option in it

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Every option there was, to erase, format, everything it still said there was no disc in the drive...

Speedy Gonzales
07-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Well the burner must be stuffed or something

Try another dvd just dont format it

And if that doesnt work get DVDR's instead

Blam
07-12-2008, 08:58 PM
RW blanks are sooo unreliable.....just go with a DVD+R or DVD-R

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
08-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks guys, so i can give the RW's to somebody? I've got an Uncle that builds his own Cpu's and stuff, he hacked his own XBOX...He should know what he's getting himself into if he uses them...
Maybe he'd think they're a crappy gift, huh? lol...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
I got on another CPU at the Library, i formatted the disk on that CPU...I thought it formatted to be DVDR...
Put it on my laptop and no difference...
Is my drive not compatible with DVD-RW, my drive is named DVD/CD-RW, so does that mean it only reads DVD, CD-RW, and NOT DVD-RW or DVDR?
The drive plays movies, which would be DVD, so i should only buy CD's then to store files...

I think my cpu will never be able to read these silly discs i have...

Thanks so much guys, i don't think any amount of formatting/downloading can be done to fix this, i just don't have the correct kind of drive.

Sorry for any frustration caused...

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Look in the BIOS or device manager. Whats it say under DVD / cd rom drives??

Tell us the name that appears here

FoxyMX
08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
In my computer, the drive is called DVD/CD-RW, and i have DVD-RW discs, is that my problem? And SP1 can fix that?
Sorry, i just realized that was the name of my drive, probably relevant...

It sounds to me like your DVD drive is a DVD read-only drive, not a DVD writer which would explain why you can't see the writeable discs when in the drive.

Go into Device Manager and under DVD/CD-ROM drives have a look and see if it lists the brand name of the drive. Or run a program such as SIW (System Info) to tell you what it is.

Incidentally, a CPU is a Central Processing Unit - the brain of the computer that processes instructions and manages the flow of information through a computer system.

When you refer to "CPU" you are meaning the computer or computer system, not the CPU.

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
08-12-2008, 09:37 AM
It's a "TSST corp CDW/DVD TS-L462D ATA Device"

So it only Writes to CD's and reads DVD's?? I have a program called Matlab that's just over 3 GB that i was hoping to put on a disc...
I may just have to delete it, i got it for a class but won't need it ever again or for atleast a long time. My laptop is only an 80GB HD, so i'm trying to free up some space, i only have 10GB available on it...

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Yup, by the looks of it, it only reads DVD, it doesnt write to them

If you want to burn to DVD, you'll have to buy a DVD burner

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Speedy, can i download a DVD burner or is that like an external drive i'd have to get?

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Umm no a DVD burner is hardware not software, you cant download it

If its a desktop, you can buy an internal DVD burner. Theyre cheap. Just remove that burner, and install the DVD burner. Just make sure you jumper it properly

If its a laptop, you may have to buy an external DVD burner

Blam
08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I recommend asus and pioneer for internal DVD multi drive brands
Liteons pretty good too.
Don't bother with lightscribe unless you need to print on DVDs often