PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE - New Westpac scam email

wratterus
28-05-2008, 11:52 AM
I have never had nothing to do with Westpac....but I just received this email.

Looks very authentic.

Westpac Enhanced Online Security For 2008

Banking with Westpac Online is about to become even more secure!
As a valued Westpac online customer, the security of your identity and personal account information is extremely important. We are installing Enhanced Online Security protocols as an additional way of protecting your Westpac online access.

Enhancing Online Security will allow Westpac online banking to verify your identity from your computer - at home, at work or anywhere you bank online. When you access your account information, we will know it is you. And you will know that you are safe and secure with Westpac online banking. This two-way process ensures that both parties are confident of each other's identity.
Every customer that uses Westpac online Account for online banking will be required to activate our new Enhanced Online Security.

Click on Log in for quick and easy process

Then a [www.westpac.co.nz=secureLog in] that looks genuine, linking to another page, which I probably shouldn't put up more than necessary.

Part of it is http://www.kicksdiscount.com/images

then /ozz.jpg/secure.htm

Thanks for taking the time to learn about our upcoming plan for Enhance Online Security - it's one more way that Westpac online banking can make your online banking experience better..

ubergeek85
28-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Fake details sent.

wratterus
28-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I had a bit of fun with that too.

The datails ****you for the username and dickheads for the password seems to work lol. :banana

johcar
28-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Sneaky - although the URL that displays in the address bar should be enough to ring warning bells!

But they actually link to the (some of the) logo images and navigation section from the real site.

wratterus
28-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Yep - it seems to get some people though. :(

ubergeek85
28-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Heh, I used the same UN as wratt, but same PW...

But yeah, the cross-linking is worrying...

wratterus
28-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Heh, I used the same UN as wratt, but same PW...

But yeah, the cross-linking is worrying...

:lol:

Great minds think alike.... :p

Yes, worrying is the word...

Agent_24
28-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Someone should constuct an elaborate plan to DDoS them with fake details :lol:

vitalstatistix
28-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Have you told Westpac about it?

pcuser42
29-05-2008, 08:25 AM
About time there was a Westpac scam. :p We've had scams from every bank but Westpac, who the business is with. :lol:

autechre
29-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Site is down anyhow.. I wanted to play :)

pctek
29-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I have never had nothing to do with Westpac....but I just received this email.

Well so what. Its nothing new, why report every scammers trick that comes out, I get masses of them, don't feel the need to start a thread unless theres something especially interesting about it.

And there never is..........

wratterus
29-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Nope, I don't normally either - this email just looked a lot more professional than most.

If it's stopped one person from giving away their login details, it was worth it.

And besides, it was fun giving them bull**** login details!! :p

Agent_24
29-05-2008, 10:33 AM
When I went to the site IE7 had already had it blacklisted as a phishing scam

ubergeek85
29-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Wow, IE actually did something good!