PDA

View Full Version : Recording TV on Demand?

Mercury
22-04-2008, 09:38 AM
There was a program on last weekend that I heard about yesterday so I found it on TV On Demand. It would be really good if I could save it to show to some overseas people who are unable to view it on-line.

Does anyone know how to save it?

The Internet temp file seems to have stored it as a .tmp file and doesn't know what to do with it.

somebody
22-04-2008, 09:48 AM
There was a program on last weekend that I heard about yesterday so I found it on TV On Demand. It would be really good if I could save it to show to some overseas people who are unable to view it on-line.

Does anyone know how to save it?

The Internet temp file seems to have stored it as a .tmp file and doesn't know what to do with it.

TVNZOnDemand? You can save it using the various flash video download tools. My favourite is Orbit Downloader - you use its "Grab++" tool to capture the video stream, and then save it.

Mercury
22-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Excellent! Thank you.

Once the file downloaded I then found a Flash Player, installed it and it all works brilliantly.

I've also found a trial version of a video conversion program so the next step will be to see how I get on converting it so I can play it on another machine.

somebody
22-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Excellent! Thank you.

Once the file downloaded I then found a Flash Player, installed it and it all works brilliantly.

I've also found a trial version of a video conversion program so the next step will be to see how I get on converting it so I can play it on another machine.

Try Movica - it's free, and works brilliantly.

Mercury
22-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I've downloaded Movica but it doesn't recognise flash files. Will have a play later today - I really should go and attack the rest of the list. Too many things to do, so little time...

If all else fails there's always the alternative - cart the laptop 4km up a mountain.

FoxyMX
22-04-2008, 11:52 AM
TVNZOnDemand? You can save it using the various flash video download tools. My favourite is Orbit Downloader - you use its "Grab++" tool to capture the video stream, and then save it.

That works for TVNZ's Video on Demand but not with TV3's Video on Demand, unfortunately.

Does anyone know how to save their videos? Example here (http://www.tv3.co.nz/Video/DerekLovelloneoffourfirefighterskilledinactionduri nglast60years/tabid/309/articleID/52264/cat/100/Default.aspx#video).

Mercury
22-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I think it does work for TV3. Out of curiosity I right clicked the page to go View Source and saw that the menu has been expanded by Orbit. Clicking on Grab It showed it there.

Will leave you to play further.

FoxyMX
22-04-2008, 01:35 PM
It shows a lot of files to download but they all hang, ending up as errors and will not actually download. The files' format must be different to TVNZ's.

somebody
22-04-2008, 03:24 PM
It shows a lot of files to download but they all hang, ending up as errors and will not actually download. The files' format must be different to TVNZ's.

Mercury: I converted a couple of flash videos from Youtube using Movica yesterday, so I'm not too sure why you're having issues. Make sure you have all the necessary codecs installed - grab the K-Lite Codec Pack and it should do the trick.

FoxyMX: I've tried a couple of techniques and tools, and they all fail. I think TV3 is doing some smart blocking to stop people grabbing their video - it isn't a file format issue. I'll keep tinkering and will tell you if I come up with a solution.

Mercury
23-04-2008, 09:55 AM
In between a few other things yesterday I downloaded the codecs and got it working so now have the 3 segements of the show combined as a Flash movie.

The next step is to attempt to convert the Flash movie into another format - like .mpg. Is this possible?

Reason being I didn't have a flash player installed on my computer. We are heading overseas for a week and it would be more convenient if I could leave the laptop behind, take some disks and rely on one over there. If I didn't have a player installed then it is equally likely that the one over there doesn't either.

Any ideas?

somebody
23-04-2008, 10:13 AM
In between a few other things yesterday I downloaded the codecs and got it working so now have the 3 segements of the show combined as a Flash movie.

The next step is to attempt to convert the Flash movie into another format - like .mpg. Is this possible?

Reason being I didn't have a flash player installed on my computer. We are heading overseas for a week and it would be more convenient if I could leave the laptop behind, take some disks and rely on one over there. If I didn't have a player installed then it is equally likely that the one over there doesn't either.

Any ideas?

I just realised I misled you about Movica - I was actually using a program called "Pazera Free FLV to AVI Converter" to do the conversion.

Mercury
23-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Ah, that explains why I was scratching my head thinking I was missing something and trying to work out how.

Will have a go at that. Thanks.

Mercury
23-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Yup, that did it. Picture not as clear as the original Flash (Compressed file recompressed?) but will work well for the current purpose.

Will have to have a good play with in a few weeks when life calms down a bit.

Thanks for the help. :thanks