PDA

View Full Version : DirectShow access problem

bellbird
10-10-2007, 02:07 PM
My Computer: WindowsXP sp2, Intel P 3.06GHZ. DirectX 9.0c, NVidia GEForce6200 Forcewear 163.17 (updated last week), Mem 256MB.
"When I run DxDiag I get the following: DxDiag has detected there may be a problem accessing DirectShow last time prog was used. Would you like to bypass Direct Show this time". I selected yes. Have checked all the tabs in DxDiag and everything seems to check out Ok. (I have only minimally knowledge of what I am doing and I don't know what Direct Show is)
What to I need to do about the DirectShow message and could this be the reason that I have been losing all the Desktop icons, start menu, task bar etc after coming back from standby and have to turn off the computer and restart. Also my mouse arrow has started going walkabout. Thanks for any help

bellbird
15-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Somehow my problem of blank desktop has been resolved but I would still like some help please regarding the "problem accessing direct show" message I receive when running dxdiag. I've search the forum and can't find anything.

autechre
16-10-2007, 08:51 AM
From the quick search I did on Google, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this. Did it start happening after you updated your video drivers (Forceware)? If so, you may need to go back to the old ones.

Some suggestions have been:
- reinstall DirectX
- uninstall & reinstall Windows Media Player
- update/reinstall video card drivers
- update/reinstall motherboard drivers (especially if using Via chipset)

The last one I wouldn't really recommend unless you know what you're doing.

bellbird
17-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I think the reason I ran dxdiag for the first time recently was after buying a game on-line and after it installed and I tried to play it I got a blank screen and message "Out of Range" and perhaps I was trying out some suggestions from forums, which included updating NVidia driver and running dxdiag. I guess I have to find out somehow what Direct Show does to know what to do about the message. I might try some of your suggestions anyway. Thanks

Cho
17-10-2007, 11:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow - on what directshow is and does.

"out of range" i have only encountered once. i upgraded my uncles graphics from onboard to a R9550 and it would show that on the screen. not sure why. really old screen though.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2007, 11:19 AM
I think Out of range, means the monitor's resolution / or the frequency for the card is too high. try lowering it

Cho
17-10-2007, 11:22 AM
im thinking both for the out of range thing, as only time i got the r9950 and monitor to work was on 640x480 16bit at 60hz. so changing the games graphics settings to the lowest, if possible outside the game. ini files possibly. may be a small work around. although make it look like crap. also be able to see what the default res is for the game, and frequency.

bellbird
17-10-2007, 02:45 PM
yes the "out of range" seemed to sort itself out when I updated Nvidia driver or maybe I just stumbled around in my usual way and it got sorted. My query now is the message that pops up when I run dxdiag as I don't know if it is important or not. "dxdiag has detected that there may have been a problem accessing Direct Show last time the programme was accessed. Would you like to bypass Direct Show this time". I have only selected yes so far and have gone on to check the Music, Sound, Display and Input and those all check out ok. I've Googled it and chked Microsoft and all I can see it that Direct Show is a multi media file reader (or not, if I've misunderstood!) Maybe I should select No and see what comes up.

SolMiester
17-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Bellbird...just a quick heads up, your PC will run twice as fast if you upgraded your RAM to 512 or better yet 1024MB, it must really be struggling with 256mb especially with games

bellbird
17-10-2007, 03:17 PM
thanks, will definitely look into an upgrade