PDA

View Full Version : In car gps - for NZ

--Wolf--
26-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Have just imported a Toyota Hiace Super Custom van from Japan and it has the original in car gps screen in it, but is there any software I can get for it to work here in NZ?

Also, it had a option for tv, is there anyway to get the tv working with NZ channels?

It simply says "original Toyota car audio" on the screen, and the manual for it is in Jap. Any ideas?

winmacguy
26-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Have you tried Navman?

--Wolf--
26-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Nav-what? Is it software/cd or a whole unit? Remember I only want the mapping for NZ (hopefully with voice and/or directional)

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2007, 08:38 PM
It'll be better if you asked some Toyota dealer.

qazwsxokmijn
26-08-2007, 10:25 PM
A TV in the car is recipe for roadkill. Be careful.

This made me remember an episode of The Simpsons where Homer pimped his car with a TV, a stove and other things. He drove himself into the sea as he watched TV and cooked food. :p

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 04:07 AM
They let youse guys watch tv whilst driving?

Somehow this smells like a way to remove drivers from the gene pool over there.

Let me think..GPS in NZ? Why? The place is so small that even if you got lost you could drive in a circle for 15 minutes and prolly pass your residence twice.

Actually..I have NO idea how big your island paradise is....I think I'll Google it and find out.

Oooh! Ohhh! I just noticed that youse guys have two islands!

OK..change my suggestion to all the Northern-Islanders drive in clockwise directions to find out where they are, and the Southern Islanders drive counter-clockwise..this will allow youse to at least see another living human being as you pass each other near the little stream that separates you from each other.

Hmmm...that MIGHT not be a stream or a river..I just turned up the resolution a little and it looks like the water boundary between youse is more like mile/1.21 km wide or so....you may not be able to actually see the other person if you are that far apart.

Boy..Google Earth is kewl..I know so much more about NZ now!

The_End_Of_Reality
27-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Oooh! Ohhh! I just noticed that youse guys have two islands! :groan: Actually we have more... just the north and south are the largest... What about Stuart Island down there? *points south*

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Too cold to count I think..and a GPS would freeze there anyway...not to mention that the car would never start without a small fire under the oilpan to soften it up a little first.

<BRB>

Hey! <returning from Googling> I just Google-Earthed Stuart Island and it's in Canada...are you pulling my leg?

paulw
27-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Forget the TV it will be NTSC and won't work here and most likely have a Japanese menu system as well..

The_End_Of_Reality
27-08-2007, 07:54 AM
It is not cold here... it is warm enough to be walking around Wellington with a shirt...

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 08:04 AM
It is not cold here... it is warm enough to be walking around Wellington with a shirt...

It's 41F / 5C and just a click over freezing (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=temperature+in+wellington%2C+new+zealand&btnG=Google+Search)..that's cold to me; where I am at 104F / 40C with 3% humidity here.

dvm
27-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Too cold to count I think..and a GPS would freeze there anyway...not to mention that the car would never start without a small fire under the oilpan to soften it up a little first.

<BRB>

Hey! <returning from Googling> I just Google-Earthed Stuart Island and it's in Canada...are you pulling my leg?

Probably because its actually Stewart Island

The_End_Of_Reality
27-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Rubbish... it feels a lot warmer than that... :illogical

Heh, my bad speeling... :p Stewart Island is the correct speeling :o

godfather
27-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Have just imported a Toyota Hiace Super Custom van from Japan and it has the original in car gps screen in it, but is there any software I can get for it to work here in NZ?

Also, it had a option for tv, is there anyway to get the tv working with NZ channels?

It simply says "original Toyota car audio" on the screen, and the manual for it is in Jap. Any ideas?

Unless the unit is also sold here new (in which case NZ mapping will be available), then you are probably out of luck. There is no "universal format" for such files, they are device specific. If it was a Japan domestic model, they may not even have any other mapping available.

For locally available maps (assuming they are obtainable in that format) expect to pay $500 or more, based on the typical cost of loading Australian maps in a NZ GPS.

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 12:28 PM

...and besides, you can always get a job as a taxi driver in the Ginza.....

Jonski
27-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Let me think..GPS in NZ? Why? The place is so small that even if you got lost you could drive in a circle for 15 minutes and prolly pass your residence twice.

Actually..I have NO idea how big your island paradise is....I think I'll Google it and find out.

Oooh! Ohhh! I just noticed that youse guys have two islands!

OK, I'll bite... Good ol NZ has more coastline than the contiguous continental US of A. :p

And you guys only have about one main island as well- Hawaii.

Cheers
Jon

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 03:22 PM
OK, I'll bite... Good ol NZ has more coastline than the contiguous continental US of A. :p

And you guys only have about one main island as well- Hawaii.

Cheers
Jon

I guess you can call it coastline if you are a human fly..otherwise it's nearly vertical every place but a few....or so I hear....:p

And we consider Alaska as our biggest island....I think it may even have more "coastline" than NZ all by itself.

Hey..I just heard that youse guys have a lake shore that is recycled glass...kewl! Something about "Glass Beach".

The glass-sand idea grew from the unintentional consequences of an ocean dump site off Northern California near Fort Bragg. Beginning in 1949, garbage including lots of glass was dumped over a cliff into the ocean, said Charles Finkl, a marine geologist with Boca Raton-based Coastal Planning and Engineering.

Finkl said that while organic material degraded over the years, the glass broke up and became smooth as it tumbled in the surf. The area is now known locally as Glass Beach. Another dump site in Hawaii produced similar results, Finkl said.

"You talk about glass beach and people have images of sharp glass shards but it's not that way at all," he said.

Recycled glass also has been used for beaches along Lake Hood in New Zealand and on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curacao.

It's unclear how much the project would cost Broward County, or if the project is even feasible. The state and county have so far spent about $600,000 just on tests and engineering.

The county tested a small patch of glass sand on a dry patch of beach last year, using sensors to measure effects of heat and moisture. Scientists have also conducted laboratory tests that show organisms and wildlife can thrive in the material just like natural sand, they said. The county is awaiting a permit to test glass sand in the surf zone

--Wolf--
27-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Aside from the 3/4 of this topic going off-topic, maybe I can still get an answer.

A friend of mine works at a car rental company (in NZ) and says they have discs with the NZ map on them to put in the cars GPS. The gps is the original toyota gps, so it shouldn't be a problem of where it was sold.

I was expecting (without the yanks) a site that sells cds that you put into the gps somewhere with NZ on it, just as if you were buying a GPS device from a shop here. Guess not.

SurferJoe46
27-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Aside from the 3/4 of this topic going off-topic, maybe I can still get an answer.

A friend of mine works at a car rental company (in NZ) and says they have discs with the NZ map on them to put in the cars GPS. The gps is the original toyota gps, so it shouldn't be a problem of where it was sold.

I was expecting (without the yanks) a site that sells cds that you put into the gps somewhere with NZ on it, just as if you were buying a GPS device from a shop here. Guess not.

Are you using "yanks" as a verb or a noun..and I did the deed of hijacking your thread...sorry...

But..if it's fair..this should have been in the tech side of the site..it's about things electronic and computer programs (the gps part anyway). I get all chatty and silly when I get a good straight line like you set up for me. :D

godfather
27-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Have you actually considered calling Toyota, since you believe it to be a Toyota model the same as sold here? That should be the first thing you would want to do.
Just read my response above as to possible map costs.