PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Tecra M5 Sound Card

Term_X
19-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a Toshiba Tecra M5. The exact model is a PTM51A - 016007. It was wiped and i installed XP Pro sp 2. Installed the audio driver from the Toshiba website. Once installed, the audio produced a distinct crackle, the kind you hear when you've got the speakers on too loud. i thought it mightve been just the built in speakers. i tested again with headphones and heard the same thing. i asked the previous owner and he said they were like that when it was bought but never used it for anything to do with audio wise so it wasnt an issue for him.

ive found another post re the "crackly audio" problem and the answer was make sure the driver used is from the official toshiba web site which mine is. the sound card make is sigmatel. i couldnt find another driver for this model.

anyone else with an m5 have a similar problem and if so, how do you improve the audio?

wainuitech
19-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Was the audio driver you down load the HD version ?

Also foundThis (http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=33751)
Dont know if its of any help or not, the download is around 3/4 down the page. Worth a crack.

Term_X
20-08-2007, 12:54 AM
cheers for the help wainuitech, i got excited when i saw that the name of the file looked different to the one i originally got. after installing i found it was the same driver :( . tested again with the headphones and it was exactly the same crackle sound grrrrr. i did see another driver by sigmatel but its for the qosmio model. might try it anyway.

Term_X
20-08-2007, 07:22 PM
i have come to the conclusion that sigmatel have horrible software. im surprised that toshiba allowed this rubbish software on their laptops. a friend at work has the same laptop and he says also that he's just put up with it also.

the interesting thing is i installed a driver specifically for another toshiba model and there was definately an improvement so go figure!

wainuitech
20-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Came across This (http://www.downloadsource.net/16240/Toshiba-SigmaTel-HD-Audio-Driver-Windows-XP/) Its not for your model, but it may ? work. the download link is the orange button about half way down the page called Pobierz - have no idea what language that is LOL

wainuitech
20-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I had a look on Toshiba's site abd couldn't find the model number you provided. But i did find this
download (http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1281773xml&sliceId=&dialogID=13220527&stateId=1%200%2013214950)

Term_X
21-08-2007, 07:47 PM
hey wainuitech, tried the link in your last post and so far its been the best. zero distortion now compared to the rubbish "official" drivers!

thanks for help :)

wainuitech
21-08-2007, 07:53 PM
hey wainuitech, tried the link in your last post and so far its been the best. zero distortion now compared to the rubbish "official" drivers!

thanks for help :)

Your welcome, hope you can get some sound now - Party at your house :lol: :thumbs:

Your friend may want them also if theirs is rubbish