PDA

View Full Version : HP laptop..can you change the contrast setting?

chovik
06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I want to change the contrast of my hp laptop. Changing the brightness just seems to make it go dull. I can not find anywhere to change the contrat as it seems a little too "bright" and hard on the eyes. Any help?

Graham L
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
There should be extra icons on some of the "Fx" keys, usually an "open crescent moon" for less contrast, and a "closed crescent moon" for more. The "function" key at the bottom left corner of the keyboard and the appropriate F key should do it.

chovik
07-07-2007, 09:17 AM
There are F keys that alter "brightness" but not contrast. Changing the so called "brightness" just makes everything look murky. I have searched but unable to find a way to change contrast.

godfather
07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Don't think you can

My last 2 laptops only had brightness control, contrast was fixed.

Shortcircuit
07-07-2007, 02:38 PM
It is possible to change contrast... Hp laptops have either Intel mobile graphics or Nvidia graphics.

On your desktop click on the task bar to 'show hidden icons' so you can see all icons on the taskbar.

Intel:

If it's intel there should be a blue 'square' icon... hold mouse over and it will have title 'Intel graphics media accelerator', double left click on it and menu appears, click on 1st item 'graphics properties' and it brings up a window where you can adjust gamma brightness contrast.

Nvidia:

If it's Nvidia look in the task bar and there should be a green square icon 'Nvidia settings' single left click for popup menu then click on 'colour correction' to bring up window with brightness contrast etc.

If you're running Vista (or XP) you can also access the intel/Nvidia graphics from the control panel.

chovik
08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi
Thanks for your replies. My laptop has the following graphics "ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with discrete PCI Express" What ever that means?
I can't find how to change the contrast for this, and can't/do not know how to find any graphics on the tool bar that relate to this graphics card..if this is what you were meaning in the above post. Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Shortcircuit
08-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Click on Start button, then 'control panel' and look for an icon that says 'Ati radeon' etc, double click on it and a menu should appear for the video card.... look for something like 'desktop colour correction' and click on it then look for slider controls for brightness, contrast etc ... have a look around, you can't hurt anything :thumbs:

PS- I am assuming that you have some sort of Windows operating system on your lap top.

chovik
09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks
I have found it in the "advanced" tab in display settings. Now just have to understand gama and colour settings :-(
Like you say should not be able to stuff up too much just hit the default settings if all turns pear shaped.
Cheers