PDA

View Full Version : DVR Surveillance software

NZMacka
03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Gidday guys,

I am in the process of setting up some "poor mans" CCTV....I have the cameras (ex Trade me) and also have some DVR software that came with the DVR card I bought. However the software is very average, (makes XP crash) even though I actually paid for it!! Anyway, I was'nt expecting much from it so not all is lost. Therein lies my question, is there any open source DVR software for Windows or even some cheap (or even better free) applications that are available?

If anyone knows of any, I'd appreciate the advice. I have searched Google but have'nt found any of the cheap/free versions!!!;)

winmacguy
03-06-2007, 02:10 PM
There is quite a bit of stuff available both in software and hardware although you obviously have to pay more for the better stuff. I saw a brochure the other day for an electronics hardware place in Newmarket that sold the hardware side of CCTV for a reasonable price. They we located just around the corner from the Snow Centre.

I was am looking at doing something similar myself with a couple of cameras hooked up to my iMac which is in sleep mode all day.

Chilling_Silence
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Look up Go1984, its the best, cant go wrong with it! Try the Trial, worth paying for, you wont regret it!

berryb
05-06-2007, 12:31 AM
What brand of DVR card did you buy? Most of then don't recommend AMD only Intel based boards and even then don't like certain chipsets - VIA. They also don't like onboard video. In saying that I have a Swann 4 port card running on a new AMD with onbaord Video no problems. On the other hand I had to replace the motherboard on an Alnet system as it didn't like the VIA chipset.

Your problem may be hardware based and not software.

Yes there is good free software but I can't for the life of me find the link or remmber the name of it :( If I find it will post.

NZMacka
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi guys and thanks for the replies....

I bought one of these on Trade Me:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Security-locks-alarms/Security-cameras/auction-102641399.htm

....that I have connected 3 (Swann) colour CMOS cameras to. Its not meant to be a state of the art system, it just watches my workshop to stop scum form stealing my tools (again). :angry :angry

It comes with some average software called SVDVR.... and when I run this it works OK..... but it always runs in full screen and I'd like to be able to move the application to a second monitor, however, I can't move the app over to my other LCD monitor - anyone know if this can be done another way?

Anyway, apart from the above problem, its notoriously unstable cheap software... and constantly locks up and needs Task Manager to restart the application.

Hence, I am on the lookout for a new monitoring app, I don't mind paying for it if its worthwhile. The problem is the trial apps I have downloaded will not see my cameras!!! Only when I run the SVDVR software will the camera images appear....

I have emailed the seller of the card to see if they can provide details on the DVR card chipset...but as yet no reply (not sure if I am surprised at that!)

All help and advice much appreciated!!!:D

winmacguy
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't know if it works on Windows or not, but I read an article about a guy who had this system installed and actually managed to nab the burglars with the help of recorded video footage that he showed to the cops.
It might be above your price range but this is the sort of thing I had in mind for our home security.
http://www.bensoftware.com/ss/index.html

berryb
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
You may find you will need the correct drivers for the card and software to work. Why not buy a cheap 4 channel PCI card like a Swann that comes with software and drivers and is supported locally. It isn't full of features but by the sound of things will do what you want.

I note that the card you purchased makes comment to recommended hardware.

I also have a couple of AverMedia 4 port cards here that I took out of a power spiked PC. They were not working correctly so replaced them but haven't had the time yet to find out if both are buggered or only one. May be of use to someone one day but it has certain hardware requirements.

Your full screen issue is a feature of the software. Security software is designed to run all the time and not be minimized. This isn't to say all software is like this but a lot are.

I still can't find the link to the free software.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Motion? IIRC its http://motion.sourceforge.net

NZMacka
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the above link - looks to be a linux app only? I am running Windows :(

Also.... I finally heard back from the seller on Trade Me...the chipset on the DVR card is a "Techwell 6800"....this probably explains why it does'nt work with any conexant or BT878A video chipset compatible software.....

Do any of you guys know anything about this type of chipset or card? Or do you know of ANY software that will work with this DVR card apart from the absolute crap that it came with!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=99701386

All help greatfully received and I thankyou all for the advice above....

Nest time I will be making sure I buy a BT878A video chipset DVR card.....

supertrouper
14-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I bought a DVR card (4 input) from Trademe a couple of years ago and it came with a copy of "Pico2000". Software was very easy to set up and works perfectly. Has never missed a beat since installing it. I did read somewhere soon after though that Pico2000 is now not allowed to be bundled with DVR cards.