PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem

jimjam
27-05-2007, 05:31 PM
For the last couple of days have been trying to log into my bank website (using IE6) and can't access my account details, up comes a page saying I have to enable java script which I have definitely enabled in Tools Internet Options etc, in fact the site is in the Trusted Zone where practically everything is enabled. Any suggestions welcome.

winmacguy
27-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Try FF its safer for internet banking. IE picks up too much crap and spyware. What bank are you with? I use FF for my internet banking and haven't had any problems with my bank or my wife's old bank.

jimjam
27-05-2007, 05:56 PM
FF is also my my browser of choice but there is one important website (my super fund) which will only work with IE and that is why I would like to resolve the problem. I hd IE 7 installed but thinking that if I went back to IE 6 it might work I reinstalled IE 6 but no go.

kjaada
27-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Have to second that when I had IE there were several problems and I wondered at times if I was on the bank page or a Phishing site.Get Firefox and be secure.

winmacguy
27-05-2007, 06:07 PM
My parents tried using IE 7 a while back I think and had nothing but problems with their email and BB so they downloaded FF and have not had a problem since.
You could contact the web master of the super fund site and let them know. These days ALL websites should be FF compatible since FF makes up 15% of the browser market and the only reason a web site is not suitable for FF is due to sloppy IE "standards" on the web developers end. IE truly is a piece of s**t when it comes to safe web browsing.

beeswax34
27-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Or atleast IE7 if you insist using IE

FoxyMX
27-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Guys, read jimjam's posts properly and quit pushing the Firefox agenda. jimjam has already said FF is his/her browser of choice and the required site does not work with it. :rolleyes:

jimjam I would suggest you contact your bank and let them know you are having a problem with it. They may have a solution or will get the webmaster to fix it, especially if others are having the same problem but if you don't tell them they won't know.

user
27-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I have had this same problem until recently. My desktop was unable to access any functions on the Xtramail except to read the email, however, my laptop connected on the wireless network was able to. Both used Zonealarm which I suspected of causing the problem. Disabling ZA and enabling the Windows firewall solved the problem temporarily except I wanted to use ZA as the default firewall. This happened with IE7, Opera and FF on the desktop so wasn't a problem with the browser. The laptop has IE7 and FF and was able to access the functions requiring javascript.

Recently, there was a ZA update and suddenly I can access all the functions on the desktop when I use Xtramail. I tried adjusting all the settings in ZA to enable javascript but nothing seemed to solve the problem until the update.

What firewall are you using? Try changing the firewall as I did and see if that makes any difference.

winmacguy
27-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Guys, read jimjam's posts properly and quit pushing the Firefox agenda. jimjam has already said FF is his/her browser of choice and the required site does not work with it. :rolleyes:

jimjam I would suggest you contact your bank and let them know you are having a problem with it. They may have a solution or will get the webmaster to fix it, especially if others are having the same problem but if you don't tell them they won't know.

I did mention contacting the web master to let them know.

jimjam
27-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the constructive advice FoxyMX, the strange thing is up until the last week or so when I last used IE to log onto these sites (about the only times I ever used IE) there was no problem but for some reason these and other sites I have tested do not recognise that Java Script is enabled in IE. Was hoping that somebody else may have struck this problem and had a solution.

Speedy Gonzales
27-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I take it Java (as in Sun Java, the latest version) is actually installed?

Safari
27-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Go through this MS info.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444/

jimjam
27-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the link Safari but could not see anything there which would solve my problem, however, in desperation I downloaded Opera browser and lo and behold I can now access the sites previously denied to me. Will spend the next couple of hours experimenting with this very attractive browser. Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply.