PDA

View Full Version : MS Word - putting picture into a text box

caffy
26-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to put a picture into a textbox in MS Word, which I'm able to do but after that I cannot format the picture's layout. I want to make it tight, so that the text (in the textbox) runs around it and also enabling me to move the picture around. When i try to format the layout it is 'greyed' out and I cannot select anything.

This means that I have a gap of no text from the top to bottom of the picture.

Thanks
caffy

lotse
26-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi
Why don't you insert an image into word via the insert menu -> picture-> from file-<dialog box>
When that is done right click the image in the document and select "format picture". It give you options for text/picture layout.

It sound like your doing things the hard way, unless I've misunderstood.

caffy
26-04-2007, 12:00 PM
This is what I have been doing.
The reason I am putting it into a textbox is because this is for a newsletter. Not a normal letter or anything like that.

After inserting the picture, I can get the format dialogue window open but it doesn't let me change the layout (it is greyed out).

See this picture to see what I mean: Attached file: layout_formatting.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/layout_formatting.JPG) (211 KB)
This is after I have inserted the picture into the textbox.

caffy

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Publisher would most probably be better it its installed, theres templates for Newsletters in Publisher.

caffy
26-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Good point, I just opened up Publisher and tried to do this, it seems to work but it is different.

I've been using Word for the past few newsletters so I will have to change Publisher's template to make sure it looks exactly the same. (The template did originally come from Publisher anyway so I'm sure this will be fine.)

But I would still like to know whether pictures can be inserted into textboxes?

johcar
26-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Good point, I just opened up Publisher and tried to do this, it seems to work but it is different.

I've been using Word for the past few newsletters so I will have to change Publisher's template to make sure it looks exactly the same. (The template did originally come from Publisher anyway so I'm sure this will be fine.)

But I would still like to know whether pictures can be inserted into textboxes?
In a word (excuse the pun!), yes (http://www.8009922144.com/Support/SupportAnswer.asp?documentation_id=1297&FAQAttributes=2&Attributes=&Searchbox=yes&customer_id=&profit_center_id=18), you can. I have never felt the need myself to try this, but would assume there would be limitations - it seems a bit like overkill. Speedy is correct in that Publisher has specific templates and functionality for what you are trying to achieve, but again, I have never felt the need to use it since I can usually get the job done with Word.

LucyL
26-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Don't use a text box to hold picture. Instead just insert the picture where you want it, resize etc and put a border around the picture (use right click to select borders). You can then choose what sort of text wrapping you want around the picture - tight, square, in front of or behind text etc.

Cheers Lucy