PDA

View Full Version : NEW hard drive: USED not new!

dragon
26-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi all

A few days ago I bought a replacement hard drive for my dad's pc and have just now installed it and was about to install Mandriva 2007 on it when I found that it has two partitions on it already! NTFS 24GB and extended NTFS 50GB.

I purchased it as new from Digitalcity online shop. What a ripoff!!! :mad:

I will return it tomorrow. I've bought many hard drives over the years and have never had this happen before, and I can't for the life of me remember if any of the drives came in a sealed package. Does anyone know if I can request a drive in a "sealed" package?

Jeez, I'm so p*ssed off at the moment because I was supposed to give dad his pc tomorrow.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Can't see why not.

Take it back and tell them that its not brand new. If you paid for a new hdd.

And that u expected a new hdd not a used one. And tell them to give u another one.

Greven
26-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Western Digital hard drives usually come in a sealed anti-static bag. Seagate & Samsung come in plastic cases that you can't tell if they have been opened or not. I'm not sure about the other brands.

drcspy
26-12-2006, 11:15 AM
easy to test if it's new or not.....run a recovery prog on it lol......with partitions on it tho is certainly NOT new

drcspy
26-12-2006, 11:16 AM
could be very interesting to find out what was on the drive.....maybe it's from a corporate upgrade and has sensitive data on it and they're reselling it without the previous owners permission.......could be VERY interesting

trinsic
26-12-2006, 01:23 PM
could be very interesting to find out what was on the drive.....maybe it's from a corporate upgrade and has sensitive data on it and they're reselling it without the previous owners permission.......could be VERY interesting

Some free recovery programs could see what used to be on it :xmouth:

Agent_24
26-12-2006, 08:17 PM
All the Seagates I have bought have come tightly wrapped in an anti-static bag with a sticker on it... that you have to break to open, and the Maxtors came in a sealed bag you have to tear open.