PDA

View Full Version : Gluing perspex - Help needed

Wizzard
24-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Could some one please help me. I am trying to glue perspex together with Tensol 7 but am making a complete mess. How can I glue, without making a mess? Syringe perhaps? It can't be very labour intensive as I have many pieces to glue. I am using Tensol 7 as I need a very strong bond. Thanks in advance. :help:

somebody
24-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi Wizzard and welcome to PressF1.

While I have never glued perspex myself, have you considered using masking tape to cover up the parts of the perspex you don't want covered in adhesive? I'm not too sure how well this will work, but it's worth a try.

FoxyMX
24-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Could some one please help me. I am trying to glue perspex together with Tensol 7 but am making a complete mess. How can I glue, without making a mess? Are you aware that this is a computer help forum? :waughh:

Not that it matters as you have posted in the correct forum and we have geeks that know about virtually everything under the sun. Sit tight and they will be along shortly. :D

Edit: Hmm, just thought of something. Is this persplex part of a PC case?

Terry Porritt
24-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Probably you need to develop a technique :)

There is another 'gluing' of Perspex thread recently posted on PF1.

The 'classical' way of bonding Perspex which I have used many times is to use chloroform. Chloroform disolves Perspex and the bond joint becomes invisible.

The method is/was used extensively when making Perspex models, and in photo-elastic work.

Either neat chloroform was used, or preferably Perspex chips were dissolved in chloroform to make a thicker 'glue'. The resulting joint is more akin to welding than gluing.

bonzo29
24-08-2006, 11:17 AM
For the record Perxpex was the ICI name for cast acrylic sheet and Tensol 7 was also made by ICI specifically for cementing Perspex. Chloroform will do the job of dissolving px as Terry says although Tensol 7 used a lower molecular acrylic polymer

I

Graham L
24-08-2006, 12:00 PM
... Is this persplex part of a PC case? Watch your spelling, Susan. :D The questioner is perplexed about gluing Perspex.:cool:
I, too, will merely suggest reference to the other thread on this subject. :thumbs:

FoxyMX
24-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Now now Graham, you know perflectly well there is nothing at all wrong with my perflect spelling and that it is my cold numb flingers pressing keys that they have no business pressing. ;)

Besides, people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, remember? :thumbs: :D

Graham L
24-08-2006, 01:16 PM
My spelling is always perfect. Except when it's not. :waughh:

Wizzard, a small brush might help in applying the Tensol.

Do the 5 second instant glues work on perspex as well as they work on fingers?

Jen
24-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Are you aware that this is a computer help forum? Google the words gluing perspex ... :rolleyes:

Never ceases to amaze me how well fed the googlebots are around here. :p

SurferJoe46
25-08-2006, 03:33 AM
We always used a hypodermic needle to place a small amount of cement (not glue) to our plexiglas...allowing it to "wick" or use capillary action to be sucked into the seam.

Ether works fine, and I forget the best cement we usta use but it probably was acetone..... resist the urge to use Super-Glue or any other C/A types.

Having the plexiglas a little cold or cooler than the cement, it seems to work better at flowing to all the contact points of the joint or seam.

Clean all joints and areas to be bonded with denatured alcohol first to remove oils and sweat deposits to make the joint stronger.

Make sure that the Plexiglas is clean (use mineral spirits or isopropyl alcohol, not acetone which will attack the Plexiglas no matter what you use.

Sometimes some of the components in the protective release paper, which is a silicone or fluorocarbon remain on the Plexiglas surface, and nothing will stick.

There are commercial adhesives for Plexiglas and they are your best bet. You can find them in hobby shops, some hardware or retail building supply stores, and stores that sell window glass.

Although I have not done a search, you can probably find an appropriate adhesive supplier by doing a web search on the terms: "Plexiglas adhesive" or "polymethyl methacrylate adhesive" -- that is the chemical name for Plexiglas.