PDA

View Full Version : AMD drivers

JJJJJ
16-05-2006, 09:48 PM
While browsing The AMD site trying to convince myself I needed an FX60 pcu I found the following download.
Of course I had to download it and install it. Amazingly it has increased the speed at which programs load and pages turn by a considerable margin.
What I want to know is why it isn't enclosed with a new cpu. I've never even heard of it before.
Anyone know anything about it?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

And I don't think I need a $2000 cpu.

SolMiester
16-05-2006, 09:54 PM
You could instead get an Opteron 165 for around $550 and clock it to FX60 speeds..... :D

memphis
16-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah I would second the opteron it runs cooler,great overcloker,and if your buying a new amd system or updating your amd cpu then go for a opteron.

Make sure its a 939 opteron as there is a 940 opteron as well and so wont work on a 939 mb.

Also there is a single core and dual core cpu 939 opteron.

Oh and dont forget AM2 will be here very soon but like intel they are going to implement TPM on the cpu and mb, dx 10 video cards will be getting it as well.

TPM is bad for people with heaps of dvds,mp3,file shearing etc.

(Are those 10,000 songs for your ipod bought from a shop,yeah right.)

Music/movie/microsoft/softwear companies are pushing this to lock down computers that dont player there game.Its all about money and how they are missing out on more billions of money from disgusting cheaters etc.

The_End_Of_Reality
17-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Ooh interesting, can you uninstall it? (if it is not good for OCing)
Do you think it will work with SP1?

JJJJJ
17-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Ooh interesting, can you uninstall it? (if it is not good for OCing)
Do you think it will work with SP1?

Suggest you read the sight.

The_End_Of_Reality
17-05-2006, 10:16 AM
I did and just thought to ask incase, going to upgrade to SP2 soon anyway

Is there an uninstall part?

memphis
17-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Go to www.wikipedia.com a free enclopedia.

Look up TPM=Trusted plateform Module.

And look up TC=Trusted Compting.

This is coming very soon with the new hardwear coming out,amd,intel,nvidia,ati,mb makers,harddrives,etc,and windows vista of course.

So it will be chip implemented into hardwear-cant get away from that,and softwear implemented with vista,oh and if you thought you would be safe with just updating your hardwear and not going to windows vista well think again its on the hardwear too,so they got you either way.

Oh and expect a "new critical update" to stop blah blah from happening for windows xp users.To get them as well softwear wise.

This is dangerous you have been warned.

Welcome to your future!! :eek:

Hitler would love this.

Bang computer wont work.Softwear,not compatale must use compatable software,ie windows.Linux not supported.

This is of course all tied in with what "they" have planned for the internet.

NOT GOOD,VERY BAD!!!

Its all about control people.

Laying the foundation stones for one world government.

JJJJJ
17-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I did and just thought to ask incase, going to upgrade to SP2 soon anyway

Is there an uninstall part?

No uninstall file. Probably can be removed by a straight out "delete"
Here's the "read me" file.

DESCRIPTION:

This driver supports processor performance control via the processor objects defined in the ACPI 2.0 specification.

REQUIREMENTS:

1) AMD Athlon™ 64/Sempron™/Turion™ 64/Opteron™ systems with ACPI 2.0 processor performance control objects
2) Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

KNOWN Windows XP LIMITATIONS:
1) "System Properties" reports wrong processor speed.
For more information, please refer to the following website:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303602

2) The Processor speed may be reported incorrectly in Windows XP.
For more information, please refer to the following website:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316965

3) If not running ServicePack 2 (SP2), the processor performance state may not be restored to the maximum state if the CPU runs at 100 percent. This problem occurs if the computer is 100 percent busy when the power policy changes.
For more information and support options, please refer to the following website:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330512

NOTE: As with all driver installations on Windows XP or Server 2003, you need to login as Administrator or have administrator rights for your domain login.

pctek
17-05-2006, 01:53 PM
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need.

The FX60 is a great CPU for gaming. Intense gaming.
Otherwise don't bother. Unless you're rich of course.

As for the software - why do you need a piece of software to automatically overclock it for you? You want to overclock, the do so....its just kind of like auto overclocking for dummies....

JJJJJ
17-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I've decided I'm not that rich, so I won't get one until the price is down about 75%.

Overclocking. Never thought of that. I suppose you're right.Just though of it as some magic software that made it go faster.
Well it doesn't seem to have done any harm so it can stay there.

pctek
17-05-2006, 04:13 PM
My motherboard BIOS has a similar thing, so you can set it to overclock on demand (from apps) 5%, 8% etc etc.

Deimos
17-05-2006, 11:03 PM
FYI the driver is not included with the CPU however it IS supplied with the motherboard on the driver CD.

Agent_24
18-05-2006, 12:25 AM
You could instead get an Opteron 165 for around $550 and clock it to FX60 speeds..... :D

Or get 4 opterons and stick them in a $4,640 motherboard (http://www.pcalpha.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=24_217&products_id=1804&osCsid=f013dee6b4382f78aca65e54b3502c45).

If only that had PCI-E and SLI...... :D

Murray P
18-05-2006, 01:30 AM
My motherboard BIOS has a similar thing, so you can set it to overclock on demand (from apps) 5%, 8% etc etc.

Teky, I think this is more a power saving feature, i.e. it shuts off some CPU processes if they're not required by the particular programme or task at hand, and ramps them back up when required, rather than just clocking it when you start xxgame for e.g.

Trusted computing = We don't trust you, our client, consumer, user, customer. Rat bags :yuck: