PDA

View Full Version : Will New Hard Drive Increase Speed

whitts
24-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Gidday,
I have a laptop 1.4Ghz Celeron, 256mb Ram and 40gb hard drive. I have used 35gb leaving me with only 5gb free and i have noticed the computer is taking longer to load up programs and boot ect.. If i decide to upgrade my hard drive say to 80gb will i notice any difference in the general loading times ect?

gcarmich
24-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Depends, is the disk drive the bottleneck? Will the new hard drive be faster than the old one ?

A reinstall of the Operating System and Applications (not forgetting AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall) will speed the machine up if it hasn't been done for some time. Another way to get a bit more speed out of it is to defrag the hard drive partitions if they are fragmented. More memory might help as well.

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2006, 03:08 PM
No, but getting more ram, and a faster CPU will help

Defragging the hdd would also help.

ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) may help. It'll clean the temp files etc on the hdd.

tweak'e
24-04-2006, 03:34 PM
yes, provided the harddrive is faster than the previous one.

Metla
24-04-2006, 04:29 PM
uh....no,not unless your HD is breaking down, Your CPU/Ram/Motherboard wont be throwing around enough data fast enough to warrent a faster HD.

Your first action would be to defrag the HD, delete all the temp and cache files on the system, and then dump all the unrequired items running in the background. It will give your system back its legs.

If you want an instant performance increase then double your ram.

tweak'e
24-04-2006, 05:14 PM
gotto disagree there metla, hardrives are a big bottle neck. hardrive speeds havn't kept pace with cpu or ram speeds. most pc's simply have to wait for the hardrive.
while the speed increase may not show when just useing one app (thats fully loaded into the ram) it certainly shows up when running mulitable progs, exspecialy when open/closing switching between apps. it most certainly will help in load times.

XP is a virtual memory system ie everything is run off page file so slower the hardrive the slower the memory system runs.don't forget with XP the more ram you have the BIGGER the page file becomes.

most new 80gig drives are faster than an older 40gig. s

Metla
24-04-2006, 05:20 PM
When did they say they were running XP?

Anyhow, its a celery 1.4 with bugger all ram, a faster HD will do squat,diddly squat.

Edit.

And yeah, Thanks for the "lesson on PC basics", thats about the tenth one you have given me now, I apreciate them, Print them out and tack em to the wall, carry a couple round in my wallet, gave some copies away to family at christmas time, and will probally expand into T-Shirts by the end of the year.

MTLance
24-04-2006, 05:29 PM
A new HDD doesn't mean that HDD will automacticallly speed up unless you maintain it e.g. keeping the system in order like defrag HDD, remove trojan,virus,spyware,fix broken registry and etc. I normally maintain my computer myself. So far so good for yrs except virus attack.
Before buying a HDD check the HDD RPM speed and which processor is compatible with itn or not.
Standard HDD RPM is 7200. The faster file transfering and file searching HDD will cost a lot more.

tweak'e
24-04-2006, 05:52 PM
And yeah, Thanks for the "lesson on PC basics", thats about the tenth one you have given me now

NP :thumbs: :D

even in school holidays you can't excape the teacher :lol:

presso
24-04-2006, 05:54 PM
And yeah, Thanks for the "lesson on PC basics", thats about the tenth one you have given me now, I apreciate them, Print them out and tack em to the wall, carry a couple round in my wallet, gave some copies away to family at christmas time, and will probally expand into T-Shirts by the end of the year.

whahahahahah , gotta love that , gave me one hell of a good laugh anyway.

everybody knows that hdd's have been the bottleneck for quite some time, regardless of lappy or desktop , hence why sata is such a speed enhancer although not the speed everybody wants cause we all want instant things to happen. I was lucky enough to try out a 4gig ssd i-ram disc and man oh man when you can start getting these things around the 80gig size and at a cheaper price they will be the way to go , i tried loding xp-pro onto it and when i booted it up after installing it was instant , bloody amazing.

gibler
24-04-2006, 05:55 PM
It my experience, the average user may tell you things "run slowly" if they have a slow drive i.e. less than 7200 RPM. An example was the original mac minis..

Then again, you usually find they have some huge iTunes collection or photos from their digital camera...

Metla
24-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Simple answer, It needs a service, and perhaps more ram.

MTLance
24-04-2006, 07:23 PM
lol. :lol:
They have big HDD, but a computer is much faster file seaching and transfering.
I think my 5yrs old computer can transfer file faster than ipod, and ipod mini.

whitts
25-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks for everyones replies: I am running xp and i defraged a couple of days ago, i run two spyware programs, virus and a firewall.

What would a system service entail anyway?

I am a university student and my work envolves alot of reaserch, so having a word processer, pdf viewer, and multiple webpages open is often the case. Am dreaming thinking that i could have good speeds in this instance?

Metla
25-04-2006, 12:38 AM
The simplest service is to install and run cccleaner,and then to use the startup tab under advanced options in Spybot to turn off unrequired applications that are starting up everytime you launch windows.If you have never disabled any such items you may have dozens. If you wanted to you could shut down everything apart from your AV and firewall, though some of the other items maybe needed, especially on a Laptop.

Other then that, increase your ram, 256 just aint enough for XP.

kjaada
25-04-2006, 10:28 AM
If just more space would help then on such a full drive getting rid of all except the last restore point might create a fair bit of room do it before a defrag and
only if you a confident you have been running trouble free for some time.

FoxyMX
25-04-2006, 12:05 PM
The original poster is asking about a laptop hard drive in case anyone missed it, and according to this page (http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2603) there is a significant difference between the commonly used 4200rpm drives and the 5400rpm drives:

Most notebooks come with a 4200rpm drive standard, and that's cripplingly slow. 1.8" drives are always 4200rpm<snip>
The difference in performance between a 4200rpm and 5400rpm drive is usually about 33% in favor of the 5400. A lot of users have reported substantially smoother computing experiences after making this upgrade, so if you can go with a 5400rpm if you're custom ordering your machine, do so.

If that is the case then it would pay to check what speed the laptop's current drive is and if it is the 4200rpm then upgrading to a 5400rpm drive should speed things up a bit.

Metla
25-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Bah.

I am quite aware that it is a laptop, and I assumed the speed of the HD would be 4200rpm, The main bottle neck is still the lack of ram, and that the OS will be bloated.

If money is to be spent then put it towards ram, and give the thing a tune up.

tweak'e
25-04-2006, 03:14 PM
err...metla and co.....

whitts NEVER ASKED about upgradeing ram/cpu or about any upgrades to improve speed. he/she asked " If i decide to upgrade my hard drive say to 80gb will i notice any difference in the general loading times ect?", thats all. nothing to do with ram etc. naturally upgradeing the cpu to a pentium would certainly make it faster, the same with adding ram, cleaning out the junk, and tweaking the OS. however none of that wasn't asked.

if he/she upgrades the hardrive due to the lack of space the odds are he/she should get a performance increase depending on how much faster the new drive is.

somehow i doubt manafactures would bother making faster drives if drive speed didn't impact performance.

Metla
25-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Thats correct, they asked the wrong question.

As it is I bet I could free up 10 GB on that HD.

FoxyMX
25-04-2006, 03:44 PM
The main bottle neck is still the lack of ram, and that the OS will be bloated.

If money is to be spent then put it towards ram, and give the thing a tune up.
I agee wholeheartedly with that but since the hard drive has only 5GB free space left it would be prudent to either replace it with a bigger one or do some drastic pruning. Defragging requires 15% free space to do the job properly and that hard drive is close to being full in that respect. Upgrading the hard drive is going to be a necessity if the user cannot or does not want to clean it up quite a bit.

Yes, you could easily free up 10GB metla, but I bet it wouldn't be long before it gets filled up again if it's anything like my hard drive. :rolleyes:

tweak'e: whitts may not have asked about anything other than upgrading the hard drive but it would be irresponsible of us not to suggest other ways that can boost performance of his/her computer as not everyone knows about these tricks.

stu161204
25-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes, you could easily free up 10GB metla, but I bet it wouldn't be long before it gets filled up again if it's anything like my hard drive. :rolleyes:

LOL You think your hard drive is bad, I bet mine is worse ;) :D