PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modems Trouble

Tokumaru
19-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey people I have a DSL-502T and it has the V1.00B01.NZ firmware installed. I want to upgrade to the latest firmware so I can get ADSL2+ speeds but i'm having some trouble. My modem isn't going past 1Mbs at the moment, a friend who has the same modem has speeds up to 3.5Mbs, we're on th esame exchange.

I have downloaded the latest V2.00B03.AU firmware from dlink.com.au and have tried both methods of installing the firmware. Using the web interface I get a "Error: No/Invalid Magic number" error and using the executable installer I get a "Telnet(tftp get) timeout!" error.

I have given the modem a hard reset and disabled the firewall to try and get the latest version on there but it keeps giving me those errors.

Can anyone help me?

Mamaz
20-04-2006, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Tokumaru]Hey people I have a DSL-502T and it has the V1.00B01.NZ firmware installed. I want to upgrade to the latest firmware so I can get ADSL2+ speeds but i'm having some trouble. My modem isn't going past 1Mbs at the moment, a friend who has the same modem has speeds up to 3.5Mbs, we're on th esame exchange.
QUOTE]

Are you an Xtra customer? Reason I ask is because I know Xtra supplies the 502T as the single PC modem now. IF you are trying to upgrade the firmware just to get 3.5MBps connect rates then you DO NOT need to. 3.5Mbps that Telecom is providing is NOT ADSL2+. ADSL2+ will provide up to 24Mbps and that will be implemented in June at major metro areas by Telecom.

The speed you connect at depend on your plan. Well assuming you are an Xtra customer, there isn't a 1 mbps plan available so I am assuming that you should be getting 3.5MBps. The reasons behind poor connect rates are as below: (you can verify this in details with Xtra support, call after 10pm if you don't wish to wait in a queue. They are open 24hours)

1. From the 502T, the ADSL cable is connected to a extension cable and the extension connects to the wall jackpoint (be it with or without a filter). Cheap extn cables are made of wiring thinner than 0.4mm and this will significantly degrade the ADSL signal to the modem.
2. You have more than 5 phones or phone devices (fax, sky digital) hooked onto the phone line at the same time as the modem. Again ADSL signal will be degraded and you need a splitter installed by a Telecom techie
3. Your distance from the local exchange is a major factor as well. anything past 4.5Kms start getting dodgy rates. you can your distance by calling xtra support or telecom.
4. It could be a faulty modem (very rare), only way to prove it is would be to get your mates modem to your place, hook it up and check connect rates.
5. There is a physical fault between your jackpoint and the exchange. This will be checked by a Telecom techie. You will not get charged for this unless something you connected at your premises causes this. I would talk to xtra support to run through all the checks first and then book out a techie. A fault doesn't mean that you will hear or feel it through your phone when you are talking, it could be anything from rotting cables to line imbalance.

I strongly recommend that you talk to your ISP. If they adv you that it is the firmware, i would request the reference for the call and then talk to Dlink support. I can assure you though that the current ADSL network is not ADSL2+ and no-one in the currently needs to upgrade their firmware to receive 3.5MBps connect rates.