PDA

View Full Version : Need for speed:Most wanted

imarubberducky
09-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Im trying to install most wanted and it refuses to install saying i require DirectX 9.0c.

The problem is i have DirectX 9.0c, and even the "EasyInfo Tool" on the nfs disc says i have it.

These are the minimum specs for nfs | and my specs

CPU: 1.4 GHz or faster | 1.7 Celeron
RAM: 256 MB or more | 640 DDR ram
Disc Drive: 8x or faster CD/DVD drive | 16x DVD/CD drive
Hard Drive: 3 GB or more free space | Yes
Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible | Geforce 4 MX 420 64mb
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible |Yes

Video card with 32 MB or more memory and one of these chipsets is required: ATI Radeon 7500 or greater; ATI Radeon Xpress 200; NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/GTS or greater; Intel 950/i915g; S3 GammaChrome S18 Pro

I have the latest video drivers and have reinstalled DirectX from the nfs CD.

Anyone have any idea why MW thinks that i don't have DirectX 9.0c installed?

gibler
09-12-2005, 07:11 PM
3 workarounds (sourced from those naughty torrent forums)

1) Question
Why does the game keep asking to install DirectX 9.0c?

Answer
If the installation of Need For Speed: Most Wanted prompts you to install DirectX 9.0c and it's already installed on your system, choosing to cancel will stop the installation. Continuing with the installation of DirectX 9.0c will proceed with the installation, but after a reboot, you will be prompted to install again.

To get around this cycle, follow these steps if you are using Windows XP:

1.With CD 1 in the disk drive, open My Computer.
2.Right-click your CD drive and choose Explore.
3.Right-click Autorun.exe and choose Properties.
4.Select the Compatibility tab.
5.Click once in the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for:
6.Select Windows 2000 from the drop down menu.
7.Apply changes.

Once you have set Autorun.exe to run in Windows 2000 mode, double-click Autorun.exe and the installation will start. Follow the instructions given and the game will install properly.

2) Create a new Windows User account, login, install and then delete that user

3) To all that have DirectX Problem when installing:
1. mount or insert disc 1 on your drive
2. go to the drive and select all the files on the cd.
3. copy all the files to your hard drive, no matter where.
4. your hard drive where you copied the files, go to the "AutoRun" Directory, find the file "autorun.cfg"
5. open the file in notepad, search for the field "DirectXVersion" and change the value from "9.0c" to "0", save the file, make sure it isnt read only.
6. run setup and when it askes for the next cd, mount or load the next cd, wait for the disc load, and press OK on the setup and it will find the CD on your drive.
7. do the same for all the discs of the game.
8. thats it.

Metla
09-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Uh....Does this issue only apply to the warez version?

If so then buy the game, stealing it is one thing, asking for support in running stolen gear is another.

If you do have a legit copy, then I don't apologise in the least, Lifes like that.

Trev
09-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes you have to install it in Windows 2000 mode. I had the directX9c problem to. Just another thing after you have installed it you well have to run it from your desktop icon, if you click on the play button after you have put the play disk in it says you have the wrong disk in drive.

Trevor :)

imarubberducky
09-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Cheers, workaround 1 worked, (well im installing it now). And yes im using a legit copy.

Helious
17-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Thank the heavens there is a suitable work around. I was feeling nostalgic tonight and felt like giving NFSMW a blat, I put the CD in and it told me to install dx9.0c - I started getting pretty ****ty.

To get it going I

Copied CD1 to my hard drive(anywhere, doesn't matter)
Edited the Autorun.cfg in the AutoRun folder using Wordpad
Edited "DirectXVersion" from "9.0c" to "0", saved changes
Launched the Autorun and everything worked fine.

There's no need to copy all CDs to your Hard drive, the first one is all you need.

gary67
17-11-2008, 06:37 AM
3 years on someone posts a fix