PDA

View Full Version : Help? Overheating?

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 03:37 AM
Im not a computer expert or anything so I dont know what to do.

Well my problem is that everytime I put the side back on my computer [the cover]..my computer doesnt work, it starts to freeze up and den unfreeze and the CPU usage keeps going to 100..Then minutes later I end up just freezing and having to reboot.

So now I have to use my computer with the cover off [exposing the insides] Doing this stops the freezing and stuff..and it runs pretty smoothly..

Can someone tell me whats wrong with my computer?

Thanks.

drcspy
23-11-2005, 05:46 AM
almost certainly overheating.......poor airflow while the side is on.......perhaps take a look under the fan that sits on the processor heatsink ........if theres a lot of dust stuck in the heatsink it'll stop the fan from blowing air thru it to cool the cpu thus it'll overheat quite quickly.........

heni72847
23-11-2005, 06:36 AM
install some temperature monitorying program such as Mother Board Monitor or just look under bios to see if there's reading for sensors
this way you can check out if your sys runs the cpu rise to certain temp then crash

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 10:29 AM
almost certainly overheating.......poor airflow while the side is on.......perhaps take a look under the fan that sits on the processor heatsink ........if theres a lot of dust stuck in the heatsink it'll stop the fan from blowing air thru it to cool the cpu thus it'll overheat quite quickly.........

^alright when i get home i will clean out the fan and under it..and ill tell u if it works or not.

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I havent tried yet because i dont want to pop the fan off, im scared i might screw up something.

Do you guys think its safe to leave the side off?..or will there be a side effect or something?

I was just blowin the top of the fan and cleanin it, and i got the side on right now, and it hasnt messed up..yet..

chiefnz
23-11-2005, 01:05 PM
It may be a good idea to invest in a few case fans. I would suggest a front intake fan 120mm (hopefully your case has a fan bracket for this) and then also a side intake fan 80mm if you have a space for that.

I have a 120mm instake in the front and 1 instake fan (80mm) on the side, my cpu idles at 38 degrees and my mobo is 30 degrees.

cheers

chiefnz

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 01:15 PM
^ i only have an extra fan thing on the back..maybe ill go pick one up..yeah i can only use the computer with the side off..i dont know why this suddenly happened out of nowhere..it just started freezin den didnt turn on..it even went as bad as not 'beeping' when u turn on the computer.

FoxyMX
23-11-2005, 01:38 PM
You haven't exactly provided much detail with regards to your system.

Are you in New Zealand, and if so, where? It is normal for case temperatures to increase with the onset of hotter summer weather but if your system has poor airflow then the temperature inside will be a lot higher than it should be.

What case have you got? How many fans does it have, what size and whereabouts are they? Are there any unused fan locations?

What is the temperature of the room the computer is in? What is the temperature inside the case with the side off and with the side on?

You will need to provide answers to those questions before any constructive advice can be given.

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 01:55 PM
I dont really know what case I got, its a custom built computer with an ASROCK mother board..Thermal something fan, the case is like white with a blue front..I dont even know just looks plain haha.

I only have 1 fan attached to the motherboard..And the power supply fan. The temprature in my room is never really hot, its like 60-70 when I put the heater on, but most the time its cold since Im in Washington State. I dont know the temprature of the computer yet, need to look for a program or something, someone tell me how to check for it.

But I think it has something to do with the air flow and overheating since my computer works regular when the cover is off...I need to go buy some canned air and blow all the dust and stuff off..

apparition
23-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I need to go buy some canned air and blow all the dust and stuff off..

Reguardless of anything else, this is a good idea.

This is in a NZ store but you can get the same thing in the US under a different brand name
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4383c10b099dd1402740c0a87f990720/Product/View/XH5088
It is a fan designed for the case to be closed and it just fits into one of your empty card slots and is safe for a noob to install.

legendisdope
23-11-2005, 03:36 PM
^ alright..I have my case on right now, the side is on..and its been for about 1-2 hours and i havent encountered a problem yet, maybe gettin all the dust off worked. but if i run into any more problems ill be sure to look into that fan.

Albert
02-12-2005, 10:09 PM
For a start, what ventilation do u have? This influences the heat problem you are having. Also consider going to a repair shop and having a turbo fan set up in your computer, you really need better cooling systems. Also to be aware of your computer temperature you should set up a Temperature Monitor inside, or use a software. A good one to use is Speedfan 4.27, which you can get from this website:http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
It can monitor the temperature of your motherboard and not only that, check your fan speeds to see if they are consistent and also check the health of your hard disk plus control the voltage of electricity entering the computer. But if you have Norton Internet Security or Zone Alarm watch out as both interfere with the download process.