PDA

View Full Version : Broken Laptop Screen

PhillMan17
22-11-2005, 05:12 PM
This has got to be one of the oddest and scariest things to ever happent to me in computers! In over 17 years of computer use, I have never seen such a thing. My wife opened our laptop and to our horror saw this (click the link please):

http://www.1oel.com/vx3100/lap_screen.jpg

NOTHING happened to the laptop before this happened. It was just sitting on the coffee table, my wife used it just 10 minutes before this happened and had just closed the unit while using it last (10 minutes before; closing automatically puts it in standby).

I believe the unit is still under warranty. It is an Acer Aspire 2012, and it cost like $1500 originally.

What are your thoughts, and will Acer cover such an occurence?

Thanks,
-Phill

Graham L
22-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Ask Acer :D They will know. I'm sure they replace a few. The panels are fragile, and the cases and hinges can sometimes be twisted enough to break them. If there are no obvious signs of abuse there's no reason why they should not accept it as something which happens.

That's the most expesnive part of the computer, so I hope your guarantee is still valid.

PhillMan17
22-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Ask Acer :D They will know.

I would love to ask them, but since I didn't register within 90 days of purchase, they claim that my warranty expired back in September. They said I needed to register it first. My guess is, that date is a year to date when they stopped making this model.

I said that I bought it the beginning of this year and I just never got around to registering. They said I needed to fax a receipt from the company I bought it from and then they will extended my warranty to the correct date. I just hope they are willing to fix the screen. It cost me over $1500 after everything was said and done, and it would be a shame to have to just dump it :(

Graham L
22-11-2005, 05:58 PM
That looks like a good attitude on their part so far ... they don't know when you bought it, but they're happy for you to prove it.

intel hunter
22-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I had the same problem with my Acer 250 Travelmate this year, screen snapped from corner to corner. Sent to an Acer authorised service repair place in Christchurch. Apparently the tech in Ch Ch said it was an assembly fault caused by too much pressure on the screen due to wrong assembly. Got it back after a month and many calls to Acer in regards to why it happened. Be prepared to wait a long time for return.

Be aware that Acer will ask you many many questions about what you were doing to make it snap. Even the techs at the Ch Ch firm tried to blame it on me by saying I must have left a pen or some foreign object under the lid when I closed it. In the end all was good but I don't think I would buy another Acer again as I have had the drive die on me as well, all in the space of 3 months, but that's another story. :(

Prescott
22-11-2005, 06:40 PM
im still waiting from an email from Toshiba regarding a new screen.........

PhillMan17
08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Ask Acer :D They will know. I'm sure they replace a few. The panels are fragile, and the cases and hinges can sometimes be twisted enough to break them. If there are no obvious signs of abuse there's no reason why they should not accept it as something which happens.

That's the most expesnive part of the computer, so I hope your guarantee is still valid.

OK, so Acer has the system, it was no problem to get my warranty verified when I faxed in my receipt. Now they are telling me that they won't fix a cracked LCD since IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR AN LCD TO CRACK WITHOUT THE CUSTOMER DOING THE DAMAGE! They won't admit that it is possible for an LCD to crack without myself, someone else, or ANYONE in the world doing it - e.g. I must have done it :( But that sadly isn't the case. The laptop was just sitting on the coffee table OPEN and my turned it on and presto - broken LCD!!! I have spoken to two people so far and I am having it escalated again, hopefully when I speak to a "real" supervisor they will be able to help me. So far, they want me to pay $449 to have it repaired . . . a MIGHTY discount from their standard $649 LCD fix it price. This is crazy, since you can get a brand new laptop for that price! So it looks like I need someone pretty high up to help me here. The laptop is in PERFECT condition, we treated it like a baby, we even left the thin film on the cover of the unit on to keep it scratch free!!!