PDA

View Full Version : Distorted DVD audio

kjaada
22-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Older puter 400mz CPU. DVD drive just installed and it plays the graphics great but the
audio is distorted is there a quick fix or a hardware upgrade required?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Somehow, I dont think the CPU is fast enough to handle DVD.

Update the system.

DangerousDave
22-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I know you can get mpeg decoder cards to help with that sort of thing (unsure of name). I'm sure i've read a review a few years back about how they help older computers play DVD's. They are quite expensive (well were, don't expect that to change), it would probably be cheaper to upgrade...

kjaada
22-11-2005, 01:34 PM
OK,would a 450Mz CPU do the job or is something more required as that is as high as he can go on his present MB and of coarse as with most older puter users he is on a benefit.

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Nope. A CPU 1 ghz+ would be better for DVD.

Metla
22-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Upgrading to a 50hz faster cpu wont do diddly squat.

Shut down all tasks using resources, defrag the HD, Update the audio and video drivers. Head into the CP and lower audio processing if you can, lower video acceleartion.

Turn off your wallpaper, lower the refresh rate to 60hz,Set display to 16-bit, Lower the display resolution,Remove all desktop icons.

add some ram, or a better soundcard.

Though don't expect it to cure the issue, Each tweak only frees up a tiny amount of resources.

A reasonable system with a 400mhz cpu can play back DVD's with no issue.

CYaBro
22-11-2005, 01:48 PM
What operating system is the machine running?
I may have an old decoder board lying around but it only works in Win95/98.

kjaada
22-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks all u guys.
The OS is XP unfortunatly but thanks 4 the offer.We will work on all the suggestions.(he actually has no more space on his desktop for another shortcut so that will be a start)
I should also add, he is 42 and mentally handicapped and on top of that he is
the carer for his blind 82 year old dad who was a gunner on catalinas in the war in the
pacific.I try to help as much as I can and get real satisfaction out of us getting results
quite often this forum is the catalyst.

Metla
22-11-2005, 02:57 PM
XP?

There is no way there will be enough resources to playback DVD's, Ignore the tweaks I suggested above, You could strip it right back to barebones and you still wouldn't get the desired results.

As for upgrading, You can pick up a much more powerful system that will get better results at less cost from trademe or tradef1.....

Metla
22-11-2005, 03:00 PM
What part of the country are you in kjaada?, and how good are you with hardware?

I could possibly send you some parts, but they would take a bit of know-how to get up and running.

Rob99
22-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Video Lan Client

kjaada
22-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Have recently brought a MB on trade me to upgrade from 300 to 400Mhz which
was a major 4 him.If the tweaks wont work then no DVD's

Metla
22-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Hmmm......I have an 800MHZ cpu sitting in a motherboard, There is no price attached, Not trying to make a sale.

kjaada
22-11-2005, 04:09 PM
There is the big problem.
I am in Nelson and Pete is in ChCh
We had yonks of correspondence to get the MB and then get it installed and working.
(I had a bit of a steep learning curve there as well) as I had always stayed on the outside of me puter prior to that.
He has a friend at Canty UNI who I suspect is getting more than a bit Peed of with him also.
So from here on in we are on our own and simple solutions will be best.

Metla
22-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Hmm.

One other thing you can try is start the DVD playback, then bring up task manager, right click the media player process, select Priority, Then select the one second from the top.

This may make not improve the playback, may in fact make it worse, But worth a shot.

kjaada
22-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Hmmm......I have an 800MHZ cpu sitting in a motherboard, There is no price attached, Not trying to make a sale.
You have just restored my faith in human nature I felt someone would help
After my sincere postings, and they really are.Pete has been IH since birth
and 3 years ago had a major op for a brain tumour,lost his mum at a faily early
age and his puter is his be all end all.(I know it is all a bit hard to believe but it is for real)
Let me know what you would like to do.I have no problem paying freight etc.
Colin

Rob99
22-11-2005, 10:42 PM
You say your mate is in Chch, I am also in Chch, I also have an old Win98 computer doing nothing, I will check it out in the morning to see what specs it has, if it will do what he wants and he wants it, its his.

This is only the box though, no monitor, I could find mouse and keyboard to if needed.

Metla
22-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Alrighty, Lets see what Rob can come up with seeing as he is local, Failing that I'll go through my spare parts and see what I can come up with.

Chilling_Silence
23-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Something <500Mhz would realistically need to be running Win98 with something like PowerDVD3

My dad had a 500Mhz laptop with 768MB Ram. Worked perfect in Win98 on the laptop using PowerDVD 3 & 5. Upgraded to WinXP and it didnt like it one bit. Clean install and it was a little better, but not totally perfect until I went through and disabled a ton of services etc.

It works now, but thats all the laptop can do, it needs all the other apps totally closed etc.

It _is_ possible though. Im positive that PowerDVD3 initially needed a 350Mhz PC.

Rob99
23-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Its a PIII 667 with 128Mb ram, I will try with VLC PowerDVD 5 and Media player, will have to pinch a DVD Rom out of another computer first.

kjaada
23-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks again for your help.Don't panic tho as "we" have been working for many months
updating his machine from 4GBhhd 250Mhz with 56 RAM We now have got it somewhere near
but going further is just too expensive.He even has to wait a few weeks to get enough to hire
a DVD to test each upgrade.If you come up with something I will not be on again till tonight or tomorrow and we can arrange a contact Should I post my email address on the thread ?

Rob99
23-11-2005, 10:37 AM
You can email me through my profile, just click my username.