PDA

View Full Version : USB crash

asneddon
20-11-2005, 10:39 AM
My usb ports work o.k. except the ones on the front of my case. I can insert a flash memory mp3player and everything works o.k. except when I remove it a bsod flashes too quickly to read and my computer crashes and reboots. The remaining ports on the rear of the case cater for a scanner and mouse and seem to work fine.

This is a problem that has only arisen recently. The only mod I have made to the PC was to add more memory?

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Did you build/make the system, and connect the front USB port connections to the motherboard yourself?

Or did you buy the PC as a system? ie: Like Compaq/HP etc?

Also, what version of windows is installed?

Mackin_NZ
20-11-2005, 01:15 PM
If the OS is Windows XP go to Control Panel and click the System icon.

Click the Advanced tab and under the Startup and Recovery heading click the Settings button.

Under the System Failure heading, untick the Automatically Restart checkbox.

This wil allow you to at least see what the Blue Screen error is whe the problem next occurs.

asneddon
21-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Had pc built to my specs three yrs ago. Running XP sp2. Am now able to read bsod - "no more irp stack locations" Only recent mod is adding additional 256mb memory bought from Dick Smith.

Thanx for reply to original query.

Graham L
21-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Unplug that extra memory and see if the problem goes away. It's not unknown for memory to be faulty. :D

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Try reinstalling the USB MP3 player drivers.

The drivers for it maybe corrupt, / faulty.

If you installed them from cd, see if there's a later version on the site.

If this doesn't help, take that ram simm you brought out. And see if it crashes then, if it doesn't, it maybe the ram simm thats faulty.

bob_doe_nz
21-11-2005, 02:37 PM
When you 'remove' the device, do you click the USB icon on the system tray to disconnect or do you just yank it out when your done?

Prescott
21-11-2005, 03:12 PM
you dont need drivers for an mp3 player, only if you have win 98 or less

Cptn Hotshot
22-11-2005, 11:29 AM
I had a similar experience recently with BSOD and "no more irp stack locations" when I removed my flash stick after having clicked on the USB icon in the system tray to safely remove the device.

Is the use of the flash stick MP3 Player a new occurrance? Have you recently installed InCD (comes with Nero)? My experience was that after recently installing InCD it somehow created a conflict, especially version 4.05 (I think). Found if I uninstalled and installed a later version the problem went away.

Do a google on "no_more_irp_stack_locations".

HIH

asneddon
23-11-2005, 11:53 AM
No it's not INCD. Did a Google - amazing amount of people getting same error message. Spoke to Microsoft, knew nothing but for $35 they'd put me onto one of their techs. One the knowledge databases suggested wait for SP3!

More of an annoyance than a big problem. In the next couple of weeks will open case and take out recently purchased memory to see if that does it.

This is a great site. Never had to use it before. Really appreciate you guys help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Go to control panel / admin tools / event viewer.

Go thru the application and system entries, and see what it says here. For errors etc.