PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Upgrade

taxboy4
20-11-2005, 06:11 AM
HI

I have instructions from Intel on how to upgrade my BIOS as my pc kept crashing and the Windows error report said it noticed my BIOS did not match my processer type.

Any huge dangers in me doing this myself?

THanks

TeejayR
20-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Just make sure you either note down your current BIOS settings or capture them with a digital camera in case you need to adjust the new BIOS's default settings.

I upgraded my BIOS and it didn't allow for the fact that I had a SATA drive so it wouldn't load Windows.

drcspy
20-11-2005, 06:50 AM
depends on the mobo .......soem have safety features so ou cant really stuff it up ........however some dont and if you stuff it up you'll end up with a DEAD system which ou may have to replace the motherboard in ......

Myth
20-11-2005, 08:13 AM
HI

I have instructions from Intel on how to upgrade my BIOS as my pc kept crashing and the Windows error report said it noticed my BIOS did not match my processer type.

Any huge dangers in me doing this myself?

THanks Does Windows really tell you that your BIOS doesn't match your CPU? Never heard of it, doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen however

Anyway, you aren't overclocking or anything are you? What are the hardware specs please (mobo, CPU, O/S etc)

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Unless it has something to do with this

Prescott CPU (microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=9b99c199-5d75-454f-ae07-b620727be8d8&displaylang=en)

If you have XP and SP2, and a Prescott cpu installed.

tweak'e
20-11-2005, 10:21 AM
with bios flashing follow the manafactures instrictions EXACTLY. some require you to turn certain bios optoins off (usuall any antivirus, and bios protection and cacheing)

mark c
20-11-2005, 10:44 AM
When did this start?

i.e. Presuming your system hasn't always done this then what did you do just before this error message started coming up? New hardware? New apps? OS updates/upgrade?

I've never heard about this before either. (but then there are millions of things I haven't heard of, I guess :D)