PDA

View Full Version : Linux modem problem

Henry Crun
19-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi I'm new to Linux but trying to escape from Winworld. I've got SUSE 9 running on P733 and have just installed (Dick Smith) modem. SUSE 9 found it, installed drivers etc. but when modem dials, it hangs up during handshaking process. Logfile says "No Carrier". I've swapped modems, cables etc with no success so conclude it must be software. Modem came with drivers for SUSE 8 on CD-ROM, but no instructions on loading.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Graham L
19-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Have you set the "locality" so the modem knows it's in NZ? This can make a difference. I'm assuming it is dialling a number with a modem at the other end ;).

Henry Crun
19-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. Modem dials Clear Net perfectly, but hangs up a few seconds into the Clear Net modem handshaking. Logfile says no carrier, but I guess it must hear a dial tone to dial out in the first place.

Could it be a firewall issue?

:confused:

Graham L
19-11-2005, 03:44 PM
I doubt it. ;) While the modems are negotiating, there's no connection yet, so nothing for a firewall to object to. The log files are usually a very good guide to what's wrong. Does the negotiation "sound" normal? (I assume the speaker is on).

Henry Crun
19-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi, yes it sounds normal. The modem just hangs up and immediately redials mid-negotiation!

I wonder if the SUSE 9 drivers are wrong. If so, I'm unsure how to access the updated drivers on the CD that came wth the modem. In any case they are SUSE 8 drivers.

Sorry about denseness but I'm fairly new to Linux.

Regards

beama
19-11-2005, 05:46 PM
have you tried the dick smith site sometimes they will link to Linux drivers
I dont use Suse but I do use a win modem in fedora core 1 lappy

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2005, 12:54 AM
The drivers _should_ be fine, although if this is the HaM Modem thats quite common/cheap from DSE, I believe there are drivers on the intel homepage for it.

Cant say I know the answer to "no carrier" thou. Perhaps a google of the error + "pppd" might help

Prescott
20-11-2005, 08:24 AM
congrats on getting your dse modem recognised.

:thumbs:

i never did :(

Henry Crun
20-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks, but I think it's mis-identified the (intel) chip set. I found a legacy driver on the Intel web site so I'll see if this fixes the problem.
:badpc: