PDA

View Full Version : How to convert .mpg into .jpg

PeterE
18-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I have several segments of .mpg movie files on a Sony memory stick. How can I convert them to still .jpg shots (on my pc).

As the res of the movies is so poor I would rather have the choice of which stills to keep.

These segments vary in length but the longest is about 1.5 mins.

Of course, the 'footage' should have gone to tape, not the mem stick but these things happen in the heat of the moment when trying to video a great shot when on holiday.

TIA. PeterE

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Play the part of the mpeg, u want to capture, and press prt screen on the keyboard. Or capture, in whatever program you're using (if it has the option).

Then copy and paste it in a graphics program. And save it as a jpeg file

Shortcircuit
19-11-2005, 12:10 PM
If you're using win XP you can download Movie maker from Microsoft. (I think you have to have sp1 update though)

You can play the mpeg in MM, pause etc then click 'take photo' button bottom right of screen and it saves a jpeg to file.

Strommer
22-11-2005, 04:00 PM
If you're using win XP you can download Movie maker from Microsoft. (I think you have to have sp1 update though)

You can play the mpeg in MM, pause etc then click 'take photo' button bottom right of screen and it saves a jpeg to file.

Are you sure about this? I cannot see any such 'take photo' button within Movie Maker. Is there a special mode or section within MM to enable that button to appear?

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2005, 04:38 PM
This is from MM 2.1

To take a picture from video in the monitor

In the Contents pane or on the storyboard/timeline, select the video clip you want to take a picture from.

Do one of the following:

On the monitor, move the playback indicator on the seek bar to the frame of the video that you want to capture as a picture.

–or-

On the Play menu, click Play Storyboard or Play Timeline, depending on the view you are working in, and then pause playback at the frame of video you want to capture as a picture.

On the Tools menu, click Take Picture from Preview.

-or-

On the monitor, click the Take Picture button.

In the File name box, enter a name for the picture file, and then click Save.

Did u update MM to 2.1? Maybe its only in 2.1?