PDA

View Full Version : Broadband data help

penguin
18-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm on Slingshot's 1Mbit 3GB adsl plan. Now I am not complaining, but Slingshot seems to undercount the data I download.

For instance, last night, about 6pm, I checked my used data and it was at 240MB. I downloaded knoppix (+/-700MB) and checked my data usage again before I went to bed, about 11pm and it was at 460MB!

I've run a few other tests and they all draw the same conclusions. Is this normal? I thought ISPs would be strict and count your data to every single Byte!?

somebody
18-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Penguin, and welcome to PressF1

Quite often data calculations aren't very up to date - sometimes up to a day behind.

See what it's up to tonight.

Lizard
18-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I recently joined up with another ISP for broadband, and shortly after going live, I downlaoded all the Steam updates for HL2 , etc(??? MBs), and the NFS: Most Wanted demo (547MB), and three days later, the traffic meter showed a big fat 0. SInce then the meter has crept up to 68.1MB (1GB cap) - my only conclusion was that their monitoring kicked in a bit late, and I got away with a nice freebie. As you say, no complaint, but interesting nonetheless...

qyiet
18-11-2005, 01:31 PM
My ISP only charges for traffic that leaves their network. *SO* if I am hitting cached data on their proxy server, I don't get charged. (This is at work.. at home I have unlimited usage)

-Qyiet

penguin
19-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Ok, an update. Slingshot's data counter seems to update every hour or so, and my data has only gone up another 30MB since yesterday.

So what happened to the 700MB file I downloaded? :D

Prescott
19-11-2005, 02:09 PM
if your not getting charged for it, dont worry about it ;)

if it does show up, you would be able to see it at the end of your billing cycle....

Bazman
19-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I recently joined up with another ISP for broadband, and shortly after going live, I downlaoded all the Steam updates for HL2 , etc(??? MBs), and the NFS: Most Wanted demo (547MB), and three days later, the traffic meter showed a big fat 0. SInce then the meter has crept up to 68.1MB (1GB cap) - my only conclusion was that their monitoring kicked in a bit late, and I got away with a nice freebie. As you say, no complaint, but interesting nonetheless...

If you're on a 1gig cap per month, why the hell would you wanna waste it all on a game demo and updates to another game?

Or does your provider go to 56k speed after you've exceeded 1gig, with no extra costs?
Still, 56k is unbearable for me.

Lizard
20-11-2005, 04:01 PM
The speed drops down to 64k when you exceed the cap, but seeing as how I joined middle month, and the traffic counter resets on the 1st of the month, I thought I would put it to the test. Demo was well worth it, particularly as it didn't get included in the traffic meter.