PDA

View Full Version : Removing a device

music_man
18-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi

When I go to My Computer, win xp pro sp2, I see a removable device f:. I eject it but when I restart then it comes back. I don't have anything attached to f: because when I double click it it tells me to insert something.

Any ideas?

godfather
18-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Its likely a card slot for a camera card, perhaps its part of a printer? (many all-in-one units have camera card slots).

music_man
18-11-2005, 10:43 AM
It says removable storage device. There was a zip drive iomega thing that qwas attached a while ago...

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2005, 11:00 AM
If the zip drive entry is still showing in device manager, delete it.

qyiet
18-11-2005, 11:39 AM
It would be good to know where windows thinks your rogue device came from.

If you open device manager, and click:
View->Devices By connection
It will change the view to see which devices your removeable disc depends upon (are plugged into)

When I do this, and find my mouse (pluged in to my kbd via USB) it looks kinda like this...

MYCOMPUTERNAME
ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
PCI Bus
Intel (R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller -24D4
USB Root Hub
General Purpose USB Hub
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

This tells us that I have a microsoft mouse (for some reason listed twice) plugged into a general purpose USB hub (on my KBD) plugged into a USB root hub which is run by a Intel USB controler, which is attached to the PCI bus on my PC (most things are)

If you can find the last couple of things before the Removable drive, or at the same level in the tree as the drive, it would be helpful in working out where it came from, and therefore what to do with it.

-Qyiet

music_man
18-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I can't find drive f removable storage anywhere, even when I go show hidden connections. It ejects fine enough but it keeps popping up again when I restart.

Billy T
18-11-2005, 12:00 PM
I can't find drive f removable storage anywhere, even when I go show hidden connections. It ejects fine enough but it keeps popping up again when I restart.

Look for "zip drive iomega" by phrase or by brand name instead. If the software has not been uninstalled, the computer will keep looking for it. Go to Device manager first as recommended by qyiet.

If all else fails, do an "all files" *.* search of your C drive for Iomega, or search the Registry for it.

I assume you have checked your start-up menu? It does seem to be being loaded as part of the boot process.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rob99
18-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Do you have any virtual drive programs, eg Alchol120%, Clone?, Dameon etc

Or just ignore it.

music_man
18-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Nope. I (before I did system restore) had uninstalled the Iomega programs (and the drive remained) now I can't even remove Iomega from the add remove place.

qyiet
18-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Hmm... does it show up in disk management?
Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management

As a side note, the easiest way I've found to remove orphaned items in the add/remove programs is to re-install them, then remove them straight away.

-Qyiet

FrankS
18-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Another place to look is Control Panel | Portable Media Devices

Iomega will show in Device Manager | Disk Drives as IMG VPO

As suggested if you have a multifunction printer with a card reader this maybe set to read. With Canon it is Start | Control Panel | Printers and other hardware | Scanners and cameras | WIA Canon model | Instructions

FrankS
19-11-2005, 12:59 PM
A spot of sideways thinking

If Iomega was installed as the F drive is it possible that under Advanced BIOS Features somehow this is listed as the First Boot Device, hence demand for disc

Speedy Gonzales
19-11-2005, 01:10 PM
That might be the case, but then if it were the first boot device it'd say in on the post screen. That it cant be found.

Then boot to the next drive in line. Whatever it is. the hdd.

If the system cant find the Iomega.

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I plugged in the zip drive and it came up as G: and works fine. The F drive may have been something else and not ejected properly. It eject now.

Edit: It is called Removable Storage (F:)