PDA

View Full Version : Windows update wont install

music_man
17-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi

I went to Windows update and it downloaded office xp service pack 3. The only thing is that I recently deleted office xp and I have tried installing the updates twice but it keeps coming back asking me to install them after it has finished.

How can I remove this update please?

Thanks!

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 03:57 PM
not to sure what your doing here.

office updates are done from a different site than the windows updates (unless there is something in XP i havn't seen)

if you have uninstall office why are you trying to update it ??

can you post exactly what product, what update your trying to install and the error message your getting.

music_man
17-11-2005, 04:03 PM
It just automatically downloaded the update.

I did the windows update custom install before and excluded the office update. But then it just started by itself later on when the others were installed.

Now I don't know how to get rid of it.

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 04:10 PM
which windows do you have?

which office program do you have?

what update is it?

what error message (if any) are you getting?

detail dude, details !

music_man
17-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Sorry. Windows xp pro SP2. Office xp pro. I had deleted Office and the computer automatically downloaded the Office xp service pack 3 update. I clicked install and it says it has installed but then it pops up again asks to install again. I installed it twice and now it has appeared again.

I think it might be confused because I also have Microsoft Project 98 installed?

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 04:27 PM
check add/remove programs (you might have to unhide the updates) and see if you can uninstall the updates. then run a reg cleaner and temp file cleaner to clean out any old entries that the uninstall has left behind.

music_man
17-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Hi

It doesn't come up and the Cleaner hasn't helped either.

Hm

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 08:58 PM
i've had similar problemswith windows update before. there is a folder which you delete which is what fixed for me on a few pc's, however i have 98 and can't remeber what folder it was. hopefully an XP user can dig it out or mayby a search at MS for windows update problems may help.

music_man
17-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for your help so far. It is quite annoying. Maybe someone will know how to resolve it.

Renmoo
17-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I believe that Windows will automatically create a System Restore point (not sure before or after installation) whenever it installs patches and softwares that are downloaded via Windows and Office Update. Perhaps you can turn back the time to the point of the installation of the updates?

Cheers :)

ughnz
17-11-2005, 09:30 PM
The folder is called config.msi and is normaly on you boot drive, c drive in most cases.

If for some reason an update or patch cannot be done it will be left in this folder and when the windows installer is triggered it will try to do all the updates / patches "stuck" in the folder.

Try cleaning this folder out and see what happens.

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 09:42 PM
cheers ughnz, that sounds like it.

music_man
18-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks. I looked for a config.msi file and couldn't find one. Similarly I looked for a config folder in C drive - not there, then in the Windows folder and found CONFIG. It was empty.

Is there supposed to be a config folder in C drive? I did a whole lot of deleting folders in there - putting them in the recycle bin - intending to sift through them but then my cleaner automatically deleted them all and I am a little worried some important stuff ahs gone.

music_man
18-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I did a system restore and updated windows again. It seems to have worked.

Thanks very much for your help everyone!

Renmoo
18-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear that, music_man! :thumbs:

Cheers :)