PDA

View Full Version : PC Servicing

gum digger
17-11-2005, 01:42 PM
HI
I see these computer shops charging you 60 or so dollars for virus removal, what exactly do they do.

Metla
17-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Probally talk you into spending more money, My average service is $120, Couldn't do a very throuogh job for $60.

Even at $120 I find over half the jobs take far longer then what the cost covers.....

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 02:06 PM
at a guess, proberly just connect the hardrive to another pc and give it a quick scan, let it auto clean and then give it back hopeing your pc works afterwoulds.

i've had pc's that have taken 8 hours to scan and remove virus's. i can't think of anyone who would only charge 60 for that in any trade.

pctek
17-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Install AV, AS and firewall.
Run all the scans and usually a few others such as Hijackthis as well.
Clean it all out. Show them what to do as well as provide written docs.

Thats the minimum.
So yes $60 is fair. I charge $55 if they bring it to me - more if they want me to do all that there.

gum digger
17-11-2005, 02:55 PM
No offence but they are shameless.

Metla
17-11-2005, 02:57 PM
how so?

You couldn't have someone fix your plumbing for that amount of money.

pixeldust
17-11-2005, 03:00 PM
No offence but they are shameless.

What.. because they have the gall to charge for something that you'd do on your own home PC for free? People gotta make a living, buddy!

The place I used to work would charge a minimum $120 (1 hours charge) for all desktop PC work. We had a lot of incidents where it would take up to 2 hours to remove a virus and clean everything up, resulting in a $240 charge (+ GST), and people happily paid that. $60 ain't so bad.

drcspy
17-11-2005, 03:19 PM
$60 is good price indeed...........i wont charge a 'set' fee for such work cause it can vary from half an hour to several........

tweak'e
17-11-2005, 03:28 PM
are you sure its not "virus removal FROM $60" ??

there is proberly little chance of it being cheap as $60, just the usuall bull advertising.

memphis
17-11-2005, 03:48 PM
You could do it yourself first with all the free and good programes that you can get from the net.

If that does not work or its not your cup of tea then take it to a shop and expect to pay whatever they charge for their service,experience,...

:thumbs:

mark c
17-11-2005, 05:24 PM
The servicing I've done on PCs (free / amateur / no fatalities so far ) can for sure take hours but you can also do the dishes and weed the garden and bond with the cat and cook tea etc., because most of what is called 'servicing' is a program running on the PC, not the tech / amateur actually attending to it. :D

I don't have a problem with the service charges ( apart from never using them) because I know from other businessess a lot more things can go wrong / be wrong than those reported by the customer. :eek:

Metla
17-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Installing 2 or 3 programs and running them is not a service, To do it properly you have to know the OS inside and out,and know what you are looking at.

I can spend an hour on a system before installing anything (just uninstalling the obvious,deleting temp files and tuning the system so the scans are quicker,no use scanning 2GB's of cookies...and of course doing backups of personal data), just getting it ready for the tools to do their jobs, The tools which I might add cant find everything,and in many cases cant remove everything they find.

Once all the work has been done then it needs to be done again to make sure nothing has regenerated,and the entire process has to be done for each account.And if the system falls over then its a case of bring it back to a stable state.

Also worth noting that people generally dont get their machine serviced untill its in an unusable state, Many times the comps dont even boot or cant open a single app, or fall over shortly after reaching the desktop.

As for those doing it for free, Well top work to those that don't make the situation worse and do some good..... but there are a lot of know-nothing idiots out there ruining other peoples comps......for free.

Rob99
17-11-2005, 06:05 PM
The first thing I would look at is the startup, switch nearly everything off.

Backing up data is probally the second, can take ages.

Then try their browser online for toolbars etc.

Next I would Add Remove anything I didnt like the look of.

HJT then Reg Seeker get their turn.

I look at their anti-virus program, see how much lifes left in it, weather its updated or not.
If is alright I set it to work, if not its a phone call to the client then NOD32 is installed.

Windows is updated.

Then depending on how the computer is ruunning, its time to talk about memory upgrade, more HD space etc.

Thats just the service for the software, next I would pop the side off the case to see if it needs a dust, check cables are seated and not obstructing fans etc.

quarry
17-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Installing 2 or 3 programs and running them is not a service, To do it properly you have to know the OS inside and out,and know what you are looking at.

I can spend an hour on a system before installing anything (just uninstalling the obvious,deleting temp files and tuning the system so the scans are quicker,no use scanning 2GB's of cookies...and of course doing backups of personal data), just getting it ready for the tools to do their jobs, The tools which I might add cant find everything,and in many cases cant remove everything they find.

Once all the work has been done then it needs to be done again to make sure nothing has regenerated,and the entire process has to be done for each account.And if the system falls over then its a case of bring it back to a stable state.

Also worth noting that people generally dont get their machine serviced untill its in an unusable state, Many times the comps dont even boot or cant open a single app, or fall over shortly after reaching the desktop.

As for those doing it for free, Well top work to those that don't make the situation worse and do some good..... but there are a lot of know-nothing idiots out there ruining other peoples comps......for free.

Metla
I totally agree - you are only one of few here who knows your stuff. there are a lot of kids out there who think fixing a virus is just doing a scan & therefore do it free or charge a few bucks. theres a guy advertising in the local paper - $25 per hour - i've met him, not a kid, but not very bright - i don't know he makes a living - i had to install a firewire card for him once (kept saying firewall). note none of them mention doing a backup. this is the first thing i do. viruses used to take 10-30 min, - now - 1-2hrs, esp. on XP with 4 bloody logins etc. mind you, it's good money.

mark c
17-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Fair enough, all you techs. I am impressed by your thoroughness. :thumbs:

I sometimes think the 'tech' in some shops is a person not much more skilled than I am who can scan, update, clean out, run HJT and work on it, check startups etc. :p

Place I once worked we got new comps and the tech who came to do it was 'not very impressive'. On contacting the supplier we were told "Well, he's just learning." This has prob discloured my impression a bit.

I wonder if it would be right to say there are more amateur freebies causing problems than there are fixing them?

In which case it's good for the fixit industry. :D

quarry
17-11-2005, 07:43 PM
case in mind - an amateur - sister's boyfriend loaded 2 anti-spyware programs to fix a problem - these 2 stuffed more sypware & killed Windows - only then they called me (bill - $150) - they were damn lucky i could recover their files

gum digger
18-11-2005, 10:12 AM
This has been a good Educational Post.:-)

Metla and rob99 thank you very much for answering my question in detail.
& the others..

Rob99
18-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Forgot to mention to have a quick look over the system logs as well

drcspy
18-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Once all the work has been done then it needs to be done again to make sure nothing has regenerated,

totally agre from long experience...........reboot shows all...... and yes sometimes the nasties DO pop back........grrrrrrrr...