PDA

View Full Version : New midrange system build

bardin
16-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I've decided to build myself a new system...excluding monitor. I've done this loads of times in the past, for myself and others, but I'm not completely up on the new hardware at the moment. I'm after a decent system, price range probably around $1500 - $2000 excluding screen and Operating System. Also keen on getting RAID 1 (mirror), as I've got loads of data that I want to protect this way. Was thinking that a mobo with SATA RAID on-board would be a good idea, as long as there's no significant performance deficits or other caveats associated with this...I'm not keen on software RAID at all.

Have looked for a 'How to build' checklist online and got some tips...wanting more. The PC World 'How To' on this topic is over a year old however.

Here's my ideas:

Case + PSU:
Good looking case, plenty of room, no rough edges, lots of drive bays.
PSU 400W+, good quality, ball bearing

Mobo:
Preferably ASUS
AMD Socket 939, PCI express, good chipset (ideas?)
Onboard RAID 1

RAM
1 GB Dual-channel DDR-400 (is it worth going DDR 533 or above?)
Recommended brands...?

GPU
256MB PCIe, not too expensive (~$200 - 300 if poss,)

HDD
Two SATA II 250 GB drives set up in a mirror

Your comments appreciated, esp cheap places to buy from, and if it's worth sourcing some parts from overseas and getting them shipped to NZ? Not sure about this, have seen some pretty cheap prices quoted on tomshardware etc.

Cheers,

Brendan

pctek
16-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Case + PSU:
www.overclockers.co.nz

Make sure the PSU has a minimum of 18a of the 12v.

Mobo:
ASUS A8N-SLI or A8NSLI-Premium

RAM
1 GB Dual-channel DDR-400 (is it worth going DDR 533 or above?)
'
You can't use DDR2 in current AThlon MBs. Dual channel is determined by the MB NOT the ram - so just pick something reasonable and forget the bull**** "dualchannel" marketed stuff.

GPU
256MB PCIe, not too expensive (~$200 - 300 if poss,)

Minimum 6600GT or X800.

HDD
Two SATA II 250 GB drives set up in a mirror

Seagate. End of story.

esp cheap places to buy from,
You get what you pay for. Avoid Supercheap Computers. Buy in NZ - easy for your warranty.

bardin
17-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Cheers for the info, appreciated!

Agent_24
17-11-2005, 11:51 PM
If you are getting an athlon 64 socket 939 then I think you will need a PSU with more than 18A on 12v.
My A64 3700+ was having trouble with my thermaltake Psu that has Max 18A... I found some info on the internet and apparently the CPU takes 14A by itself (someone correct that if it's wrong, please)

Either way the computer was constantly shutting itself off with the thermaltake - now switched to enermax with 33A on 12v (dual rails) and it's been sweet since.

For ram I suggest Kingmax, its pretty cheap but it works well with A64 (solved my computer-not-posting problem)

I personally stay away from seagate, as I have had bad experiences with them, but there shouldn't be any real problem.