PDA

View Full Version : Migrating ITunes to new computer

hotkiwi
15-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Friends,
I have ITunes installed on my old computer on a C drive and the collection of songs on the D drive, which is a 160 GB drive in that computer. i bought a new system now and will put that 160 GB as extra drive in the new computer. So the music library is migrated. now I need to reinstall ITunes on my new C drive. Problem as I hear is how to make ITunes clear where to find the musiclibrary. As I read on www.ilounge.com pointing to a physical space can be quite a pain and some got so desperate that they re-ripped all their CD's.
Any experience here with migrating ITunes ?
Cheers
Johan

Rob99
15-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Can you not just get it to scan the computer to find the music??

maccrazy
16-11-2005, 11:59 AM
As long as you don't already have a music library on your new computer, just open the iTunes preferences, click on Advanced and change the location of your iTunes music library in the General section. Alternatively you could just drag and drop your music folder into the Library window in iTunes. :)

hotkiwi
16-11-2005, 06:13 PM
thanks, or could i just reinstall itunes on the new computer and have the directories filled with music from the ipod the moment where it starts synchronising? seems a little bit tricky though, might just as well erase everything from the IPOD when it syncs........ ?????

Misty
16-11-2005, 08:14 PM
t might just as well erase everything from the IPOD when it syncs........ ?????

That's an interesting one hotkiwi and am not sure of the answer. I have had tunes that it could not find on the PC, mainly because I had changed the directory. Also others where No 1 son had downloaded but not saved in iTunes but it did not delete in either case. It was only when I cleared them that it synced and got rid. Have a try with something you don't mind losing.
Misty :cool:

hotkiwi
16-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Folks, i did some research tonight. the site www.ilounge.com is very helpful. It is a tricky one, this migration. It wipes the IPOD clean, since it only synchronises from computer to IPOD, not the other way around. You can set the options to 'manual update', but only after the IPOD is connected !!!!
2 options are discussed there:
1) download shareware program IPOD Agent, 3 weeks trial is free, should be enough to do the job and manually move the files from IPOD to Itunes (takes a lot of time...), or
2) connect the IPOD and as soon as the system sees the IPOD hold ctr-alt-del and the moment where the system halts, go to options and change to manual update.

little nervous still, but gonna try option 2.

just thought I let you know.

cheers

johan