PDA

View Full Version : embedding sound in Powerpoint?

KJR
14-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Hi all
Kinda new to this but am having a problem trying to add sound into my power point presentation over a multiple number of slides. I'm using Powerpoint 2003, and have tried both .wav and .mp3 sound formats for the music. It seems I can either play the music and not have the slides advance automatically after 5 seconds, or can have the slides advance with only music on the first slide which then won't advance automatically at all? If I click on the next slide button it just stops the music?. To insert the music I went through insert > sound from file > then I choose the music. It comes up saying do I want it to start automatically or click on it, but both options only seem to work for the first slide and then I can't get any further with my slides AND the music. Unfortunately I have to send this off to someone so don't have the option of doing sound in the background through another programme (as a ratehr helpful friend suggested), so he sent me here to you guys. Any helpful ideas guys?

Jen
14-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1 :)

Have a look at this guide: Play movies and sounds continuously throughout the whole slide show (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011729321033.aspx#Repeatedly)

I hope this helps.

KJR
14-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I wish it would, I'm beginning to think i've read every help screen on there, but it still won't automatically change the slides, even though they were changing before I added the sound? should i be using wav or mp3? as it seems both can be used but they attach to the file differently? or does it really not matter?

LucyL
14-11-2005, 09:28 PM
The problems you are having are because your sounds (music) are longer in duration than the transition of the slide. You need to make sure that the sound clip is only as long as you want the slide to show for - any longer and the slides will progress but the sound from the first slide will continue until it's finished before staring the next sound.
Edit your wave or mps files to a more appropriate length.

Cheers Lucy

robsonde
14-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I think the problem is the other way around....

the slides should change every few seconds and the music should go all the way to the end of the show.

i think KJR is having a problem of when you move to the next slide the music stops.

LucyL
14-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Sorry misunderstood the problem, thought wanted different music/sounds for each slide.

To have music play right thru all slides, add the sound the the slide transition where you set up your timings and slides will progress while music continues to play.

Don't just add the music to the first slide.

Lucy

KJR
14-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I've set the sounds to go for the duration of the slides (all 27 of them) but who knows?

LucyL
14-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Add the sound to the transition of the first slide then add the sound to the transition.
Set other slides for the time you want them to display (with no sound added) and it will all run with your music from the first slide in the background.

Lucy

ps. if you add the music to the slide and not the transition the first slide will stay on screen until the sound is ended. ie. the show won't progress until all items on that slide have finished.

gill
14-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I have been puzzling over exactly this action lately and this is how I got it to work.
Insert sound from file. I don't think it matter waht format.
Right click on the yellow loud speaker that appears on the screen, select custom animation
Make sure the setting is "after previous" in the start box
Then right click the track you see in the box under this.
Select "timing"
then the effect tab
Look for the box that says "stop playing after **** slides" put in here the number of slides in your show. OK
Also its a good idea to hide this yellow speaker icon
Right click it - select edit sound object, tick "hide icon during slide show"

MikeS
14-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Just curious, why might you want to have sound playing through your powerpoint presentation?

LucyL
15-11-2005, 03:54 PM
MikeS
If you are doing business presentation you wouldn't want sound thru all slides but, if you are just showing pictures music as background is good.

Cheers Lucy

wotz
15-11-2005, 06:32 PM
My opinion is that pp is not the application you should be using. Try m/s movie maker or something similar.