PDA

View Full Version : New 'parent' spec pc

cold_fusion
13-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi all,
Im just deciding on a parts list for a new pc. I just have a question about the newer AMD chips....Which socket should I go for 939 or 754? As some of the processors I'm looking at comes in both flavours.

On another note has anyone got any recommendations for a 17" LCD monitor? I've been looking at some and reading reviews but I find the best opinion comes from someone who uses the product daily.

Thanks.

JJJJJ
13-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi all,
Im just deciding on a parts list for a new pc. I just have a question about the newer AMD chips....Which socket should I go for 939 or 754? As some of the processors I'm looking at comes in both flavours.

On another note has anyone got any recommendations for a 17" LCD monitor? I've been looking at some and reading reviews but I find the best opinion comes from someone who uses the product daily.

Thanks.
754 is now obselete. Well almost.

Metla
13-11-2005, 03:30 PM
LCD,CPU,....and everything else depend entirely on your budget.

If you can afford the higher end gear then go for it by all means.

Greven
13-11-2005, 04:02 PM
The philips LCD monitors are a reasonable price & none of my friends that have them have had any problems.

cold_fusion
13-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks JJJJJ thats what I wanted to know. Has anyone else got any info on the LCD front?

Cheers.

Metla
13-11-2005, 06:29 PM
The 939 is also in the process of being replaced, The 754 pin is alive and well in the Sempron range, All CPU sockets have a short life expetency, Let budget dictate, Fat chance of your socket still being fully suported or suported at all when the machine gets to the stage that you may want to upgrade the Cpu.

If it was a gaming machine then 939 would be the obvious choice, but thats so you could step into an Nforce4 Motherboard.

Battleneter
13-11-2005, 07:07 PM
No one actually asking you what you are planning to use the machine for makes it hard to offer any tangible advice.

However, if its general home use and the odd high end game I would suggest picking the sweet spot(price wise) for AMD 64's like a 939 3000 or 3200, both can be heavily overclocked if you wanted too, mind due there stock performance is good regardless, this will save money for a decent video card.

As for video card I would suggest at least a 6600Gt/ATI x1600 or higher and a minimum of 1 gig of ram. I would now stare Clare of the ATI X800x video card range as there is recent evidence the lack of PS3.0 may start to hurt, ie the next version 3D mark will not support any cards without ps3.0 for example.

As for LCD, Philips seems to have a crisp image and most models zero pixel warranty. The lower the millisecond response time of the model you choose the better. 15MS is good 8MS is great, over 20 and you "may" see video lag. Make sure you get Zero pixel warranty.

cold_fusion
13-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey, sorry I should have said. Its for my parents so I'll just be a low end net machine, but they want some speed too. Im getting an 8ms lcd for sure, you can see the difference. I'll probably go with a low end AGP card as it wont see any games, might get a 6600 if the budget allows it. Thanks for all the help. One more thing, what do you guys think about AOC LCD's? thry have a zero dead pixel warranty and low responce time. Anyone had any issues with them?

Battleneter
14-11-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a 2 year old 17" AOC LCD here on another machine. It is actually very clear and can be used well for gaming etc. I don't think they offer a zero pixel warranty even now? To me zero pixel is very important, who wants a new monitor with 3 dead pixels!.

However AOC have had a chequered history, some of there CRT models have been appalling (sold them in the past), both in picture quality and reliability.

JJJJJ
14-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey, sorry I should have said. Its for my parents so I'll just be a low end net machine, but they want some speed too. Im getting an 8ms lcd for sure, you can see the difference. I'll probably go with a low end AGP card as it wont see any games, might get a 6600 if the budget allows it. Thanks for all the help. One more thing, what do you guys think about AOC LCD's? thry have a zero dead pixel warranty and low responce time. Anyone had any issues with them?

I can only speak for what I have, a Viewsonic vx924. 19 inch. Over $900.
It is amazing. The best picture I have ever seen on a computer. And it is a well established company with a good reputation.

cold_fusion
14-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the info. Your right Battleneter, AOC has a zero bright pixel warranty for the 19" LCD's but for the 17" it says zero dead pixels. I'll probably go with Philips or AOC, I'm still yet to decide.
Thanks for the help.

memphis
15-11-2005, 01:17 AM
Dont go AGP.(no upgrade path)

Lcd Philips
MB Nforce 4
CPU 939 3200+ (2.0 GHz)
Ram 1 gig stick (later can add another 1 gig stick when needed)
gpu 6600gt 256mb (pci express).

Greven
15-11-2005, 08:42 AM
That is bull****. A web browsing & word procesing computer doesn't need 1 gig of RAM, doesn't need a gaming spec video card & doesn't need the best motherboard around.

cold_fusion
15-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I strongly doupt my parents need a 6600gt or an nforce 4 mobo. That sounds like my next pc!

Metla
15-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Did you mention you were looking at a non-GT 6600?, they sit just above the 6200 in performance, No where close to a 6600GT so your better off using a 6200.......