PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5 RC2

Overdrive_5000
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Firefox 1.5RC 2 has been released now you can grab it from here (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/). To me it seems to be more stable than RC1 :thumbs:

KiwiTT_NZ
11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Seems OK to me also. Miss some of my extensions, but I can wait for the realease of the real version and then the updated extensions.

Overdrive_5000
11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
You can still use your old extensions just download an extension called nightly tester tools found here (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=958) :D

Kame
12-11-2005, 12:11 AM
extensions (xpi files) are archive files, and even if Firefox has been updated, there's good chances that those extensions still would be compatible for Firefox even if they don't say so.

Download the xpi file to your hard drive, I'm not sure how you would open them in Windows, but try WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR etc which might be able to open them. Inside it you should find the install.rdf, extract it and edit the <version></version> tag to something like 1.6 etc, add it back to the xpi file, then install. *** WARNING *** If you don't know how to remove extensions manually then this may not be a good idea if that extension does conflict. Now open up Firefox and just drag the xpi file into the browser and it should install without a version conflict. There are some extensions that won't work with this method, but can be removed without halting your Firefox browser.

I like Firefox 1.5RC2, their support for SVG is fantastic, far better than Opera 8.5 which doesn't support external CSS/XSL files in SVG. Other than that, which was noticable for me, since I do a lot of SVG work, it seems just about the same as Firefox 1.0.7, I still got to find all the changes they've done with it and see if I can put those changes to work with my websites.

As for IE6 & 7, they are falling far behind, that I see they slow the future development of web designing in which I don't develop for IE anymore unless they start understanding the standards I write with. That's losing 80% of the market, but that's not a big lost in my case if my goals is to improve and make use of new technology, even though these standards have existed for over 3 years now and still no implementation from the major browser.

Cheers,

KK