PDA

View Full Version : Internet Sharing + File Sharing.

gum digger
11-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi
I want to share my internet connection + my files. the network is between 2 computers
Computer A(Host) ComputerB (Client)
-WINXP Pro SP2 -WINXP Pro
-Internet Via -(192.168.0.2)
USB Modem
(D-link DSL-200)
(192.168.0.1)
I am not able to do both things at a time, that is sharing files & Internet connection. I get success when sharing files but when i attempt to share conection that is by New connection wizzard - Set up my connection manually - Connect using a broadband connection that is always on- click Finish. & then going to Network connections - Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties - General tab - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - properties - click Obtain an IP address automatically.
this enables me to connect to the internet from clients pc. but same time i cannot access shared folders on hosts pc ( Vise versa).

Can anyone help?

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Dont use the networking wizard then :)

Setup one PC (The client) to obtain its IP Address automatically, then run over to the PC that'll be sharing (The Gateway) and tell it to Share its Internet connection.

It will then do the rest of the work and sort out dhcp server, sharing, static IP Address etc.

File Sharing should have nothing to do with it, because its permissions that it would be failing on if anything and filesystem permissions arent modified when you setup ICS.

Chill.

gum digger
11-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Got this sorted out (half). now the client pc has file sharing + internet connection. this was sorted out when typed the default gateway in host pc & set "obtain its IP Address automatically" in client pc.
but the problem now is that i cannot view clients share.

gum digger
11-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Hello.
Anybody home?.
More problems, i lost the connection between 2 pcs suddenly.

drcspy
11-11-2005, 07:11 PM
et it up so you can file share ok then goto www.analogx.com and download 'proxy' it's about the easiest way to share a connection i've ever come across......

Chilling_Silence
11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
But its not needed in this case, and that'd just make life a little more difficult.

What firewalls have you got?

How are you trying to see the client PC's network shares?

gum digger
12-11-2005, 10:18 AM
wel i have sygate PRO 5.5. and to see shares on each others computers i type in the ip address in the run dialogue \\xxx.xxx.x.x.

Chilling_Silence
12-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Good, thats fine :)

Now, just sort out your permissions.

Have you setup the Username/Passwords correctly?

gum digger
12-11-2005, 09:52 PM
where do u do that. coz it never asked me for password or anything.

Chilling_Silence
13-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Bingo!

So, you're on PC1 logged in as gumdigger, trying to connect to PC2
PC2 (to make life simple) needs to have a user on it (Even if the user is not logged in) called gumdigger with EXACTLY the same (And dont leave it blank) password.

Give that a shot and see how you go from there :)

gum digger
13-11-2005, 03:20 PM
its exactly setup like u said so. on PC1 i am logged in as admin. & PC2 its a gum digger with admin rights.

Chilling_Silence
13-11-2005, 05:30 PM
is the user "admin" on PC2 with the same spelling/password as on PC1?

gum digger
13-11-2005, 05:50 PM
no the username on PC2 is gum digger with different password.
different username/passwords on both PC's

Chilling_Silence
13-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Make the admin user on the 2nd PC then, same username/password as the one you're logged in to PC1 with.
This will at least eliminate permissions and we can start to check firewalls etc from there :)

Worst case, you can remove the user at a later date if you must