PDA

View Full Version : Connect Laptop to PA system

JayJay1
18-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi Oh Great Ones!

I would like to know how to connect my laptop to the PA system I have which runs Karaoke music, It just seems easier to programme the songs from my laptop rather than swap disks.

Can anyone help?

Please keep the explanation to something a 5 year old would understand, or send me a dictionary site.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Well, I wouldnt try it from a laptop or a desktop. If you want to hear it thru PA speakers.

It'll most probably blow the soundcard up, if it went to high.

Even if you put it thru something like an amplifier.

drcspy
18-10-2005, 09:18 AM
LAPTOP >>> AMP >>> PA............what's gonna blow up a sound card in that equation ?.........it should work fine as........jsut plug your speaker out from the pc into the amp then away you go

roddy_boy
18-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Running it thru an amp wont put any strain on the sound card....
As drcspy said, plg your speaker out from the pc into the amp.

Please keep the explanation to something a 5 year old would understand, or send me a dictionary site.
You will most probably need a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2*RCA cable. This plugs one end into your line out (headphone out if you dont have a line-out), and then the RCA plugs should plug into your amp. Then it's just a case of switching your amp onto the right input channel (aux probably), and playing the music on your laptop and away you go!
HTH
roddy

edit: Here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/435439390ceab380273fc0a87f99072c/Product/View/C1240) is the cable you will be after. Bit of a rip off so a lot cheaper to make your own if you're capable.

Graham L
18-10-2005, 11:53 AM
The ideal would be a "line" level output (for various reasons), but a speaker output will work reasonably. Just don't use the "mic" input on the amplifier, because that will certainly have noise problems.

personthingy
18-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I do this all the time. The only other thing i run into my desk are FX and the mics or DI's

I'm assuming that your mixing desk has line inputs on some if not all the channels? Mic inputs, even if they are jacks would not be a good match if used directly.

Run a lead from your laptops audio output to these you'll need a stereo 3.5mm jack > 2x6mm mono jacks

If you have a stereo channel, use that, if not, use 2 mono channels, and pan one hard left, and the other hard right.

One advantage you have with running into a PA is that you have gain controls, or input levels, which will let you match the input level and channel sensitivity.

If you want to be fanatic about quality, then you can do as i do, and run the laptop into DI boxes, and then into the balanced mic inputs. This seems to reduce the noise levels, which are low anyway, but i'm fussy.

seekn4advice
13-02-2006, 03:08 PM
hi, can anyone tell me what cable/s i need to plug laptop 2 PA Speaker? or laptop 2 Stereo and Tv? Thanks

personthingy
13-02-2006, 03:20 PM
hi, can anyone tell me what cable/s i need to plug laptop 2 PA Speaker? or laptop 2 Stereo and Tv? ThanksYou'll need some sort of amplifier, so you'll need a cable with a minature jack on one end, and whatever matches your amplifier on the other. For connecting to a stereo, its probably RCA's you'll need.

Have a look at your gears inputs. Then you can answer your own question.

personthingy
13-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Actually i'm kinda wondering whats going on here. If someone can connect together a "karaeoke machine" or "PA speakers" i suspect that person would also be able to figure what the "input" might be used for.