PDA

View Full Version : Huge Desktop Issue

ska8tdude
20-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I got a new Zen Micro MP3 player for my birthday today and it uses a USB cable to transfer the songs. Well I plugged it in and transfered the first 150 or so just fine. Then like 3 or 4 hours later I plugged the USB in the slot and the computer started to beep, and I got a balloon icon above the taskbar saying that the device used more power than the hub could handle so I restarted my computer and now whenever I try and turn it on it just continually beeps. There is no beep sequence it is just one long beep no pauses or anything. I chatted with a Compaq rep online and he said it would be my RAM so I tested both sticks individually and they both gave me the same beeping noise. Then I tested it without any RAM and the beep sequence was a long beep pause long beep pause etc. So I do not believe it is my RAM. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In case anyone is wondering im on my laptop right now. The desktop will not boot up at all, so I cannot get into the BIOS or anything.

Rob99
20-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Did you use Memtest to test your RAM?

Can you try new RAM, if that dosent work my guess is your mobo.

Sb0h
20-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I have heard of portable players blowing USB ports by trying to draw too much current. You might be up for a new mobo.

:(

beama
20-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Id go with faulty usb port as well. Is the usb port you plugged this device into front panel, if so you may not be up for a new motherboard. Try to isolate the port by diconnecting the front panel ports. They are normally connected to the motherboard by cable and pin plugs.

Or disable the usb HUB in the BIOS, Not an ideal fix but more like A temp work round

pctek
20-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I have heard of portable players blowing USB ports by trying to draw too much current. You might be up for a new mobo.

:(
I'd have to agree with this one. The Zen is really a hard drive - its not solid state. Do they provide an optional power cord or are you stuck with just the USB? Cause thats exactly what it will have done - killed the USB port(s).
Not a good idea to leave them connected for any length of time.

ska8tdude
21-09-2005, 10:45 AM
They do have an extra power cable for an extra 30$. Thanks for the help guys, looks like im screwed :(