PDA

View Full Version : Another Example of Maori abuse of the "Treaty of Waitangi"

KiwiTT_NZ
19-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Just reading Scoop (http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0509/S00228.htm).
I thought the Waitangi Tribunal was an institution set up for aggreived signatories of the Treaty.

B.M.
19-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Fair Go, these guys know no bounds.

What so many people don’t realise is that the last full-blooded Maori died some 60 years ago.

These guys are just bunch of cross-breeds in the business of extortion.

What next? :rolleyes:

pctek
19-09-2005, 02:21 PM

What so many people donít realise is that the last full-blooded Maori died some 60 years ago.

Regardless of the motives of a certain few people in using the treaty for this situation there is no call for stupid rascist comments.
All humans are "crossbreeds". And we are all the same species, no different from any other animal with minor variations in appearances.

Metla
19-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Im half German and half Scot....100 percent Kiwi

.....And I think it shows.

John H
19-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Perhaps it may help if people actually read the article...

Sam I Am
19-09-2005, 05:40 PM

What so many people donít realise is that the last full-blooded Maori died some 60 years ago.

I was going to hold my tongue on this but fer christs sake thats offensive, and not just to Maori. Did you vote based on purety of race? mutter mutter. Nope going to use the report post button rather than go on. :annoyed:

ninja
19-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Racer Sam I Am:

# Km's Driven:13449 km
# Fuel Burned:3874.56 LWhat kinda junk are you driving? 3.4km/l is crap fuel economy.

manicminer
19-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I was going to hold my tongue on this but fer christs sake thats offensive, and not just to Maori. Did you vote based on purety of race? mutter mutter. Nope going to use the report post button rather than go on. :annoyed:

Get a grip. Nothing he has said was racist. Just purely factual. They are cross-breeds, and so are we.
Stop all this "racist-card" branding and finger-pointing.

Dally
19-09-2005, 06:36 PM
I have a good mate who is full bloodied Maori with the papers to prove it and he loves taking money off people who bet him that he isn't.

manicminer
19-09-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a good mate who is full bloodied Maori with the papers to prove it and he loves taking money off people who bet him that he isn't.

Good for you. Good for him.

drcspy
19-09-2005, 06:48 PM
didn't think thats possible these days ? to be a full blooded maori he'd need parents/grandparents/greatgrandparents etc to have been 'full' all the way along I didn't think any more such existed now-a-days ?

Sam I Am
19-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Get a grip. Nothing he has said was racist. Just purely factual. They are cross-breeds, and so are we.
Stop all this "racist-card" branding and finger-pointing.

Could you please show me where I said it was racist? Didnt think so. What I said is that I find it offensive.

mark c
19-09-2005, 08:03 PM
All those pakehas from the coloniast era who have problems with the way it is @ present should be be sent back to where they came from.

...and their descendents.

B.M.
19-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Let’s stick to the facts.

There is nothing racist, or intended to be in interpreted as racist, in what I have written.

The hard cold facts are we are all cross-breeds. Most of us are quite relaxed about this situation. However, it appears that the crossbreeds with Maori lineage seem to think they are entitled to special treatment from those without.

I would respectfully suggest it is they who are racist.

My statement that there are no full-blooded Maoris alive in New Zealand is based on a question in Parliament to the Hon. Peter Tapsell when he was Minister of Maori Affairs in a previous Labour Government. He freely admitted that officially, the last known full-blooded Maori had died in 1944.

Anyone with the time and desire to research the matter will be able to find confirmation in Hansard.

So let’s not get all bitter and twisted, because in the end we are all one people albeit cross-breeds.

andrew93
19-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I've read most of the article and what I gather from the OP is the tribunal might be the wrong place to lodge their claim, but can anyone explain why funding was with-held?
A

Terry Porritt
19-09-2005, 09:11 PM
I've read most of the article and what I gather from the OP is the tribunal might be the wrong place to lodge their claim, but can anyone explain why funding was with-held?
A

Here is Ken Shirley's spin on the story:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10112152

What concerns me as much as the financial side of things is them calling themselves a 'University' when they are patently not. It's all part of yet again dumbing down qualifications.

PaulD
19-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Letís stick to the facts.

Snipped

My statement that there are no full-blooded Maoris alive in New Zealand is based on a question in Parliament to the Hon. Peter Tapsell when he was Minister of Maori Affairs in a previous Labour Government. He freely admitted that officially, the last known full-blooded Maori had died in 1944.

Anyone with the time and desire to research the matter will be able to find confirmation in Hansard.

So letís not get all bitter and twisted, because in the end we are all one people albeit cross-breeds.

Isn't it rather unlikely that the last full blooded Maori would have died in 1944 only 10 years after Tommy Solomon the last full blooded Moriori of the Chathams.

andrew93
19-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the link Terry. Looks like Labour have dug themselves a hole...

Has anyone here been on a Te Wananga o Aotearoa course?

A

Metla
19-09-2005, 09:59 PM
a friend of mine done one of their courses and was gifted a pretty flash computer loaded with expensive software, hers to keep if she passed.

She said it all started off well but by the halfway point the instructers were dropping the ball, handing out assignments but not going over the skills needed to complete them, being absent or not botherering to ensure the class knew what they had to do,even when asked.

By this time the students were floundering, every one of them falling 2 or 3 assignments behind and obviosly becoming discouraged.

Last I heard their course had fallen over, none of them passed and no one had asked for the return of the computers.

So I know of one liuttle lady who is pretty pissed off, the skills she wanted to learn were more important then the free computer, and now she has to start over elsewhere to gain the knowledge to enter the workforce.

mark c
19-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Send all the the pakehas back where they came from. We didn't ask them to come here, we didn't want them to come here, The major power they
had was their european diseases and superior firepower (like the dream world of GW Bush) .

GO HOME PAKEHA you have no right here unless you u r a kiwi.,

Metla
19-09-2005, 10:36 PM
pakeha is a strange word, I know of no one who uses it to identify themselves, I would rank it alongside calling someone a jiggaboo.

As for me, I'm at home already, And I aint no pakeha.

Myth
20-09-2005, 07:43 AM
pakeha is a strange word, I know of no one who uses it to identify themselves, I would rank it alongside calling someone a jiggaboo.

As for me, I'm at home already, And I aint no pakeha.Well, I'm stuck as to whether Im a honky, or a kiwi.. guess I will go with both :)

As for one of my long time Maori mates, one of his many nicknames was jiggabo (as well as others).

And then theres one of my partners older kids, he calls me his wigga (short for white nigga). Oh and he is Maori

Do I care what I get called... not really

As for slinging facts around that you have read or heard... just so long as you have your facts straight (ie they are you facts that were thoroughly researched by you, and not some other dude 50-odd years ago (when it was still illegal to teach or speak Te Reo in public... and most kiwis didn't know what happened at places like Parihaka)

What you read or hear, is not necessarily whats happened/happening

Funny that

The downfall of Te Wananga o Aotearoa came as a surprise to quite a few Maori, and even of the ones I know who say that what TWoA have done is wrong. Yet everyone assumes that because the institute was run by SOME Maori, that ALL Maori are at fault, and that ALL Maori are money grabbing theives.

Isnt that like saying that because (and take no offense Metla, this is just an example) that because Hitler was an evil sob, that all Germans back then were evil sobs? Or that because David Capill was a pedophile, all white kiwis are pedophiles?

Winston001
20-09-2005, 09:18 AM
The downfall of Te Wananga o Aotearoa came as a surprise to quite a few Maori, and even of the ones I know who say that what TWoA have done is wrong. Yet everyone assumes that because the institute was run by SOME Maori, that ALL Maori are at fault, and that ALL Maori are money grabbing theives.

Sadly you are right Tazz. Mud sticks. It might not be logical or fair but the impression the general public gets is that Maori are not capable of running any business or organisation.

There are very successful Maori trusts operating farms and Ngai Tahu control hundreds of millions of dollars worth of property. They are very astute.

Europeans (Caucasians) regularly commit fraud and have business failures but we don't make any comment about their race. It is irrelevant. So it should be with Maori - except that much of the Maori related corruption involves public money. That is a difference that deserves attention.

Strommer
20-09-2005, 09:47 AM

:lol: Thanks for the best laugh this morning.
Met, this is why we love you here on PF1.... telling it like it is, with humour. :thumbs:

Metla
20-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Isnt that like saying that because (and take no offense Metla, this is just an example) that because Hitler was an evil sob, that all Germans back then were evil sobs? Or that because David Capill was a pedophile, all white kiwis are pedophiles?

Um....Why would I take offence?, Im a New Zealander not a German.

And personally Germans can get shafted, 2 attempts at world domination mixed in with a few million cases of ethnic cleansing is enough to tarnish them in my eyes.

Safari
20-09-2005, 10:43 AM

And personally Germans can get shafted, 2 attempts at world domination mixed in with a few million cases of ethnic cleansing is enough to tarnish them in my eyes.

:lol: Thanks for the best laugh this morning.
Met, this is why we love you here on PF1.... telling it like it is, with humour. :thumbs:

Want to reconsider your opinion Steve.

Myth
20-09-2005, 11:44 AM

You said in an earlier post you were of part German heritage. I didn't want my comment to be seen as a personal attack on you or your family

B.M.
20-09-2005, 12:04 PM
You nailed it Winston.

It’s the Maori associated misuse of public funds that makes the difference.

Anyway, to lighten your day here’s a little poem by that renowned Australian A.B. (Banjo) Patterson. For those who don’t know, the chap that wrote Waltzing Matilda.

Bear in mind this was written about a hundred years ago. It seems some things never change? :lol:

And, before anyone starts screaming Racist, or the like, the works of Banjo Patterson are available in every Public Library.

THE MAORI’S WOOL

Now, this is just a simple tale to tell the reader how
They civilized the Maori tribe at Rooti-iti-au.

THE Maoris are a mighty race—the finest ever known;
Before the missionaries came they worshipped wood and stone;
They went to war and fought like fiends, and when the war was done
They pacified their conquered foes by eating every one.
But now-a-days about the pahs in idleness they lurk,
Prepared to smoke or drink or talk— or anything but work.
The richest tribe in all the North in sheep and horse and cow,
Were those who led their simple lives at Rooti-iti-au.

‘Twas down to town at Wellington a noble Maori came,
A Rangatira of the best, Rerenga was his name—
(The word Rerenga means a “snag”—but until he was gone
This didn’t strike the folk he met—it struck them later on).
He stalked into the Bank they call the “Great Financial Hell”,
And told the Chief Financial Fiend the tribe had wool to sell.
The Bold Bank Manager looked grave—the price of wool was high.
He said, “We’ll lend you what you need—we’re not disposed to buy.

“You ship the wool to England, Chief!—You’ll find it’s good advice,
And meanwhile you can draw from us the local market price.”
The Chief he thanked him courteously and said he wished to state
In all the Rooti-iti tribe his mana would be great,
But still the tribe were simple folk, and did not understand
This strange finance that gave them cash without the wool in hand.
So off he started home again, with trouble on his brow,
To lay the case before the tribe at Rooti-iti-au.

They held a great korero in the Rooti-iti clan,
With speeches lasting half a day from every leading man.
They called themselves poetic names—”lost children in a wood”;
They said the Great Bank Manager was Kapai—extra good!
And so they sent Rerenga down, full-powered and well-equipped,
To draw as much as he could get, and let the wool be shipped;
And wedged into a “Cargo Tank”, full up from stern to bow,
A mighty clip of wool went Home from Rooti-iti-au.

It was the Bold Bank Manager who drew a heavy cheque;
Rerenga cashed it thoughtfully, then clasped him round the neck;
A hug from him was not at all a thing you’d call a lark—
You see he lived on mutton-birds and dried remains of shark—
But still it showed his gratitude; and, as he pouched the pelf,
“I’ll haka for you, sir,” he said, “in honour of yourself!”
The haka is a striking dance—the sort they don’t allow
In any place more civilized than Rooti-iti-au.

He “haka’d” most effectively—then, with an airy grace,
Rubbed noses with the Manager, and vanished into space.
But when the wool return came back, ah me, what sighs and groans!
For every bale of Maori wool was loaded up with stones!
Yes—thumping great New Zealand rocks among the wool they found;
On every rock the Bank had lent just eighteen-pence a pound.
And now the Bold Bank Manager, with trouble on his brow,
Is searching vainly for the chief from Rooti-iti-au.

personthingy
20-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Send all the the pakehas back where they came from. We didn't ask them to come here, we didn't want them to come here, The major power they
had was their european diseases and superior firepower (like the dream world of GW Bush) .

GO HOME PAKEHA you have no right here unless you u r a kiwi.,
Home? (or is it "/home"? :p )

I have more races in my breeding mix than can ever be traced, including the possibility of moari, so if "home" isn't this country, this being the one i was born in, would you please tell me what is?

Also, for all my faults, of which there are many, i have never lowered myself to the point where my self image, mana, or call it what you like is built on concept of race, or the actions of any of my many ancestors. It is my own actions, my own acheivements and mistakes that count, not the theretical actions of Great Great Great Uncle Whatshisface who was of course super-human as no one wants to speak ill of the dead.

Also i'd like to point out that ALL people in this country are imigrants or decedants of imigrants. It doesn't matter wheather you flew in, or your ancestors sailed or rowed in. There is no such thing as a truly native NZ people.

Back to the article.... Funding was being cut back so the course would only be available to Moari. Aotearoa Institute were fighting this. Quite frankly i think it should have been the human rights commision fighting this. I fail to see how this was the action of Moari pulling the race card as has been suggested above. Indeed it seems quite the opposite.

Of course this is a seperate issue to if the course was run properly, or worthy of further funding as it may well have been yet another scam, something that seems to pop up again and again, and certainly not from only moari orientated courses or orginisations!

mark c
20-09-2005, 06:48 PM
My posts in this thread were foolish stirring. I overreact to percieved criticim of Maori because I know a lot. The Hokianga is 50-50 Maori and Pakeha/Europen/white/Caucasian/ whatever you like.

Sorry

Greg
21-09-2005, 06:11 AM

Ditto. I'm 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Scots, 1/2 Russian, and also definitly no 'pakeha'.

I rank the term along with kaffir (http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+kaffir&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) and gaijin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaikokujin).

Strommer
21-09-2005, 07:43 AM
Want to reconsider your opinion Steve.

Nah, cuz someday I wanna see his big screen set up!

pctek
21-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Home?

Also i'd like to point out that ALL people in this country are imigrants or decedants of imigrants. It doesn't matter wheather you flew in, or your ancestors sailed or rowed in. There is no such thing as a truly native NZ people.

You could say that about most countries in the world. Aren't we all natives of Africa?

personthingy
21-09-2005, 08:47 AM
You could say that about most countries in the world. Aren't we all natives of Africa?Um no. There are a few places with truly native people. The West Island of NZ is one of them.

Anyway the point i was trying to make by pointing out "ALL people in this country are imigrants or decedants of imigrants" is that we are all imports, so lets just get on with it now, OK kiddies! :xmouth:

personthingy
21-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Want to reconsider your opinion Steve.Is there something wrong with the ability to see the flaws in one of ones own races, it's tendancys, or its history?

Hey Safari, you wanna here me start slagging poms, or rather slagging off stereotypical english arrogence and the ability to complain endlessly?

Hilton
23-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Hello mark c
Don`t tell me to go home I am home. I am a New Zealander.Not a maori.
And don`t call me a pakeha.In my day that meant a pa bug according to my Maori friends. I don`t like being called it OK hori.
How old are you I think you are only a kid
Ever been to war to look after "our" country. I bet NO.