PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Reloading of Web Pages

Strommer
09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Is there any way to stop certain web pages from automatically-reloading?
Google News and especially CBSNews.com keep reloading. I am on dial up and it is annoying. If disconnected from the net, the page cannot be retrieved.

I use Firefox, latest version.

tweak'e
09-09-2005, 10:18 AM
is it auto redownloading or just redrawing?

no idea with firefox but opera can have a simaler problem expecially with big pages on a slow dailup, simply set the redraw for a longer period of time.

also check your not blocking google servers ie host file/add blocking

Coaster
09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
My guess would be no, they probally have coded in a refresh in the meta tags.

Greg
09-09-2005, 03:57 PM
is it auto redownloading or just redrawing?

I think it's both. Something to do with their no-cache, cache-control and refresh tags.

Not sure how to overcome them myself, but I'm positive there's a way, though it's quite possible their pages would not be viewable, similar to how you can block refer agent etc, and a site may redirect you to a 404 error or similar.

Greg
09-09-2005, 04:00 PM
If disconnected from the net, the page cannot be retrieved.
Of course you can save the page to hard-drive, then browse to the page later when online again, and the links will still be there.

sal
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Both pages are refreshing themselves at regular intervals, Google news via the meta refresh technique, and cbsnews via javascript. For Firefox there exists an extension to disable meta refresh (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=992), the cbsnews.com method can be stopped by disabling javascript.

Greg
09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Both pages are refreshing themselves at regular intervals, Google news via the meta refresh technique, and cbsnews via javascript. For Firefox there exists an extension to disable meta refresh (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=992), the cbsnews.com method can be stopped by disabling javascript.
Sal to the rescue. I thought it might be as simple as that.

NZCity TV guide is another one that auto-refreshes, but it was a tad beyond my skills to remember/pinpoint how to prevent it.

Strommer
09-09-2005, 10:13 PM

Thanks Sal !

Tweak: Redownloading vs. Redrawing :confused: .
Dunno da diff.

tweak'e
09-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Tweak: Redownloading vs. Redrawing :confused: .
Dunno da diff.

redrawing is when the browser actually displays the page ie the browser draws te page. redrawing is when it draws it when its halfway downloaded, then redraws it when its fully downloaded or has changed. on a slow download the page may only be downloaded once but its redrawn 2-3 times which can make it look like its been downloaded 2-3 times in a row.

Metla
09-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Proximitron.

It is the answer to everything.

Strommer
10-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Met, I have Proxomitron, thanks to your :thumbs: advice ages ago. So I guess it means that I need to sift through all the controls to find how to stop pages from reloading-redrawing? When I set Proxomitron up the first time, I think I went through and ticked just about everything so that pages download fast as possible (can always select 'bypass' for pages that don't load properly).

<Edit> Ah ha! Found "anti-auto-refresher" in Proxomitron. Also ticked a lot of other things - gad, there are quite a few java killers. For some reason those boxes that I ticked long ago became unticked.

Metla
10-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Once you make changes you then have to save it as the default profile, otherwise it will just load up the old settings the next time it is run.

vinref
10-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Is there any way to stop certain web pages from automatically-reloading?
Google News and especially CBSNews.com keep reloading. I am on dial up and it is annoying. If disconnected from the net, the page cannot be retrieved.

I use Firefox, latest version.

On a different note, I am on dial-up as well but I find the google news re-load is very fast and fairly unobtrusive. I actually prefer that the news pages be updated constantly, but to speed things up I use the text-vesrion of google news, and make extensive use of my hosts file to block out ads and other irrelevant content on pages I view. You may also use it to avoid querying your ISPs name server all the time, but it needs to be constantly updated.

There is a firefox tweak though: type about:config ion your address bar and enter, type "frequency" in the filter and double-click on browser.cache.check_doc_frequency. Use a value of 0 (check doc once when you first visit) or 1 (check everytime you revisit). Do not use 2 (never check, only use cached copy). Default is 3 (check at some pre-determined intervals). Browser scripts can over-ride this though.

Metla
10-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Proximirton would take care of all that and much much more with one mouse click, it can filter out everything right down to text only if you so desire.