PDA

View Full Version : one long beep (bios codes)

chinadoll
30-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Hi
I got a ONE LONG BEEP bios codes noise from my computer from time to time when the computer is running. ( no problem to start up the computer)
I have the computer checked out by computer shop (I have also run the memory test for 7 hours, not error appear)but the 1 long beep noise still there.
Can anyone help to sort out this one beep problem?

Gigabye 81915P Duo Pro motherboard.
P4 3.2ghz CPU
1g DDR2 Ram
Gigabye NX66T128VP PCI-E graphic card
120g h/d

Thank you.

lazydog
31-08-2005, 12:08 AM
I saved a txt file to my comper concerning Beep codes. I'll copy and paste it below. It's mainly for older computers but It maybe of help to you?.......

What is a BIOS Beep Code?
When you power on a computer the BIOS immediately takes control of the computer and performs the P.O.S.T (Power On Self Test). At the end of the POST the computer will play an audible 'BEEP' through either the PC's internal speaker of through speakers attached to the sound card (if you have a built-in sound chip). If the POST completed successfully without detecting any problems with then system will play a single short beep to let you know the test is complete and the computer will continue to startup and load the operating system.

If during the POST the BIOS detects a problem it will normally display a visual error message on the monitor explaining what the problem is. However, if a problem is detected before the BIOS initializes the video card, or a video card is not present or not detected then the BIOS will play several 'BEEPS' through the speaker to let you know there is a problem. Depending on the type of the BIOS you have the BIOS may play beeps in a specific pattern to indicate what the problem is, or play the same beep a number of times indicating the problem. It is very important that you pay close attention to the number and/or pattern of the beeps your computer plays on startup.

Below is a table of the most common AMI, Phoenix and Award BIOS beep codes.

AMI (American Megatrends International) BIOS Beep Codes.
AMI BIOS uses beeps of the same length and pitch. The error is displayed as a number of beeps. For example, 4 beeps indicated a timer failure.
BEEP CODE MEANING POSSIBLE CAUSE
1 Beep (No video) Memory refresh failure Bad memory
2 Beeps Memory parity error Bad memory
3 Beeps Base 64K mem failure Bad memory
4 Beeps Timer not operational Bad motherboard
5 Beeps Processor error Bad processor
6 Beeps 8042 Gate A20 failure Bad CPU or Motherboard
7 Beeps Processor exception Bad processor
8 Beeps Video memory error Bad video card or memory
9 Beeps ROM checksum error Bad BIOS
10 Beeps CMOS checksum error Bad motherboard
11 Beeps Cache memory bad Bad CPU or motherboard

Award BIOS Beep Codes
Award BIOS uses beeps of varying duration. A long beep will typically last for 2 seconds while a short beep will last only 1 second. Award BIOS also uses beeps of different frequency to indicate critical errors. If an Award BIOS detects that the CPU is overheating it may play a high pitched repeating beep while the computer is running.
1 Long, 2 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter
Repeating (Endless loop) Memory error Bad memory or bad connection
1 Long, 3 Short Video adapter failure Bad video adapter or memory
High freq. beeps (while running) CPU is overheating CPU fan failure
Repeating High, Low beeps CPU failure Bad processor

Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes
Phoenix BIOS uses beep code patterns to indicate problems. In the table below the '-' indicates a brief pause between beeps.

Example: 1 - 1 - 2 would sound like BEEP <pause> BEEP <pause> BEEP BEEP
1 - 1 - 2 CPU / motherboard failure Bad CPU / motherboard
1 - 1 - 3 CMOS read/write failure Bad motherboard
1 - 1 - 4 BIOS ROM failure Bad BIOS chip
1 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 2 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 2 - 3 DMA failure Bad motherboard
1 - 3 - 1 Memory refresh failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 1 Address line failure Bad memory
1 - 4 - 2 Parity error Bad memory
1 - 4 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
1 - 4 - 4 NMI port failure Bad motherboard
2 - 1 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 1 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 2 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 3 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 3 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 1 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 2 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
2 - 4 - 4 64K memory failure Bad memory
3 - 1 - 1 Slave DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 2 Master DMA failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 - 3 Interrupt controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 1 -4 Slave IC failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 -2 Interrupt Controller failure Bad motherboard
3 - 2 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 2 - 4 Keyboard control failure Bad motherboard
3 - 3 - 1 CMOS batter failure Bad CMOS battery
3 - 3 - 2 CMOS configuration error Incorrect setting
3 - 3 - 3 <RESERVED>
3 - 3 - 4 Video memory failure Bad video card or memory
3 - 4 - 1 Video init failure Bad video card or memory
4 - 2 - 1 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 2 CMOS shutdown failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 3 Gate A20 failure Bad motherboard
4 - 2 - 4 Unexpected interrupt Bad processor
4 - 3 - 1 RAM test failure Bad memory
4 - 3 - 3 Timer failure Bad motherboard
4 - 3 - 4 RTC failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 1 Serial port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 2 Parallel port failure Bad motherboard
4 - 4 - 3 Coprocessor failure Bad motherboard or CPU.
9 - 2 - 1 Video adapter incompatibility Use a different brand of video card

Myth
31-08-2005, 07:14 AM
One long beep is (usually) a memory error.

Could be anything from a bad contact with the mobo, to memory on its way out.

Try reseating the RAM in the motherboard, see if that helps

chinadoll
31-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi Tazz
I only received one long high pitch beep, some time is one short beep no error appear on monitor.
My bios is Award
Thank you

B.M.
31-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Chinadoll, do you have a microphone attached by any chance? (feedback)

Just thinking, it may not be a POST code because the computer is up and running.

Also, does the beep come from the internal speaker or external speakers?

:2cents:

bartsdadhomer
31-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Looks like a fairly new PC
If you bought from a shop and it's still under warranty take it back and tell them to sort it.
Be careful they just dont disconnect the system speaker though
I reckon it's pretty unlikely to be a bios beep if you're already into windows though.
If the memory was bad, XP would more than likely not start or crash as soon as the desktop tried to load
I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem
Does your case have a "Case open notification" option in the bios or through a 3rd party monitoring program, if it does disable it and see if you get the beeping again

chinadoll
31-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi guys
It is very new home build computer. No mic attach to computer, only a internal buzzer.
I have this problem checked out by the computer shop who I brought the graphic card from.
Now, while Im typing this notice I don't get any beep noise. ( from turn on computer to finish this notice, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't)
Any ideas?
Thank you.

Graham L
31-08-2005, 04:20 PM
If you get a long beep while Windows is running, it's not a BIOS POST error indicator. Once the POST has finished, and the OS is booting, the POST code is forgotten until the next start up.

Have a look at the Control panel "Sounds" page, and see if a long beep shows that something meaningful to Windows has happened.

B.M.
31-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I haven’t experienced the problem "1st hand", but I think on a machine such as yours you can get a “temperature warning beep”.

You say it’s home built, so are all the fans running and the heat-sinks properly fitted?

Jen
31-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Check to make sure you don't have any stuck keys on the keyboard. I've had my system beeping at me before due to the keyboard buffer overflow alert.

chinadoll
31-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Hi boys & girls.
I get the long beep sound while the window is running but sometimes is couple short beeps. HA HAI didn.t get any beep sounds for whole evening, even now , no beep. WHY? WHY?

B.M : The temperature is running at 30-40 degree most the time.and heat- sink was propertly fitted

Graham : There is no long beep shows on Sound Tab of Control Panel

Jen : Keyboard is fine, no sticking keys.

Would it be the motherboard that causes the problem?.

Please help.
Thank you.

Joe_Davies
01-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Almost certain to be an overheating problem.

As soon as it happens, turn off your computer and let it cool down for a while. If it runs for too long, you could fry your chip. Ouch!

Get the shop to test your system to make sure it is dispersing heat properly. If all else fails, try removing the side panels of your computer box. It's a cheap option, but it works (yeah, I know it's supposed to be more efficient with the side panels on, but it worked for me!).

Joe

Graham L
01-09-2005, 03:18 PM
It is almost certainly the motherboard detecting a problem. It might even be a motherboard problem. I'm inclined to suspect a temperature problem; keyboard overrun (from a stuck key) usually gives a continuous stream of short beeps.

If you built the computer yourself, you should still have the manual for the motherboard. (Hint ;)).

chinadoll
01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi,
I don,t think overheat is the issue, Because my system have 2x120mm chassis plus one 80mm side intake fan direct blow on to CPU's heat-sinks beside that it have a thermostat right next to the heat-sink which monitor the temperature.( the temperature led show the range from 29-41)
Do you think I should dissemble the system and send back the motherboard to test?
Any more suggestions please!
Thank you.

B.M.
01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Ok, firstly, did you fit the heatsink and fan to the cpu?

Secondly, does one particular programme cause this grief?

If so, what is the programme your using when the beeping starts?

chinadoll
02-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi BM,

Yes, I did fitted the heat-sinks on top pc cpu properly.

I think I may sorted the beep sound problem. a month ago , I had changed a setting in: CMOS SETUP UTILITY.-at PC Health Status.( I had changed the CPU Fan Fail Warning to ENABLED) Now, I have changed it back to the default setting which is DISABLED . So far so good it has no have any beep sounds yet.
Please tell me if i have done the right thing by change the setting to ENABLED.

The following is the PCHEALT STATUS setting in CMOS SETUP,
V core ok
DDRV ok
+3.3v ok
+12v ok
Current cpu temp 33`c
current cpu fan speed 1442 rpm
cureent power fan speed 0rpm
current system fan speed 0rpm
cpu warning temp [80`c/176`f]
cpu fan fail warning [disabled]
power fan fail warning [disabled]
system fan fail warning [disabled]
cpu smart fan control [enabled]
cpu smat fan mpde [ auto]

Can anyone tell me if the above setting are correct?
The motherboard is Gifgabye GA-81915P Due Pro with Award Bios,
Thank you .

chinadoll
03-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi,
Just a quick note to let you guys know that the LONG BEEP SOUNDS has be sorted.

This particular motherboard is equipped with CPU SMART FAN CONTROL function, it mean if cpu temp is more than 65 degree, cpu will run in full speed but when cpu temp is lower than 40 degree, cpu fan will be disabled.

As I had changed the cpu fan fail warning to enable and as the first few minutes when Window start up and cpu was running below 40 degree. That was why, I had got the LONG BEEP SOUNDS.

Thank you for the help.

Unregistered
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
hello.. am getting a long beep sound when i switch on the pc.. doesnt even show any screen on the monitor... any idea why? or possible cause?
hope i getta a reply sooon
Thanks...

Graham L
07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Welcome Unregistered. Here is an Unanswer.

I'll guess memory, this time.

The first step is to half-remove then push back the memory sticks. This makes sure that the sticks are making proper contact with the motherboard sockets.