PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get into Safe Mode.... help !

Strommer
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Today I went over to my friend's house and he roped me into putting new RAM into his PC. Fine - no problems - installed OK and the system recognized the new 512 Mb, giving a total of 768 Mb. His PC is WinXP Home, 2 GHz. OK, so far so good, booted up fine and ran a few programs.

But then we ran Nortons System Works. Win Doc found a few errors, nothing major. Still all OK. Nortons Disk Doctor would not scan unless it was scheduled to start after booting, so this was done. The box was ticked to "automatically repair errors". After scanning Norton's instructed us to reboot. Now the problem arose... instead of WinXP starting, it stalls in the DOS type text and keeps rebooting. So, I hit F8 to get the Safe Mode option but the arrows (up down right left) on the keyboard do not work at all so we cannot select Safe Mode. I thought it was a faulty keyboard but it works fine on my PC.

We hit the reset button a few times and also the on off button, but zilch.

What to do...???

Thanks.

....from Steve and Wayne, perplexed...

bartsdadhomer
07-08-2005, 10:05 PM
If it won't boot normal or safe then your only option is to run the XP CD and do a Repair Install

Metla
07-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Rather then doing a repair install try just replacing the mbr.

Jen
07-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Are you saying that you can get into the boot menu, but cannot select safe mode because the arrow keys on the keyboard do not respond, or have I got the wrong end of the stick from your post? Is this a USB keyboard or PS2?

mark c
07-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Try the numbers then, like usually "3" for Safe Mode.

Strommer
08-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Are you saying that you can get into the boot menu, but cannot select safe mode because the arrow keys on the keyboard do not respond, or have I got the wrong end of the stick from your post? Is this a USB keyboard or PS2?

Yes Jen, correct. Cannot select Safe Mode because the keyboard arrow keys will not work. PS2.

Going over to my friend's house this morning and will report back here...

Strommer
08-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Try the numbers then, like usually "3" for Safe Mode.

Will do. Thanks.

I am also wondering if F8 is the correct key to press while the PC first boots up. F10 instead? Cannot recall.

Myth
08-08-2005, 07:59 AM
If it won't boot normal or safe then your only option is to run the XP CD and do a Repair Install
Rather then doing a repair install try just replacing the mbr.Have you tried either of these ideas? Top idea first, if it boots to Windows, reboot a couple of times to make sure the fix isn't temporary. If it happens again, try Metlas idea.

Incidentally, I personally have had issues with Nortons Sys works on XP to the point I had to reformat (year or 2 ago). I would advise get rid of it (if it will let you)

Strommer
08-08-2005, 08:46 AM
if it boots to Windows, reboot a couple of times

The problem is that it will not boot to Windows.

A new mbr ? !!! :rolleyes: :lol:

bartsdadhomer
08-08-2005, 09:58 AM
if it boots to Windows, reboot a couple of times

The problem is that it will not boot to Windows.

A new mbr ? !!! :rolleyes: :lol:

you can replace the MBR by booting from the XP CD
is this a brand name machine? eg hp, compaq etc?
if the kybd is PS2, try a usb kybd, make sure u enable usb kybd in BIOS 1st

Metla
08-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Boot from the cd, at the first option screen choose repair,you will be taken to a command prompt.

Type fixmbr and hit enter

MBR stands for Master Boot Record.

You can also try fixboot and hit enter.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx

Strommer
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
<< MBR stands for Master Boot Record. >>

Ha ! I thought it was "motherboard", and it was another Metla witicism.

Thanks for the advice. Will try these things later today.

Strommer
08-08-2005, 10:10 AM
you can replace the MBR by booting from the XP CD
is this a brand name machine? eg hp, compaq etc?
if the kybd is PS2, try a usb kybd, make sure u enable usb kybd in BIOS 1st

He got it from PB Technologies.

Will try the USB keyboard if the other suggestions don't work.

Thanks.

Rob99
08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I take it Norton did not give the desired result…to quote the man for the bacon advertisement…"funny that"

Note:The above was a piss take at Norton

SurferJoe46
08-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I built an icon I can click to enter Safe Mode from the desktop.

This might not be handy for this poor person, but it is a neat idea for anyone why foresees this as a happenstance for the future.

1. Right click an empty area of your desktop.
2. Select New>> Shortcut.
3. In the command line enter this path: C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM /D:M then click Next.
4. Choose a name for your shortcut. Click Next.
5. Here, you can select an icon for your new shortcut.
6. Click Finish.
7. Right click your new shortcut and select Properties.
8. Place a checkmark in the box labeled "MS-DOS Mode".
9. Uncheck the box labeled "Warn before entering MS-DOS Mode".
10. Click OK.

Now, whenever you need to enter SafeMode, you can easily do this by double-clicking your desktop shortcut :D

drcspy
08-08-2005, 12:25 PM
errrrr..if the arrow keys dont work but other keys do.........dont forget there are two sets of arrow keys on the board........the ones on the number pad and the 'other' arrow keys.......have you tried both ?

Strommer
08-08-2005, 12:35 PM
errrrr..if the arrow keys dont work but other keys do.........dont forget there are two sets of arrow keys on the board........the ones on the number pad and the 'other' arrow keys.......have you tried both ?

His keyboard is unusual / different than most. It only has one set of arrows. But I will take my (USB) keyboard over - it has two sets. Thanks for the reminder. It is basic stuff like this that is often overlooked.

Strommer
08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
We tried my keyboard and the arrow cursors worked.
But whatever we selected [Safe Mode(s), Last known configuration], the PC still rebooted to the screen that gives the choice of Safe Modes & Last known config.

So we put in the 6 floppy disks for WinXP set up, and selected R for repair but this only gave us the option of EXIT so we tried FIXBOOT, which did nothing except to reboot as usual. BTW, if left unattended, the PC keeps rebooting to the "Safe Modes / Last Config" screen. The weird thing was that when we tried "bootcfg" it gave us the option to REBUILD but typing that in gave us an error message and selecting HELP brought up a list that did NOT include REBUILD. We saw FIXMBR but there was a warning that damage to the partion tables may result so we did not try this.

You are probably wondering why we did not boot from the WinXP CD. We did put in the CD but the PC would not boot from it and I cannot remember how to configure the PC to boot from a CD.

We tried pushing F10, F8, and F2, either all the time or repeatedly during boot up. This was tried many times but did not result in anything other than the usual DOS type screen with the Safe Modes & Last Config options.

Was it OK for me to make the 6 floppy disks on my PC or is this a no-no? We both have WinXP SP1 (SP2 not installed) so I assumed that the basic boot files (.ini or whatever they are called) would be the same.

After inserting the 6 floppies (egad they are so slow, so last century!) we had hoped that selecting REPAIR would fix everything, but not for us.

BTW, when rebooting, the WinXP logo flashes for a second or two, then the DOS type screens appear.

OK, so if I did not stuff up the PC by using the 6 floppies, how do we get the PC to boot from the WinXP CD? Remember that pressing the F keys do not seem to do anything.

Any other tricks besides doing a reformat?

Should we try FIXMBR ?

Thanks.

bartsdadhomer
08-08-2005, 05:29 PM
To boot from the CD enable CD as first boot device in the BIOS and HD0 as second
Yes you have nothing to lose by trying fixmbr
Also Rebuild won't work unless you use it with the appropriate commands
commands to rebuild the bootcfg can be found here

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

I've never found a very useful tool as you need something to add or rebuild, if the bootcfg is missing there is nothing to rebuild, it mightjust be nme but I've never had any luck with it. having said that I've only played with it a couple of times.
Must do some serious homework on it one day as I'm probably dribbling crap.

Strommer
08-08-2005, 07:17 PM
To boot from the CD enable CD as first boot device in the BIOS and HD0 as second

But just how exactly is this done?

bartsdadhomer
08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
If it's a standard machine with no manufacturers preboot logo rubbish then when you turn the machine on it will display the post screen and display video card, hard drives, Memory etc and you will also notice a bit of info that says "Press DEL (delete key) to enter setup.
This will take you to the BIOS
If it's a standard BIOS the screen will turn blue and on the second line will be "Advanced" use the up/down arrow to highlight it and press enter
From there you will be able to set the boot order

Strommer
09-08-2005, 05:30 PM
UPDATE (still need help):

First of all, we discovered that my friend's keyboard automatically locks the numeral pad which disables the cursor arrows. At least now I don't have to drag my kb over to his place.

We managed to get into the BIOS > Advanced and set the boot order for a WinXP CD boot up, and from there we got into the Recovery Console and tried:
bootcfg /fixmbr .... also tried "rebuild" and "fixboot". It only took an instant for these items to be run (is this normal, to be so quick?).

Anyway, as you can guess, nothing helped and we keep getting thrown back to the DOS-type screen that lists the Safe Mode(s) and Last Config .... but choosing these does nothing.

Are we looking at reformatting and starting over, or are there other options?

Thanks. - Steve and Wayne

bartsdadhomer
09-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Do a Repair install from the XP CD
See here for details
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
or here
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/

Strommer
10-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks much Bart. Will do later today.

Great screenshots and directions from those links. Even I should be able to do it!

Strommer
11-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Do a Repair install from the XP CD
See here for details
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
or here
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/

Hello Bart,

We finally bit the bullet and did a reformat. This evening my friend is frantically looking for the modem drivers CD and the data backup CD I made for him recently, much to the amusement of his wife who flaps about the untidy PC area. :lol:

Those two websites you gave us are quite good. I followed the directions carefully but WinXP did not give us the option for Repair (not within the Repair Console but the other whatever it is called). However, this scenario was covered in the website and the final last gasp option prior to reformatting was to go back to bootcfg and try the two 'command' lines, but this did nothing.

I kept my friend in a positive frame of mind, telling him that he would have a squeeky clean new OS, fast and free of rubbish. He was happy, but that was before he could not find all of the installation CDs.

Thanks again for the assistance - everyone who contributed.
Slowly, I creep forward towards my Geek Certificate. :p :cool: