PDA

View Full Version : CD-R Discs capable of more than 80 minutes of data

chiefnz
21-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey guys I was just wondering... do you get CD-R discs which are capable of holding more than 80 minutes of audio data?

I have a DJ mix compilation (one of my own sets at a party I played at) that I have recorded and I want to burn it to CD... trouble is the standard CD-R (80 minute) will not fit the data. I've tried Nero's over-burn function but it still refuses to burn as it says the disc is not big enough for the data.

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2005, 12:03 PM
If the DVD / CD you're using can play MP3's, I would make an MP3 CD.

You'll get more on the CD.

There's a few programs that say they can overburn, BUT as you found out, most of them dont let u do it.

Graham L
21-07-2005, 12:13 PM
I have seen once (in Warehouse Stationery) 90 minute CD-Rs. The packet said they worked only with some brands of drive.

They had only packets of 10 and I had only one possible use, so I didn't bother.

chiefnz
21-07-2005, 12:22 PM
If the DVD / CD you're using can play MP3's, I would make an MP3 CD.

You'll get more on the CD.

Yeah thanks for that... only problem is that I don't have an MP3 player in my car.. it's a standard Kenwood CD player...

Bugger...

cheers

chiefnz

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Follow the steps here. See if it will work

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20010830/outer_limit-05.html#creating_a_90minute_cd_stepbystep

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=XC4725&CATID=&keywords=90+min&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Sell 90 min for $1.45 each

Dragonslayer
21-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I have used these ones from PB Technologies before:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CDBLAS1010

tweak'e
21-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah thanks for that... only problem is that I don't have an MP3 player in my car.. it's a standard Kenwood CD player...

the problem is that overburnt cd's don't always play in standard players. a mates cd player won't even handle 700meg disks.

it might be better to split it into 2 disks or edit it and shrink it to fit.

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Then there's the fact your CD-RW Drive might not be able to actually burn more than a 700MB CD too.

I like Tweak'es idea, two discs would be better than one in this instance IMHO

Jeremy
21-07-2005, 05:02 PM
How long is this piece of music?

Two CDs won't really work as there would be a huge gap in playback while you switch discs.

chiefnz
22-07-2005, 09:06 AM
The 1st set is about 74 minutes long and the 2nd is about 73 minutes long.

Splitting had occurred to me but it breaks the flow of the mixing and well 35 minutes on a CD just sounds like a waste! (forgive the pun)

I've tried dropping the bit rate from 128 to 112 but no change it would still be the same time just uses less space.

Guess I will have to get those 90 minute discs somewhere.

Speedy
The link you posted for Jaycar, if I buy off that site will the items be coming from Aussie or NZ?

cheers

chiefnz

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I've tried dropping the bit rate from 128 to 112 but no change it would still be the same time just uses less space

exactly what you want. this will fit more music on the disk, except it won't sound as good.

Jeremy
22-07-2005, 09:51 AM
exactly what you want. this will fit more music on the disk, except it won't sound as good.
This would be OK, if you were burning as an MP3. But it will be burnt as a WAV as the poster is after an Audio CD that he can just put in any player and listen to.

tweak'e
22-07-2005, 10:05 AM
This would be OK, if you were burning as an MP3. But it will be burnt as a WAV as the poster is after an Audio CD that he can just put in any player and listen to.
the resulting wav file is SMALLER. drop the bitrate of the mp3 means its loses data. when he converts it to a wave file it will be smaller, hence he can squeeze more onto a disk.

havn't you wondered why you can make a music disk from your mp3's and you can fit more songs on it than what came out on the orginal disk ??

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 10:33 AM

Splitting had occurred to me but it breaks the flow of the mixing and well 35 minutes on a CD just sounds like a waste! (forgive the pun)

I've tried dropping the bit rate from 128 to 112 but no change it would still be the same time just uses less space.

Guess I will have to get those 90 minute discs somewhere.

Speedy
The link you posted for Jaycar, if I buy off that site will the items be coming from Aussie or NZ?

cheers

chiefnz

Can't see why they wouldn't come to you from NZ.

Theyre on the corner of Khyber pass Rd / end of Boston Road, Mt Eden. (Just around the corner, from Mt Eden Prison).

Not too far from where I am. Or I would give them a ring, to make sure.

agent
22-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Er, does 74 minutes of audio no longer fit on an 80 minute disk, or what?

chiefnz
22-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Problem solved.... I edited some of the music and it fits onto a 80 minute CD-R now.

Incidently I got the figures wrong...

1st set was 79m 45s

2nd set was 79m 37s

cheers

chiefnz

Bryce_Beattie
22-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Yaeh,

If you make your music into MP3 formant it will fit more songs on to it it some times even expandes it for aproxx 15 mins. But as some of as already said you can buy 90 min discs.

PS- Make saure to use apple i-tunes as you have mor flexabilty on wat you want and dont want wan and you can choose the format. to get this FREE software for windows/mac go to www.apple.com

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Nah Itunes is a waste of space. This is only worth installing, if u have an Ipod for MP3's and into Podcasting. (BUT there are better programs around for both MP3's and Podcasting).

Use Winamp and the Ipod plugin for MP3's (If u use an Ipod).

Much smaller and neither have to run a command in the registry / startup.

If u want to burn MP3's as is, just use Nero. Or any other program that can burn MP3's.