PDA

View Full Version : how does a wireless keyboard connect with the computer?

ssssss
26-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I am ignorant on this, but could someone tell me, if one gets a wireless keyboard and mouse, how do they connect with the computer?
Do they need a special card to go inside the computer, and if so does the one card do for both devices?

Metla
26-05-2005, 02:55 PM
They have a reciever, It either plugs into the usual keyboard/mouse ports or a usb slot.

ssssss
26-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks Metla, that was quick.
They will each have a different receiver won't they?

plod
26-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks Metla, that was quick.
They will each have a different receiver won't they?
unless its bluetooth

Metla
26-05-2005, 03:01 PM
If purchased seperatly, If you buy a mouse and KB combo they use the one reciever ....at least all of them that i have handled done so.

ssssss
26-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Yes - I am thinking of running two computers side by side with the same keyboard and mouse. So far I have had good advice from PressF1 on how to do that for non-wireless, but how would one do it if the keyboard and mouse were wireles? One could plug receivers into both the computers, but how would the computers know which one I wanted to use? Or could one plug the receiver into the KVM switch? That would be the way to do it, I suppose.
Thanks

Biggles
26-05-2005, 04:02 PM
As long as the software's installed on both PCs I don't see why plugging it into the KVM wouldn't work - especially if you use a USB KVM. Of course, I haven't actually tried it ....

Metla
26-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Which software?

Wireless Keyboards and mouses don't require any....

Rob99
26-05-2005, 04:24 PM
You would need a second reciever for the second PC, other than that it would be easy.

You may be able to buy a keyboard and a mouse seperatly and get two recievers, you would need the same brand and have to check first that both recievers will connect to bothe keyboard and mouse.

Biggles
26-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Which software?

Wireless Keyboards and mouses don't require any....

Don't those MS combos require drivers?

Biggles
26-05-2005, 04:46 PM
You would need a second reciever for the second PC, other than that it would be easy.

You may be able to buy a keyboard and a mouse seperatly and get two recievers, you would need the same brand and have to check first that both recievers will connect to bothe keyboard and mouse.

I've got a USB KVM here (but not a wireless keyboard/mouse). You connect the KVM to both PCs via USB cables (Using one of the USB ports on each PC). Then connect your USB keyboard and USB mouse to the two fron USB ports of the KVM. Now it looks to me like you wouldn't need a second reciever - just connect the single reciever to one of the front USB ports on the KVM and then switch between PCs normally. Will try and steal a wireless keyboard and mouse from someone and try it out.

tweak'e
26-05-2005, 04:46 PM
you only need to drivers for the fancy dodahs ;)

kvm switch would be the easiest to run the keyboards etc on both pc's. you could use 2 receivers but you would have to switch between channels on the mouse and keyboard all the time which may not be any easy/good thing.

edit. one small trap, don't get a usb keyboard if your pc can't use a usb keyboard with default bios settings.

Metla
26-05-2005, 04:49 PM
As far as i know only for the hotkeys,and Im pretty sure they work under XP without needing the drivers ( I set one of these up a week ago and can't for the life of me remember the details)

The computer itself is quite unaware that there is a gulf between the keyboard and the reciever....

godfather
26-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I used to have a wireless PS2 mouse.

It would not work when I got my KVM switch

Graham L
26-05-2005, 04:57 PM
A USB one is more likely to work with a KVM than a PS/2 one.

Biggles
26-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm going to try this out tomorrow with the KVM I've got here. Will report back.

Ninjabear
27-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I dont think there is such thing as a bluetooth keyboard rite?

Metla
27-05-2005, 12:37 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=033

The marketing

The ultimate wireless desktop. Give your desktop the very best. This stylish set offers the pinnacle of performance, technology, and comfort. Bluetooth wireless technology provides you with the best power and reliability, and the Wireless Optical Mouse with tilt wheel gives you worry-free accuracy.

The Reality.

Over priced crapola.

|llus|oN
27-05-2005, 10:13 AM
In answer to the question about having two computers side-by-side both running wireless kb/mouse setups, thats exactly what I have. Both using a4tech units and there is no interferance between the two. They have a little switch thingy on them that can be used to change radio frequencies if there is a problem. Never had to use it tho. As for the drivers ... I use the a4tech one for the k/b, BUT prefer the m$ one for the mouse. Works fine. (about the only m$ product I can really vouch for ... lol )

Biggles
27-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Well I'm up and running with a MS wireless keyboard and mouse connected to a USB KVM switch, which is connected to two PCs. Works fine, no problems and as Metla pointed out, I didn't even need to install the software/drivers for it to work. So, you don't need two receivers, and you can go wireless with a KVM.

Jeremy
27-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I believe the correct answer is:

It Doesn't

ssssss
27-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all your trouble Bruce,
When you say MS keyboard and mouse, I expect it would work with HP ones as well. As I am thinking of getting a HP computer.
Also one of my systems would be Windows ME. I wonder if that would work just as well as Windows XP?
:)

Overdrive_5000
27-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Windows ME = Crap, I also think the same about HP pc's :2cents:

But thats just my opinion :@@:

plod
27-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I dont think there is such thing as a bluetooth keyboard rite?
wrong there is

Biggles
27-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all your trouble Bruce,
When you say MS keyboard and mouse, I expect it would work with HP ones as well. As I am thinking of getting a HP computer.
Also one of my systems would be Windows ME. I wonder if that would work just as well as Windows XP?
:)

Dunno - these are both XP pro boxes I've got here.

Ninjabear
27-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Would you say bluetooth keyboard are better than the wireless keyboard?

By better I meant the connection between the keyboard/mouse and the receiver.

plod
27-05-2005, 04:07 PM
yes, and easier to add devices, although I don't know how friendly xp is with bluetooth

Graham L
27-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Dunno - these are both XP pro boxes I've got here.

The KVM box behaves like a keyboard and a mouse to the computer hardware, through the BIOS interface. It should make no difference whether the OS is Windows XP, Windows ME, or DOS or Linux as long as the BIOS supports USB keyboard and mouse.

WirelessKM2KVM
02-06-2005, 03:39 AM
Well I'm up and running with a MS wireless keyboard and mouse connected to a USB KVM switch, which is connected to two PCs. Works fine, no problems and as Metla pointed out, I didn't even need to install the software/drivers for it to work. So, you don't need two receivers, and you can go wireless with a KVM.

Bruce and Friends,

Glad to hear that u r fine with ur wireless keyboard/mouse and KVM. Well...I have a problem. I bought this Belkin KVM switch which takes in PS/2's and I have wireless keyboard and mouse. I have a single wireless receiver which receives both the keyboard and mouse and gives you only one USB output which is plugged into my PC.

Now I am trying to put this USB thru a PS/2 KVM switch. It just didn't work. The receiver itself dies off meaning the power light on the receiver comes on and goes off immediately. Finding it kinda hard to resolve this.

Any pointers on how to connect my single USB wireless mouse/keyboard receiver to a 2 port PS/2 KVM switch would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ninjabear
02-06-2005, 05:46 AM
I had so much problems setting up the bluetooth dongle in windows 98se.I even tried the dongle on an XP computer.Setting bluetooth irritates me!

godfather
02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Bruce and Friends,

Glad to hear that u r fine with ur wireless keyboard/mouse and KVM. Well...I have a problem. I bought this Belkin KVM switch which takes in PS/2's and I have wireless keyboard and mouse. I have a single wireless receiver which receives both the keyboard and mouse and gives you only one USB output which is plugged into my PC.

Now I am trying to put this USB thru a PS/2 KVM switch. It just didn't work. The receiver itself dies off meaning the power light on the receiver comes on and goes off immediately. Finding it kinda hard to resolve this.

Any pointers on how to connect my single USB wireless mouse/keyboard receiver to a 2 port PS/2 KVM switch would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think you can.
You will need a KVM that has USB inputs most likely.