PDA

View Full Version : Removing curry smell

Shortcircuit
02-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm moving house.... anyone know an easy solution to get rid of strong curry smell in cupboards? I mean really get rid of it, not just hide it for a while with another smell!

plod
02-05-2005, 05:01 PM
vinager

EX-WESTY
02-05-2005, 05:02 PM
Try Nil odour, you can spray it or place it on soaked cotton balls in the cupboards.
The other method may be to seal or paint the inside of the cupboards to bond the smell in and stop it leaching as it were.

Shortcircuit
02-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys, vinegar sounds the cheaper option so if that don't work I'll try the nil odour... or burn the cupboards :-)

The joys of moving!

Safari
02-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys, vinegar sounds the cheaper option so if that don't work I'll try the nil odour... or burn the cupboards :-)

The joys of moving!

This comment from a website.

I have an upholstery cleaning service and in 20 years have not found a cure for curry. One of the largest companys in the U.S. for odor removal is called UNSMOKE. When I spoke to them and asked about curry removal they said "gasoline and a match"

Edward
02-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Supposedly burning a wax candle works, haven't tried though

theother1
02-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Supposedly burning a wax candle works, haven't tried though
Yeah, but it has to be a big one and have a pile of paper around it and be in the cupboard. Anyway, whats wrong with curry?

Peterj116
02-05-2005, 07:34 PM
If you find out, tell The Warehouse how to get rid of the smell.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10121187

As for me, I'd happily move into a place that smells like curry.

Mmmm....

Misty
02-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't know if this would help but if you have a fridge where you need to get rid of a smell the best way is to use vanilla essence. Maybe the same would work in cupboards --- but I just don't know. :eek:
cheers and good luck !
Misty

sam m
02-05-2005, 08:56 PM
If you cant beat it, join it.
Eat it. Eat lot and lots of curry. Then you will smell like the rest of the house and bingo, smell gone.

Strommer
02-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Baking soda will remove any smell, including cat c*ap, if left long enough.
For the fridge, a box (or other container) of baking soda left opened will absorb odours.

If the vinegar does not work, try a mixture of baking soda and water.
And you will have fun with the fizzing foam that results! :D

lovesparsley
11-03-2006, 06:26 AM
Greetings everyone,

Nice to meet all of you.

Recently I moved into a new apartment. ;) I have lovely neighbors, but, unfortunately, they constantly cook with curry. I'm concerned that not only is the whole apartment continually filled with the smell of curry, but also, once I move my things in, how will I keep them from absorbing this odor?

Any suggestions for dealing with curry on a very regular basis?

Please help!

Thanking all of you in advance.

EX-WESTY
11-03-2006, 06:49 AM
Get new neighbours ! :p

Greg
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Get to like curry. It's fantastic! Whenever I open my spice cupboard, the aroma of the spices wafts out and just inspires me to cook! mmmmmm :)

bob_doe_nz
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
A gallon of petrol and a match works wonders. :lol:

DangerousDave
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Recently I moved into a new apartment. ;) I have lovely neighbors, but, unfortunately, they constantly cook with curry. I'm concerned that not only is the whole apartment continually filled with the smell of curry, but also, once I move my things in, how will I keep them from absorbing this odor?

Haha funny you should mention that. We discussed this in one of my law papers as a case of very, very similar nature was raised. It was a while back when we did it (I don't remember the name of the case) but it classes as nuisance, and you can (if you are really angry) sue accordingly. Its known as private nuisance and you could possibly have a case.

stu161204
11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Get to like curry. It's fantastic! Whenever I open my spice cupboard, the aroma of the spices wafts out and just inspires me to cook! mmmmmm :)

Yum! :)

A gallon of petrol and a match works wonders. :lol:

LOL :D

mark c
11-03-2006, 11:54 AM
The suggestion I've heard about this is think of the smell as oil. Oil droplets impregnated with the fragrance of curry (mmmmmmmmmm) have got into the woodwork or onto sealed surfaces.

If you treat the sealed surfaces like a greasy roasting pan dish which needs a hot soapy scrub and several (pref hot) rinses to get clean then you're on the way to removing it. But from exposed woodwork, doubtful, as the oil has soaked into the wood and you will have to replace the wood. Not likely.

I think above someone suggested getting to like the smell, think that's the most practical suggestion.

Renmoo
11-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Greetings everyone,

Nice to meet all of you.

Any suggestions for dealing with curry on a very regular basis?

Please help!

Thanking all of you in advance.
I suppose you can avoid opening your windows and door when they are cooking. At the same time, place a couple of air-freshener in your house to cover the curry smell; switch on the fan if necessary. In a worst-to-worst scenario, you can wear mask :D ;)

Cheers :)

mark c
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I suppose you can avoid opening your windows and door when they are cooking. At the same time, place a couple of air-freshener in your house to cover the curry smell; switch on the fan if necessary. In a worst-to-worst scenario, you can wear mask :D ;)

Cheers :)

line 2: missing plural
line 4: dunno about "worst-to-worst". Most unlikely. Better to use the more
familiar "worst case scenario".
line 4: missing indefinite article

cheers JK HTH m

SurferJoe46
11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Perhaps a small-yield nuclear device?

I hate curry...it makes me barf........ :mad:

Graham L
11-03-2006, 02:22 PM
dunno? (www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=what+does+dunno+mean&meta=) If you can spell "scenario", surely "don't know" isn't too hard?

mark c
11-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I hate curry...it makes me barf........ :mad:

"hate curry"? How can anyone hate curry? :D

You just haven't eaten one you like yet. :)

Metla
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Draw a comical pictute of whatever God they worship, Slide it under their door.

They will either move, Or hack you to bits in your sleep. Either way, the curry issue willbe sorted.

Personally i love Indian food, I would take it over just about anything, But the smell of some peoples places is bad real bad, There is a local dairy I can't even walk into because the pungent stench makes me choke....

Renmoo
11-03-2006, 04:16 PM

cheers JK HTH m
Thanks for your comment, Mark. Before I proceed on, what does "HTH" short for?

I suppose you can avoid opening your windows and door when they are cooking. At the same time, place a couple of air-freshener in your house to cover the curry smell; switch on the fan if necessary. In a worst-to-worst scenario, you can wear mask

You said,

Missing plural? If I am not mistaken, "door" should be "doors", then. I have heard of the expression "worst-to-worst" used with the word "case", but not "scenario" - until I had created it myself. e.g. "Worst-to-worst, we can fly down there". Missing indefinite article - that, I don't really have a clue. Perhaps you can enlighten me, please?

Cheers and thanks. I really appreciate your comments. :)

SurferJoe46
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
the "worst-to-worst" is just bad English and application of the wrong version of the words...If you MUST use this clumsy term, at least say it a little closer to what won't hurt English-hearing ears...

"worse-to-worse".......but it's still very clumsy and just harmful to my ears...kinda brings tears to my eyes too.

SurferJoe46
11-03-2006, 04:26 PM
this: " I suppose you can avoid opening your windows and door when they are cooking. At the same time, place a couple of air-freshener in your house to cover the curry smell; switch on the fan if necessary. In a worst-to-worst scenario, you can wear mask"

1) has a plural missing in the air freshener...needs an "s" because you already stated that you should use a "couple of" them.....ergo, pluralize the air fresheners.

2) the "door" part requiring a pluralization is not at all true....especially if you home has multiple windows, but only ONE door...OK?

3) "mask" requires a delineator...like "a"...

Greg
11-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Curry is like sex. Even a bad one is good! ;)

mark c
11-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your comment, Mark. Before I proceed on, what does "HTH" short for?

You said,

Missing plural? If I am not mistaken, "door" should be "doors", then. I have heard of the expression "worst-to-worst" used with the word "case", but not "scenario" - until I had created it myself. e.g. "Worst-to-worst, we can fly down there". Missing indefinite article - that, I don't really have a clue. Perhaps you can enlighten me, please?

Cheers and thanks. I really appreciate your comments. :)

HTH hope this helps

I was thinking of air-fresheners. I did wonder about the "doors" but then I do know of a dwelling that has only one.

Worst-to-worst. OK if you want. English is being reinvented all the time. A bouncy lil ting.

English 001. Correct this phrase......."you can wear mask"

(I won''t get fussy about the full stop. :D)

HTH m

Laura
11-03-2006, 05:58 PM
One more vote for the vanilla essence - for the cupboard.

I don't know how successful it is with curry, but my non-smoking cousin swears vanilla essence in a saucer sitting on her mantelpiece cuts down her air pollution when smokers visit.
Perhaps if you scattered a few drops around the interior?

Worth a try - and the smell is pleasanter than vinegar for food cupboards.

SurferJoe46
12-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Laura: Is James writing your material now?

"Worth a try - and the smell is pleasanter than vinegar for food cupboards."....huh?

Shortcircuit
12-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Curry is like sex. Even a bad one is good! ;)

Try asking Mrs Greg the following:

"Well honey... tonight would you rather have a good curry or some bad sex?"

My guess is you'll get neither :)

And I shudder to think about the people who were 'doing the business in my pantry' when I started this thread long long ago. The baking soda worked though... or my schnoz got acclimatised to the whiff.

Cicero
12-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Here is the solution.

http://www.odormedic.com/