PDA

View Full Version : wiring network sockets

bjocque
20-04-2005, 08:29 AM
guys, whats the colour coding / pin number for wiring up a lan socket?(wall jack, running from router up through roof and down wall to wall socket behind the door (nice and discreet) then to pc in room via cable) whats on the socket is different to whats in me book

socket had

8 = brown, brown white, green, green white, blue, blue white, orange, orange white (think it was t586b)

the dif between t586B (=straight through???) and t586A (= cross over???) <--- think i might have that right??????? (comments welcome)

book sez

pin 1 = orange white, 2 = orange, 3 = green white, 4 = blue, 5 = blue white, 6 = green, 7 = brown white, 8 = brown ??????

pheonix
20-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Straight through is what you need.

And the colour code you posted is correct.

tweak'e
20-04-2005, 08:56 AM
the book is correct. (for a straight through).

with the other way you will be stuck at 10Mbs non-duplex.

Overdrive_5000
20-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Try here (http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm)
it might help you. :thumbs:

bjocque
20-04-2005, 10:19 AM
cheers guys, all good jibbers :thumbs:

Graham L
20-04-2005, 01:10 PM
The essentials are: You must use the wires in pairs ... the "twisted pairs".
You must use the correct pins for the pairs ... 1&2, 3&6 are the important ones for Ethernet. (4&5, 7&8 are the other two pin pairs).
In fixed wiring, you always connect pin for pin.

The actual identifying colours (green, green/white, etc) of the pairs don't matter to the signals but it's best to follow a standard.

Connecting the 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 pins in that odd "socket" scheme (not 568b) would not have "limited you to 10MHz"; using one pair and two "half pairs" would probably not work at all.

tweak'e
20-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Connecting the 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 pins in that odd "socket" scheme (not 568b) would not have "limited you to 10MHz"; using one pair and two "half pairs" would probably not work at all.

it will still work .....trust me ;) (tho most cards will try to run 100mbs full duplex and of course it will fail, but 10mbs half duplex will still run)

bjocque
20-04-2005, 02:21 PM
so what we're saying is connect the wall socket as pin 1 = orange white, 2 = orange, 3 = green white, 4 = blue, 5 = blue white, 6 = green, 7 = brown white, 8 = brown ??????

Graham L
20-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes. I wouldn't recommend trying any other. Even with tweak'e's seal of approval, I'd stick to the right way. ;) Even he probably tried that way by "accident". ;)

As you will have seen, orange/white and orange are twisted together as a pair and all the other colour/white and colour pairs are twisted. This is an essential part of their functioning as RF transmission lines. (It's recommended practice to not untwist more than half an inch of each pair when terminating them to connectors).

The symmetrical layout of the inner two pairs of pins in the socket are for (US) telephone usage. With the flat "silver satin" cable used for phones, it doesn't matter which way up the plug is fitted to the cable; the 3&6 and 4&5 pairs will still connect.

tweak'e
20-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend trying any other. Even with tweak'e's seal of approval, I'd stick to the right way. ;) Even he probably tried that way by "accident". ;)

quite correct. its not recommended to do things the wrong way. o yes it was by "accident" :help: :D

bjocque
21-04-2005, 08:18 AM
wired up socket and the plug (to router) (used t586a) 1 = white green, green, orange white, blue, blue white, orange, brown white, brown on 8 = couldn't get link/connection ; plug into router, laptop to office and plugged into socket using lead that worked straight from router to laptop, no go!!!!

just unscrewed socket at work (lost one screw of course :-) and it (double lan outlet is wired up as what is colour coded on my wall socket/jack ie, 8 = brown, brown white, green, green white, blue, blue white, orange, orange white and the 2nd outlet/jack plug was a different order but still the colours in pairs (ifn you know what i mean)

from what i've glewaned off the net yesterday its easier (to remember) simplier to go with t586A??????

hmmmm, now i'm just confused

pheonix
21-04-2005, 09:00 AM
If you notice the posts, you will find the emphasis on keeping coloured pairs together. The difference between the two standards is that the orange and green pairs are swapped, the "pairing" positions are still the same.

I would re-check your connections, as these are usually the weak point in an install. The router will be using 2 pair , one for transmitting data, the other for receiving data. Just one of those 4 wires are not connected correctly, and it will not work.

If you get stuck, I have a tester you could borrow.

bjocque
22-04-2005, 08:40 AM
it is done, thank you to all that contributed, i a little slow on the uptake but got there in the end, missus is happy, she got fast internet and email (connecting at 100mbps so mighta got something right :->), now i just gotta get rid of that zip drive she doesnt use etc lol

cheers muchly, appreciate your help and paitience

tmk

Aurealis_
23-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Excellent network wiring and cabling help can be found here: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Weblink-req=viewlink-cid=34.php